Thread: Gear position indicator

Tuner in Training

Gear position indicator

I recently bought a 79 C10 with a ls1 and 4l60 trans. from. 2001 corvette.

When I connect to HP tuners I can see the gear position indicated.

Does anyone have a suggestion of how I can see my gear position when I?m driving down the road?

The best solution so far is: have older vhx dakota digital gauges; I can buy the bim add on but I don?t like the idea of using my obd port for the bim.

I am looking for a obd Bluetooth app that shows gear position but haven?t had any luck. I use obd fusion app which provides the best consistent connection but doesn?t show gear position. RealDash is not connecting for me.

Thanks.

Tuner
    OBDlink Mx+ has that PID. It comes in Bluetooth or WiFi. Has its own proprietary app.

Tuner
    A 79 C10 used a PRNDL cable attached to the shift column for the indicator that was part of the speedometer cluster. A 2001 GM truck used a MLPS (multi lever position switch) or Neutral safety switch mounted at the transmission that illuminated the cluster. F-bodies used a switch at the column, I cant say about Corvettes.
    Building Automatic Transmissions since 1978
    "Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply."--Ernest Hemingway.

Black 2000 S10 Base 2.2L Flex Current LS10 swap project
    Red 2000 Blazer LT 4x4 3.73 SOLD
    Red 1998 S10 SS 4.3L Deceased 10/31/2014

Tuner in Training
    I guess the thing I’m wondering is if the vm scanner displays gear position how come I can’t wire something from the pcm that shows gear position in a gear or a set of lights?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by fastd View Post
    I guess the thing I?m wondering is if the vm scanner displays gear position how come I can?t wire something from the pcm that shows gear position in a gear or a set of lights?
    I'm sure you could. I don't know how you would go about it. Small LED's could be placed in a project box and lit up similarly to a a GM truck displaying the P R N D 3 2 1 in the cluster. A simplified version of course. I built a 4L60E shift box from scratch and it lights up an LED when the particular shift or TCC solenoid is on.

Are you using a neutral switch at all?
    What are you using for a dashboard?
    What steering column are you using?

i could supply a wiring diagram for the 96-03 or 2004 & up neutral switch. I might even be able to find one for your specific column...
    "Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply."--Ernest Hemingway.

Tuner
    Sweet!!! Maybe the OP will see this. I sure as heck didn't know these were there.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for this. I didn?t know that the idiot acrylic was available. Cheapest, easiest solution. I ?installed? / glued it and it works great.

Tuner in Training
    Ididit (not “idiot”)

Tuner in Training
    If you use the ididit acrylic, make sure you tilt the steering wheel up as high as it can go for clearance in the up position