Thread: first tune

Potential Tuner

first tune

hello everyone this is my first tune ever, so if you all could be brutally honest on what i could do for my personal truck, truck has 100 over injectors and a s367 turbo aftermarket intake, stock cp3, stock lift pump

2005 ram 2500 lil spicy.hpt

You haven't really done anything?? All I can see is you made the pedal feel more aggressive, you haven't increased fueling at all. Looks like you add a touch of timing? Or my compare file is just different. (you should always post your stock file as well so people can see what you have changed)

Here is a pretty healthy tune, Close to the max a stock fuel system will do. Shouldn't hurt anything but watch the temps on long runs.
    2005 ram 2500_Try_This.hpt

personally, in the "try this" file, I would run some more limiters on with those injectors/turbo and the base dc is stock so I doubt the thing will hold rail, SOI max i'd go higher, pulse limiter off, i don't think waste gate set to 100% min with that s367 is doing much. i either, i would use the lower end of fuel psi or timing maps either but my teacher was pretty goood to me
    2010 F-350 03 5.9/848ecm, built 5R110, 30% over sticks, 10mm pump, 64mm Stealth Turbo
    2008 F-350 03 5.9
    Fumminstuning.com

Potential Tuner
    Thank you for the replies, also what is ?dc? and what should I set the turbo min limit to? And I didn?t mess with pilot injection because I didn?t have advanced parameters set on VCM editor.

base dc in fuel pressure, you'll need a log to tell how far the pump falls off, when that happens the pulse will go up = smoky as shit
    2010 F-350 03 5.9/848ecm, built 5R110, 30% over sticks, 10mm pump, 64mm Stealth Turbo
    2008 F-350 03 5.9
    Fumminstuning.com

Quote Originally Posted by bcdiesel View Post
    Thank you for the replies, also what is ?dc? and what should I set the turbo min limit to? And I didn?t mess with pilot injection because I didn?t have advanced parameters set on VCM editor.
    DC Duty Cycle. He talking about how the cp3 meters fuel into the pump. Yes data logging the commanded vs actual is the proper way to set up the map however it reacts extremely fast. On stock injectors I haven't had an issue.

Turbo min/max duty cycle has to do with the wastegate control, which doesn't apply to you. If it was a stock turbo setting the min to 100% will disable the wastegate for max boost.

Potential Tuner
    wot cummins.hpl here is a wide open throttle log

Potential Tuner
    keep in mind im new to this and didnt know what to log so i have some missing and some that are pointless

your log messed up there and dropped the data off
    2008 F-350 03 5.9
    Fumminstuning.com

Also if you haven't already go to the OS tab and apply the patch. Then save the file and reflash your truck.

Tuner in Training
    Dont mean to highjack but ...... BigCE sorry I have been away from the diesel tunning for a while (been tunning my harley) what is the OS patch? will this help with the ABS and Fuel pump cycling and almost bricking my ECM .... happened last time I flashed; Jim P helped me out with that.... BIG Thank You to Jim P again!!! I have been leary to flash since then. I am just getting back into it to get some more MPG

OS patch allows for better data logging. More channels and faster.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCE View Post
    OS patch allows for better data logging. More channels and faster.
    Gotcha! Thank you!

Potential Tuner
    Sorry, been busy that last couple days monitored desired and actual dc they were pretty close with that tune I also added some timing and mm3 in the 1,200-1,800 rpm?s range, I?m really happy with the tune. My egts are only 1278 at wot in tcl. Not as Smokey as I thought it would be but extremely happy with the tune. But has anyone ram into a issue I know my turbo will spool more than 37 psi (manual gauge confirms 37psi) I don?t know if the map sensor can cause defueling because the engine thinks it?s at maximum boost and the high idle feature keeps resetting to disabled

Potential Tuner
    2005 ram 2500 hot one 2.0.hpt here is the tune ive been touching up on i am actually pretty happy with it and it remember im not on stock injectors and turbo so i cant guarantee for the stock guys how smokey it is, also im super new to this so please any advice, pointers, tips and tricks im all ears
    also need to learn how to rescale the map sensor so it can read 10 bar2005 ram 2500 hot one 2.0.hpt
    Attached Files Attached Files

Banned
    There?s a thread on here for rescaling the MAP sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by bcdiesel View Post
    2005 ram 2500 hot one 2.0.hpt here is the tune ive been touching up on i am actually pretty happy with it and it remember im not on stock injectors and turbo so i cant guarantee for the stock guys how smokey it is, also im super new to this so please any advice, pointers, tips and tricks im all ears
    also need to learn how to rescale the map sensor so it can read 10 bar2005 ram 2500 hot one 2.0.hpt
    turn off the pulse width limiter and max output limits, i'd also add some rail psi to that and then you'll see desired and actual start to separate. channels are needed to log and a log longer than 5 mins just makes people not look at them FYI.
    my rule of thumb is name the tune something like vin####_V1 and so on, then name the log the same tune name and in the future, you can find these to compare.
    2008 F-350 03 5.9
    Fumminstuning.com

You need to select what channels to log before you record. Your log is basically empty its useless.

I would start playing more with the scanner and learning how that works before you proceed further with tuning. Monitor fuel press actual and desired, total mm3, rpm, throttle position, torque source or limit, main injection timing, manifold pressure, fuel control actuator actual and desired, boost limit, all speed gov limit, any parameter that shows "limit" I'm sure I am forgetting some but that should give you an idea.

Advanced Tuner
    Anyone know why I can not open files that are posted here in editor?

Quote Originally Posted by LilSick View Post
    Anyone know why I can not open files that are posted here in editor?
    What error does it give? Sometimes if a file was created with a newer version of vcm editior it wont let you open. Also sometime you need to connect your mpvi cable and it will need to connect to the internet to download "definitions".