Thread: What laptops are you big tuners running

Advanced Tuner

What laptops are you big tuners running

Just curious what everyone who tunes for a living is running. I just had my second Lenovo take a dump on me. I like a numeric keypad and touch screens as a couple of my favorite options. My latest Lenovo (Yoga) had crumby USB C ports for the charger and inputs. The charger port broke (I new it wasn't going to last) and my repair guy said it something he can't fix. I also hated using USB C to USB converter boxes for everything.
    I think I might go with a older used laptop that still has regular USB ports. What do you guys think? Any ram or processor minimums to worry about?

Acer Nitro 5 1TB nvme 32gb ram 11th gen i7, wifi 6. and stuff

Advanced Tuner
    Does that have actual usb ports on it?

Advanced Tuner
    Ive got a Dell Latitude E5530 ive been using for 8 or 9 years now. Its been good, I buy a new battery for it every other year.

Just got a Dell Latitude 3520 with normal config. Had my wife take it to work and wipe it clean when it was new and only install what i wanted. Its got a 1TB SSD and 32GB Ram, i think it has the Core I7.
    2 SS USB ports, 1 normal USB port, 1 USB C.
    I wish it had a docking station receiver tho like my E5530 has, Battery last for several hours riding around tuning which is the best part.

I just purchased an HP lappy (12th Gen i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB M.2). It has two USB-A ports and one USB-C. I think if you look around, you'll find both styles of USB ports on quite a few laptops (IOW: Finding ones WITH USB-A ports should be pretty easy if you take a look).
    Working on being HPTuners literate.

- Paul J.

Senior Tuner
    LG Gram. Could use another USB port but great. Battery life is phenomenal. I can tune a full work day and not need a charge. Light and small
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Every few years I go through a whole mobile workstation research phase since I have to keep a pretty stout machine for 3D Laser scanning, CAD, and structural and flow simulations. The processor, RAM, and GPU are all ridiculous specs so it's all I can do to get anything still reasonable size and weight. I usually demote whatever my previous unit was to tuning and other high risk duty (getting in and out of a car with, vibration, etc) but find they're just too cumbersome and heavy (15.6-17.3" screen and 6-9+lbs) to tune with them often. One thing I can definitely say you DONT need or want is a mobile workstation!

Relative to those other kinds of tasks, HPT isn't very demanding on the computer, so my only parameters for a tuning dedicated machine would be: the smallest and lightest laptop or tablet with USB3.0 port, numeric keypad (unless you're not lightning fast proficient with one anyway, then sacrifice that for a smaller frame size), and touchscreen that works well with a stylus pen (awesome for hand manipulating 2D and 3D charts!). The best setup I've seen is a touchscreen tablet on an adjustable windshield suction cup mount that lets you position it down just to the right of the steering wheel. Stylus pen clipped to the side of it. The ultimate rig to me would be to add a mount for a USB numeric keypad just below it.
    As far as brands, I've been very happy with HP/Intel units for business class stuff, but not sure if that translates to their smaller lighter products as well.
    Last edited by CaudleDynamicsLLC; 12-18-2022 at 09:44 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Dell inspiron 7506. the touch screen comes in handy and usb port on both sides of laptop with micros sd reader. SSD make the startup happen in like 3 seconds. Hard to find a 10 key on a laptop these days.

Tuner in Training
    I am a cyber security guy and Lenovo has the most issues as far as laptops go. I recommend Acer, HP, and Dell. I have had all of them, (also several crap Lenovo). Lenovo has issues with USB drivers and ports (having issues with my current work Lenovo USB's). A middle grade of the other laptops will work for a very long time. My 10 year old HP is still working perfectly with HP tuners however, I always have AC power for it because the battery is weak. I use the laptop for tuning then move the files to my desktop with multiple monitors so I don't need "Helen Keller" print. If you want a number keypad, you will need a 17 inch, heavy laptop (I had one of those also but was only single core processor, very old).
    Bernie Pella
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by BPella View Post
    I am a cyber security guy and Lenovo has the most issues as far as laptops go. I recommend Acer, HP, and Dell. I have had all of them, (also several crap Lenovo). Lenovo has issues with USB drivers and ports (having issues with my current work Lenovo USB's). A middle grade of the other laptops will work for a very long time. My 10 year old HP is still working perfectly with HP tuners however, I always have AC power for it because the battery is weak. I use the laptop for tuning then move the files to my desktop with multiple monitors so I don't need "Helen Keller" print. If you want a number keypad, you will need a 17 inch, heavy laptop (I had one of those also but was only single core processor, very old).
    Most of the Lenovo's we've had the Keyboard craps out....but no USB port issues.

We've(me the and 4 of my 5 boys)have been using different Dell(s) for the last 2 years now, I still use a Lenovo Idea pad S340 with a USB Keyboard for some downloads, my Main Dell still uses an older version of HPTuners for certain customers. I have 2 more with newer and older versions of HPtuners mostly for comparisons , all the desk tops computers are Dell and both servers are older Dell2900s I use those strictly for storage of Tune files and Logs.
    62 Biscayne 425/409 SS/D stock class car 10.60s
    66 Dart 426CIG3 8.60@171 2750lbs Naturally asperated
    04 Ram All Alum , 468Ci G3 10.50s @4800 lbs Naturally asperated
    04 Rumble Bee, built 6.1 ,4000lbs 10.48 @ 129s MPH. Naturally asperated
    05 Rumble Stock 5.7, 3.92s TUNE ONLY 13.94@98mph

Advanced Tuner
    All of mine have been HP, and I love them. For me, 10 key is a must. I never thought I would use the touch screen when I bought my previous one, but once I started and got used to it, it was great. Fast forward to black Friday this year, and I bought a newer HP (without touch screen, or a CD drive), and I love the loss in weight losing the CD drive, but am kind of torn on giving up the touch screen.

I have a Swiss Gear backpack that I carry everywhere. Laptop, HPT cable, Holley cable, a few misc. USB drives, several cable to cable adapters, a 12v to 110v inverter, a wireless mouse, and lots of other random stuff... So, I think I'll take the loss in weight and just get used to no touch screen/no CD (I think I put a CD in my previous one maybe twice in 4 years)

Things I would look for IMO...
    - i5 or better processer
    - SSD drive (This is HUGE for what we do. File access is dramatically faster)
    - 10 key
    - 8gb or more RAM

Tuner in Training SolarSupremacy's Avatar
    Dell Latitude Rugged Extreme.

Cellular. Serial ports. Touchscreen. Water proof. Drop proof. Perfect for shop conditions.

Also has a docking mount so you can integrate it with your vehicle's electronics and other computery things.

Doubles as a weapon once you're legally in the right to give someone blunt force trauma.