Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Axis Scaling - Will we get it?!?

Tuner in Training

Axis Scaling - Will we get it?!?

I recently downloaded the latest version of HPTUNERS, I was excited because I saw you'd added axis tuning to the package... something that I know the J-body alone needs quite badly....

Unfortunately I noticed it wasn't added for our package...

Is this a possibility? Or is it a limitation of the pcm?

If it's possible to add it I'd like to make a post expressing interest in this feature, because in all honesty we have some extreme needs for it.

For instance, if I raise the rev limiter to 8100 rpm, I can only deal with the cells up to 6800 rpm... this means I have a 1300 rpm "dead spot" where I can't do any fine tuning whatsoever....

Don't even get me started on trying to fake a 3 bar map in a 1 bar chart!!! If we could scale the axis that would make life a lot easier.

So with that said - Chris is it possible to add this feature for us, and if so is there any way you WOULD add it?

Thanks,

-Chris-
    Last edited by SweetnessGT; 01-31-2007 at 10:42 AM. Reason: (Edit post name and add info)

Tuner in Training
    Sorry I just noticed the darn "Feature Request" forum... if you want to move this post there where it's probably more appropriate that's great.

Thanks!

-Chris-

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    the answer lies in the pcm...I actually asked Chris about this in Beta .15, basically if it has an E38/E40/E67 pcm yes you should or will get it...but because some of the computers are hybrids in redlines & such they probably wont get it...its not really a function of the software...its the capabilities of the pcm itself...which is why not even LS1 guys can get it...the pcm just isnt capable.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    I was afraid of that... my PCM is a 98... only a few mere years into OBD II...

If there was just a way to get the darn charts to go to 8200 rpm I'd be more than happy... this is a fairly severe limitation.

I can fake a 3 bar but It's a lot more work than if I could just lay the proper chart out and do it like that.

-Chris-

Tuner
    So I guess the us old ass 4cyl guys wont' be getting much more will we?
    Pontiac Grandma 2.4L LD9 (GT30R - super special option)
    12.4@118mph, spinning and being sloppy, 432hp 424tq

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    You gotta request more to get more...is there something specific you think you need OTHER then custom operating systems? HPT trys to get you 100% functional upon initial release & just add parameters as needed...some vehicles need more then others to be fully functional, but they are ALWAYS making improvements to the functionality of the editor/scanner/help files which helps EVERYONE.

Tuner in Training
    Well I'm going to email Chris I think and request this, I know of many J-body owners who are trying to raise limiters and add boost using HPTUNERS....

This dead spot until the new redline just won't do, and if I can scale my spark tables so I can make sense of faking a 2 or 3 bar tune since it will never be available that would be a huge help.

But as you said if the PCM limits it then we are screwed... I will wait another day to see if Chris notices this post and if not I'll email him directly. If I cannot fix this issue I'm going to have to just go standalone as there are only so many bandaids one can do before they realize they're out of options.

-Chris-

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    again the axis scaling is pcm feature more then it is a limit of our software...so requesting something they cannot do wont do any good.

Tuner in Training
    I'd also be interested in this...... although my software is a bit newer, the ECM is the same

I just did a once over on the update, havnt noticed anything that changed for us yet..... although I may have missed it. It does look nice for the newer systems though.
    Brian
    SpdRcrZ
    SloGoat
    '02 Turbo LD9 Z24 [email protected] 420whp@15psi
    '96 Turbo W41 Z24 13.22 @ 108.94 11psi
    '04 LS1 GTO 13.7

Tuner in Training
    I think we got one more chart in the spark tables... when I glanced I didn't notice it but apparently it's there.

Foff667 - I haven't recieved any confirmation from anybody yet that it is in fact a restriction of the PCM or not. If it is I can accept that. If not... well...

-Chris-

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Why do you think LS1's, one of their biggest if not thee biggest market, did not get it? lol its a feature of the pcm that hpt is allowing those who have that pcm to take advantage of, nothing more. FWIW late model 2.4 cobalts, ion, solstice & sky received it so you can see they are giving it to those capable of receiving it. As far as confirmation if you'd like I can send you the email from chris that confirmed it

As far as what has changed there have been various features of both the editor & scanner that have changed for the better that EVERYONE can take advantage of.
    Last edited by Bill@HPTuners; 02-01-2007 at 02:48 PM.

Tuner in Training
    So it's a limitation of the PCM then? I can understand that.

Your rolley eyes were duly noted.

So it appears HPT then cannot meet even the simplest needs of raising the rev limiter and then tuning in that area... that is also understood. That's actually quite disappointing it's one of the reasons I purchased the software.

Thanks for the insight.

-Chris-
    Last edited by SweetnessGT; 02-01-2007 at 05:09 PM.

Tuner
    so no custom 3bar?
    Pontiac Grandma 2.4L LD9 (GT30R - super special option)
    12.4@118mph, spinning and being sloppy, 432hp 424tq

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetnessGT
    So it appears HPT then cannot meet even the simplest needs of raising the rev limiter and then tuning in that area... that is also understood. That's actually quite disappointing it's one of the reasons I purchased the software.
    understand its not like hpt makes the pcm's..gm does,they just give you the means to tune it via the stock hardware with a plug & play system rather then a standalone. You can't blame hpt for gm thinking you'd be pushing 15+psi & spinning to 7000+ rpms in speed density mode.

