Thread: MPVI2 will not resync even after forcing firmware update

Potential Tuner

MPVI2 will not resync even after forcing firmware update

I've already submitted a ticket for this and the end result was I'm being told that the interface has failed and I need to purchase a new one since I've had this MVPI2 for a few years.

Long story short, I tried to connect to my 2018 GMC Sierra for some data logging with the scanner. It again wanted to update so I let it go through the update process. However, instead of finishing and connecting like usual, it just stopped after the update, wouldn't start the resync process, and fails to connect. Both the PWR green light and the HOST red light remained lit at this point. The update was done while using the USB cable. I tried all the troubleshooting steps I was sent, including forcing the firmware to update by holding the bluetooth button for 10 seconds while plugging in. This tries to force a firmware update but I end up at the same result, no resync, contact support.

Anyone have a similar issue before and find a way to get it working again? I really don't want to spend $400 on a new interface right now, especially when the update in this new 5.0.4 software is what decided to brick my MVPI2.
    2018 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2L Max Tow
    1994 Camaro Z28 6 speed manual (heavily modded)
    1989 Camaro IROCZ Z28 350 TPI

Potential Tuner
    Just as a further update from the emails I received from Support, I'm now being told that it is an internal failure but they can't give out any info as to what has failed or why. So it apparently can't be repaired, I can't get any info on why it has failed other than that it has something to do with the update it tried to apply to the interface when I tried using it Saturday, and the only option is to pretty much buy a $400 new interface.

This makes me glad that I have not purchased any credits for tuning vehicles at this point because that money would be wasted along with the money I spent on this interface. Not very pleased with the support I have received from this incident.

Not sure what may have happened as I'm running V5 on 2 different MPVI2 devices & a MPVI3 without any issues. I have others that are running older software until I feel comfortable the new versions just in case.

Did your device work properly when scanning before trying the new version and firmware?

Potential Tuner
    The update I'm referring to was either a firmware update or a resync update, unfortunately when it launched and started it did not specify what it was doing in the scanner program. It just started without asking me if I wanted to perform the interface update and then apparently failed in the process. I was already on stable version 5.0.4 since it was released about a month ago and I did not use the Beta version.

At this point I've also tried manually updating with the Beta version that I downloaded but that doesn't fix the MVPI2 interface either. So essentially I am stuck at the point where I don't know what is wrong with it because HP Tuners Support refuses to tell me anything other than "buy a new one." Their update, which they need to fix how it updates in their program so it doesn't just do it without user approval first, bricks my interface and I get no support on how to fix it. Not exactly great customer service, especially for a product that I paid around $300 for less than 4 years ago ends up being useless because of an update they forced to apply without my permission.

At this point I'll be doing my own disassembly of it and try to figure out what happened with or without their help. But I will be taking a look at other data logging and tuning options for OBD2 vehicles at this point since the only answer I'm getting is "spend $400 for this new interface, maybe we won't brick this one next time it wants to update without your permission."

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I took a look at your ticket and it looks like this device was sold in Jan 2020 so its essentially a 3 year old device, unfortunately sometimes electrical components can fail out of nowhere. All of our devices do carry a 1 year warranty from purchase and we stand behind our product which has a very low failure rate. I'm sorry you are having an issue but I can confirm what our tech said as the device has failed internally and the only option is replacement in this case.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Additionally the device didn't fail due to a firmware update, I can see your device WAS working fine with the newest 5.1.24 firmware on 11/23 in the debug.dat file, it didn't start having issues until the 12/9 entries.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    I took a look at your ticket and it looks like this device was sold in Jan 2020 so its essentially a 3 year old device, unfortunately sometimes electrical components can fail out of nowhere. All of our devices do carry a 1 year warranty from purchase and we stand behind our product which has a very low failure rate. I'm sorry you are having an issue but I can confirm what our tech said as the device has failed internally and the only option is replacement in this case.
    So what is the reason for the failure? Everything was working fine up until this update attempted to install on 12/9. Just saying "its a hardware failure, nothing we can do, buy a new $400 device" isn't a good enough answer for me. I have been doing tuning on vehicles since the late 90s and I have interfaces for other tuning and data logging systems that are over 15 years old and still work just fine. Of course, none of these force an update without first asking me if I want to do the update, so there is that. Your product may have a low failure rate but if you refuse to tell me what has failed on this device and why I don't really consider this standing by your product. I find it very difficult to believe that it failed just as whatever update was attempting to be applied to my interface on 12/9. Less than 3 years old means I spent around $100 a year to use this. Does this mean that purchasing a new MPVI3 will result in a failure 4 years down to road so I have to "buy another one, it failed again?"

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDM View Post
    So what is the reason for the failure? Everything was working fine up until this update attempted to install on 12/9. Just saying "its a hardware failure, nothing we can do, buy a new $400 device" isn't a good enough answer for me. I have been doing tuning on vehicles since the late 90s and I have interfaces for other tuning and data logging systems that are over 15 years old and still work just fine. Of course, none of these force an update without first asking me if I want to do the update, so there is that. Your product may have a low failure rate but if you refuse to tell me what has failed on this device and why I don't really consider this standing by your product. I find it very difficult to believe that it failed just as whatever update was attempting to be applied to my interface on 12/9. Less than 3 years old means I spent around $100 a year to use this. Does this mean that purchasing a new MPVI3 will result in a failure 4 years down to road so I have to "buy another one, it failed again?"
    Sometimes electronics just fail, I've had laptops fail, car stereos fail, playstations fail, $1000 phones fail, etc. No rhyme or reason. 3 years out of an electronic item is pretty average.