Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 F150 Not Making Much Boost at WOT and BOV Acting Crazy Part Throttle

Tuner in Training

12 F150 Not Making Much Boost at WOT and BOV Acting Crazy Part Throttle

I've been chasing my tail with this truck for a couple weeks and can't seem to resolve what is causing the BOV to rapidly open and close anywhere from 3-8 times before actually staying closed. I've looked for anything in the log to see if there was a limit that I was hitting or a source that was changing and have been coming up empty handed. I also am having trouble getting it to hold boost at WOT. Sometimes it will hold at 13psi and other times it will pull all the way down to 7-8psi. The current tune and a couple logs will be posted below. The truck has a brand new engine, 58mm turbos, and a larger intercooler. Running 93 octane for fuel and everything else on the vehicle is stock.

tune 10.hpt

22-12-14 17-14-51.hpl

22-12-14 16-03-05.hpl

22-12-14 08-09-25.hpl

Advanced Tuner
    tune 10 try.hpt
    f150.Channels.xml
    Try logging these channels. It looks like your truck doesn't know how to deal with it's part throttle boost. These turbo's must be very responsive. I would start here. Using these channels if they log cleanly and retest
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by reubone View Post
    tune 10 try.hpt
    f150.Channels.xml
    Try logging these channels. It looks like your truck doesn't know how to deal with it's part throttle boost. These turbo's must be very responsive. I would start here. Using these channels if they log cleanly and retest
    The BOV is still pulsating but definitely no where near as bad, I'm wondering if maybe the BOV may have just been bad out of the box? Here are two logs using that tune. One driving through the neighborhood and the other has a WOT pull in it. I can see some of the changes you had made, was it something I was overlooking with the pedal to throttle relationship or the driver demand tables that were causing it to act up? I kept raising limits to try to keep from hitting limiters but it seems like I overshot things based on your changes on a few of the tables

22-12-16 12-57-15.hpl

22-12-16 13-00-45.hpl

Advanced Tuner
    From what it looked like, your wastegate duty cycle and throttle angle were both fluctuating very quickly to try and contain the part throttle boost surge. The changes I made were in an attempt to smooth things out even at the cost of over all boost pressure. This way in conjunction with the added channels we can see what is causing the issue. I believe your bov is just reacting to the throttle closures

Advanced Tuner
    What gate spring do you have installed?

Tuner in Training
    What gate spring do you have installed?
    To my understanding these turbos still utilize the factory spring, they are the garrett powermax stage 1 twin turbo upgrade 58mm turbos. I looked through the information on the website as well to see if the spring rate had changed but it doesn't have anything claiming that they changed. I haven't pulled the spring out to verify though. I guess I overshot some of the tables trying to keep the sources from hitting any limiters

Advanced Tuner
    The desired break tq capped on that log at 40ftlbs. I associated that cap with this setting. As you can see it has been bumped to 800ftlbs so use caution until you get a feel for what that is going to do. In tune 10 try is was set to 400ftlbs
    Screenshot (75).jpg

Advanced Tuner
    Add "wastegate control source" and "wastegate I-term source" to your logging channels, those will tell you if the BPV is being commanded to open, also will tell what's driving the wastegate.

Tuner in Training
    The desired break tq capped on that log at 40ftlbs. I associated that cap with this setting. As you can see it has been bumped to 800ftlbs so use caution until you get a feel for what that is going to do. In tune 10 try is was set to 400ftlbs
    Screenshot (75).jpg
    I gotcha, so thats where the combustion stability was coming back into the source from. I'll try the changes and see what that ends up achieving!

Tuner in Training
    I did a pull with this one and hit a cylinder pressure limit so I upped everything in the higher rows to around 10 degrees and made the pull you will see towards the end of the log here

22-12-16 16-26-07.hpl

This next log was specifically from the tune revision that you had sent

22-12-16 16-15-58.hpl

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Seishuku View Post
    Add "wastegate control source" and "wastegate I-term source" to your logging channels, those will tell you if the BPV is being commanded to open, also will tell what's driving the wastegate.
    Unfortunately neither one of those are options on this vehicle, I repolled just to make sure but I can't find either one of those

Advanced Tuner
    Excellent, ok so upping the comb stability max tq from 400 to 800 allowed requested tq to hit the driver demand table max around 550 or so. so thats progress. The changes you made saw an increase in reported engine break tq and a little steadier throttle blade action. so your on the right track now to getting smooth wot. Problem now is your having something drive down requested torque above 4700 rpm. takes a nose dive. can you add cat temp? Ill have to dig around some more to see If I can align the issue but it will be tomorrow.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallTownRacing View Post
    Unfortunately neither one of those are options on this vehicle, I repolled just to make sure but I can't find either one of those
    Huh, that's rather surprising.

Tuner in Training
    Excellent, ok so upping the comb stability max tq from 400 to 800 allowed requested tq to hit the driver demand table max around 550 or so. so thats progress. The changes you made saw an increase in reported engine break tq and a little steadier throttle blade action. so your on the right track now to getting smooth wot. Problem now is your having something drive down requested torque above 4700 rpm. takes a nose dive. can you add cat temp? Ill have to dig around some more to see If I can align the issue but it will be tomorrow.
    22-12-16 23-01-49.hpl

This should have 2 WOT pulls, one normal stabbing it and the second held in 3rd gear. This being off the last tune that I had made the changes to, not the tune 12 that you had sent. I will need to load that one in a log it tomorrow

Advanced Tuner
    Well I see that we have a code of some sort. Let's make sure that code isn't causing trouble. I also found this
    anydesk00001.png
    anydesk00002.png
    Don't know if they are related but It is worth a shot. Change that airflow limit to 212KPA or something similar when you try the tune 12.

Tuner in Training
    Well I see that we have a code of some sort. Let's make sure that code isn't causing trouble. I also found this
    anydesk00001.png
    anydesk00002.png
    Don't know if they are related but It is worth a shot. Change that airflow limit to 212KPA or something similar when you try the tune 12.
    If you are talking about current DTC's it has CEL on because of hollowed out catalytic converters. Made the changes to outlet pressure, about to go test now

Tuner in Training
    anydesk00001.png
    anydesk00002.png
    22-12-17 09-37-42.hpl

22-12-17 09-49-55.hpl

First one part throttle second one is 3 wot pulls

Advanced Tuner
    tune 13 try.hpt
    Ok so it looks like something has to be off with your tq modeling. I reset a lot here back to stock to see i we have any limiters pop up.
    Attached Files Attached Files