Tuner
    if you are doing a 3 bar engine you really should think about a stand alone, I know it's not streetable but neither is a car running 30 PSI
    2005 LS6 CTS-V
    2010 LP9 SRX AWD 2.8T
    SOLD: 2006 Cadillac SRX AWD V6 A5
    SOLD: 2005 Cobalt SS/SC Arrival Blue

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by zinner
    if you are doing a 3 bar engine you really should think about a stand alone, I know it's not streetable but neither is a car running 30 PSI

any why wouldnt a car running high boost not be "streetable" ?
    2000 Chevy Cavalier (being completed)
    1987 Dodge D150 Turbocharged Slantsix EFI!

besides gas prices? and the po?
    2006 SS Cobalt SC
    Stage 2 ZZP Cams
    Headers, 3.0" Full ZZP Exhaust
    60lb inj. Intake.
    2.8 Pulley
    72# Lb. Supertech Springs
    LNF Ext Valves and lashers
    Cobre H/E, option B.
    Torque Damper
    HPTuned.
    Bitchin'

Tuner in Training
    I fail to see how a 3 bar setup isn't streetable... or even how that's a factor anyway. I COULD be using HPT to help me with a track car for all you know.

I can fully appreciate that you gentleman here at HPT are limited by GM's functionality in the PCM, which is why I backed down on my petition for axis scaling... what I don't understand is this:

If you guys can give me the option to raise my rev limiter to 8192 rpm's... why can you not give me the cells from 6800 - 8192 rpms? Clearly the PCM can "handle" that rpm... no?

Lets start off by me admitting I know NOTHING about PCM's or anything like that - I'm a regular joe here. I'm simply going off logic in my head and logic states that if the pcm can churn my built motor to 8200 rpm why can I not control the motor to 8200 rpm? Why do I not have that option?

This post really isn't as much about axis scaling as it is about filling that deep gap between 6800 rpm - the 8200 rpm max. I have been concerned since day one when I saw the charts stopped at 6800 rpm...

If this is a limitation of the PCM I will state clearly I can accept this and accept that I wasted my money on HPT then (my bad)... but if it's something you guys can deal with it I know absoloutely every J-body owner I know who has HPT has expressed this SAME concern. I do not like using my last cell to cover 1400 rpm of data...

With that said, I hope you guys can help us. If not then I'm stuck tossing this thing in the parts bin and starting from scratch.

-Chris-

theres a difference between changing variables, encode and make it functioning and a custom os with more parameters squeezed into it. dont blame hp tuning if you were smart enough thered be an answer. hptuning is a vcm editor not vcm creator. quote me.

imagine the problems if you could make it do anything you want half of us woudl blow an engine the first week.
    Last edited by redhotjamedjimi; 02-02-2007 at 12:11 AM.
    2006 SS Cobalt SC
    Stage 2 ZZP Cams
    Headers, 3.0" Full ZZP Exhaust
    60lb inj. Intake.
    2.8 Pulley
    72# Lb. Supertech Springs
    LNF Ext Valves and lashers
    Cobre H/E, option B.
    Torque Damper
    HPTuned.
    Bitchin'

Quote Originally Posted by SweetnessGT
    I fail to see how a 3 bar setup isn't streetable... or even how that's a factor anyway. I COULD be using HPT to help me with a track car for all you know.

I can fully appreciate that you gentleman here at HPT are limited by GM's functionality in the PCM, which is why I backed down on my petition for axis scaling... what I don't understand is this:

If you guys can give me the option to raise my rev limiter to 8192 rpm's... why can you not give me the cells from 6800 - 8192 rpms? Clearly the PCM can "handle" that rpm... no?

Lets start off by me admitting I know NOTHING about PCM's or anything like that - I'm a regular joe here. I'm simply going off logic in my head and logic states that if the pcm can churn my built motor to 8200 rpm why can I not control the motor to 8200 rpm? Why do I not have that option?

This post really isn't as much about axis scaling as it is about filling that deep gap between 6800 rpm - the 8200 rpm max. I have been concerned since day one when I saw the charts stopped at 6800 rpm...

If this is a limitation of the PCM I will state clearly I can accept this and accept that I wasted my money on HPT then (my bad)... but if it's something you guys can deal with it I know absoloutely every J-body owner I know who has HPT has expressed this SAME concern. I do not like using my last cell to cover 1400 rpm of data...

With that said, I hope you guys can help us. If not then I'm stuck tossing this thing in the parts bin and starting from scratch.

-Chris-
    In most cases the table axis values are hardcoded into the PCM's operating system software, they are fixed and cannot be changed without modifying the operating system code itself. Some later PCMs running newer operating system software have the axis values defined as part of the calibration, in which case it is just a matter of giving you access to these tables that already exist (which is what we have done).

Changing the PCM operating system software to modify hardcoded axis values is not a trivial task.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...