Thread: Datalogging/scanner freeze on engine start up

Potential Tuner

Datalogging/scanner freeze on engine start up

Using vcm scanner mvpi3 and newest software; I can connect to vehicle with the ignition on and begin logging; then when i fire the engine up logging quits and i have to disconnect and reconnect to vehicle in order to log. I can also fire the engine up; connect to vehicle; and begin logging there. Is this proper?

Potential Tuner
    See my post a little while back. Took me a minute to understand why there is not a fail safe in the logging. Any change in the vehicle state will corrupt the log files.

Ex:If the car is shut off before you stop the logging that session is FUBAR. Assuming the same goes for starting the car while logging (not sure why anyone would start logging before the vehicle starts though)

Yeah, why would you ever need to capture something like a startup flare, or a crank-no-start? (edit for clarification: yes, that's something that needs doing regularly, and it's not supposed to shut off or glitch out)

It's really hard to answer the OP's question with nothing more to go on than that it is 'a vehicle'. The DLC (and MPVI) should stay powered up during CRANK as well as RUN, with no interruptions during state changes. If this undescribed 'vehicle' is a swap, using an ignition switch arrangement other than what the ECM/ECU/PCM used originally, that's a common problem. Easily fixed with some diagnosis and rewiring. If it's not a swap, is that just the way that particular ignition switch works? Maybe. Who knows.

Potential Tuner
    yeah I hear you. It felt easier to begin logging and then fire up and pay attention to whats happening. its not a swap, c6z06 hci. Im trying to do as much reading and searching as I can. Only asking questions when I am truly stuck. But I understand, even if this is the way it is, I just fire up then begin logging. Today through some logging it stayed logging through me stalling on a hill a few times.

2005 E40 'c6z06' or 2006-up E38 'c6z06'?

Weak battery that drops out while cranking? It's not supposed to shut off the DLC/scanner. Something is wrong with the car, not how the software or interface is designed.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    2005 E40 'c6z06' or 2006-up E38 'c6z06'?

Weak battery that drops out while cranking? It's not supposed to shut off the DLC/scanner. Something is wrong with the car, not how the software or interface is designed.
    you're likely right. I bought a new battery after this issue. It may potentially be resolved.