Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: surging idle

If that doesn't work and you want to take a bigger swing at it, I changed quite a few things on your tune like the idle spark advance and the idle adaptive spark control. I also upped your idle rpm incase it's to low. Hope one of them works out for you.

1 1 23 08 silverado 4l80e no tq 35s 3 big adjustments.hpt

fuel trims way lean, idle was same "surge" pattern but faster. timing was still 38-0 bouncing.
    Attachment 127154
    Attachment 127155

did you happen to try the tune I redid for you.

didnt yet, just saw you did that after i got to work, will flash and try at lunch , have to go pull a truck a few miles after work so will know pretty quickly if its better or not. again appreciate your time!

log with mopowerjoes tune...hate idle but runs damn good. laptop dying will upload after work with idle video

That idle is exactly how my SS2 sounded. Now does it idle in gear ok?

Now I noticed your idle min setpoint vss 12104 is set at 800rpm, you might want to try lowering that to 725rpm or so to let it try an idle there. And the only thing you can really do about the idle is play around with the idle adaptive spark control overspeed and underspeed. If it doesn't idle to well in gear you can try to lower the overspeed 12647 and underspeed 12649 by about 25% and see if that helps. And do the same thing with the coast over and under as well.

idles in gear ok, just pulled a half stripped 1/2 ton on my car hauler. didnt go too far, maybe 12 miles, when backing it up where i wanted to unload it most def too lean, didnt have my wideband plugged in or scanner going ( prolly should have) but i know a lean stutter for sure.
    Attachment 127167

that tune i used when logging, also like i said gets a tad lean at idle ( utube video, long terms very lean and idle just a tad according to wideband)
    Attachment 127169
    Last edited by ehall8702; 01-03-2023 at 07:22 PM. Reason: wrong tune file attatched at first

What cell hits required are you using on the LTFT Map in vcm scanner?

Quote Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
    What cell hits required are you using on the LTFT Map in vcm scanner?
    zero idea, using whatever is loaded by default on scanner. havent figured out how to manipulate the scanner too much. is this what you are refering too?
    Attachment 127172

No, under graph, LT fuel trim, right click on it and go to graphs layout, and then click on LT Fuel Trim again in the box that pops up and it should look like this
    2023-01-03.png

There is also a resetting of the LTFT's that you have to do each time you do a new log. When you go to vehicle at the top left of the scanner, go controls and special functions, and somewhere in there, there is a place to reset the LTFT's and you have to be hooked up to your ecm to reset this
    2023-01-03 (1).png

After you do this it will take quite a while of driving to get data on the LTFT at 4 cell hits required but this is the way I only know to do it correctly. Because if it sees a lean or rich condition it won't log it until it sees it 4 times.

When you had your lean stumble backing your trailer up which tune did you have in it?

Tune file 4 up from this reply was loaded, wasnt aware I needed to reset lift, but will and I will make appropriate changes to the scanner for next log. I'm well versed with the snap on zues at work but its only reading stock tunes, I'm still figuring out this one. I appreciate the help here, been a mechanic for over 20 years and this part of things r still new to me.

https://youtube.com/shorts/RfoAtASUiCw?feature=share

This was my idle with the lq4 same top end. This is more of the idle I'm after. I'm going to go back and find the tune for this and compare the over and under and idle setpoints. Id like a tighter idle for sure

Tuning Addict
    You know you're making timing corrections worse by doing the things your doing right?

If you're after a more natural cam lope without idle corrections playing into it then you need to loosen the idle up - not so much tighten it up... Your proportional and integral changes will make throttle and timing corrections more aggressive, not to mention the timing changes.

In this one all I did was loosened up the spark control whilst also putting in a max timing at idle hold. I didn't mess with your proportional or integral settings. If you wind up with "actual" surging then work on your min air and idle settings. I also made some minor O2 changes to keep fuel from swinging as bad. If nothing else and you don't like it, you can see what was adjusted from yours.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

i had that backwards then. i assumed the smaller the number on the over/under the less it would let the timing fluctuate. so i assumed -10/10 would be tighter idle vs say -22/22. guess i had that incorrect. rite now if i let it idle too long it gets lean, as soon as i put in gear it goes back to almost perfect, throttle richens up to 13s on WB.
    https://youtube.com/shorts/hB5JvcI6nts?feature=share

i know how to use the special functions, i just didnt kow i had to reset every time i logged. thanks. as far as changing the cell hits my scanner isnt the same as your pic..Attachment 127193
    Attachment 127194

is it count or factor on mine you are meaning for me to change?

Tuning Addict
    Try the O2 setting changes I put in the last one and then subtract 20 from your injection timing ect table. You won't be able to fully fix the lean issue at idle - fluctuating afr is kinda normal with cams.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Quote Originally Posted by ehall8702 View Post
    i know how to use the special functions, i just didnt kow i had to reset every time i logged. thanks. as far as changing the cell hits my scanner isnt the same as your pic..Attachment 127193
    Attachment 127194

is it count or factor on mine you are meaning for me to change?
    I'm guessing that you have a different version of the scanner and I think that in yours it's your count. Someone else with a newer version will have to confirm.

tried tune u .messed with, changed the vss idle to 675. thats the idle ive been after, very little of the rolling idle. cold asf out so didnt let truck run alot to get over rich after a flash, but sill very shitty fuel trim long term, i cleared it but again didnt let ruun real long as truck was still warm from earlier today. as far as injectors, i have no clue where that table is, ive been looking but no luck yet, will keep looking tho. quick log
    Attachment 127198