Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Interesting L33 issue

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    1700 RPM @ 65 MPH in 4th with that gear/tire. That's kinda low, lots of load there with not enough fluid flow.
    agreed.. i really want to get 3.73s or even 4.10s in it for that reason. i had a pair of 3.73 diffs on the hook but the deal fell through. i did some reading and i seen that people were shutting TCC off in everything but 4th gear. any gains to that? next question would be, tow/haul is "performance" mode in the trans right? would it be possible to go into that table and shut off TCC for 3rd gear and scoot the table out to make the converter lock up later? obviously im sure that would effect heat in the trans to an extent but would there be horrible consequences? im always watching gauges and monitoring temps and wouldnt hesitate to pull over at the first sign of trouble..

Thing about the LS is, the torque peak is really high even with the stock cam. Like 4400 RPM for a 5.3L. Adding more duration takes away torque before the peak in exchange for more above the peak (though the cam profile cannot really change where the peak occurs, that's displacement versus intake port stuff).

If you decide to keep the cam, I would think you'd need to gear it to be around 2400-2500 in 4th, or, only use D3 when pulling anything. When the TCC applies won't have much effect. 3.73's won't get it done (edit: if you want to tow in 4th).

Sleeper-I'm very happy to hear that you are committed to getting it running right, and that you are not about just beating the truck to death. And no, I did not take your reply to be hostile-though you could easily have taken mine that way.

The fact you state the first tuner had you beating on the truck during the first few miles of it's life should have been your first clue that he had no idea what he was doing.. Any "good" tuner would have you holding the RPM's as steady as possible, at slowly increasing rate, so that accurate data could be collected. You want to avoid sharp, fast, transitions in rpm increase as best as possible. Also, unless he was using a wide band O2 sensor... he was essentially limiting your tuning to 4000 RPM or less... though some guys can tune higher than that with factory narrow bands... people like me cannot. Without a wide band, revving the motor up above 4K was essentially just wasting your time, his time, your money, and setting you up for a crappy tune.

Right now.. without making any other changes.. you can try the tune posted above from kevin87turbo. You can see that he has smoothed the VE table considerably in an attempt to get rid of your low rpm lean condition. With his tune, go back in and DISABLE the MAF sensor so that you are running OPEN LOOP off the VE TABLE and do some nice and slow driving while logging keeping your RPM's under 2000. Once you get the VE table completely smoothed out from idle up to 2000, then you can start trying to tune from 2000 up to 3000 rpm. You can do this by pulling the shifter all the way down into L1 and then SSSSLLLLOOOOWWWWWLLLLLYYY accelerating from a dead stop, all the way up to 3000 RPM.. then make your changes to the VE table and go from there... It is absolutely essential that you get the VE table as close to perfect (+/- 3%) as possible as that is the table that all other fueling calculations are done from. if you want, just turn off the MAF, and do a log of a short drive keeping the RPM's under2000. Post that log and then we can make corrections from there to get you dialed in.

Learning to tune takes a LOT of hours, a lot of TIME, and a lot of trial and error. I would say it's going to be at least 100 hours of reading and studying to even get a basic understanding of what you are doing. With guidance though, we can keep you out of danger, and get you where you need to be. For now.. focus only on VE Table tuning, and KEEPING the engine RPM's down until you get fueling dialed in. From your short log I can see you have idle timing set to 23 degrees, but the computer is pulling timing.. that is *usually* an indication that your BRAF is off (high), or your fueling is off in the idle areas of the VE table (which we can kind of see using a LTFT/STFT average graph on the same scan).. the timing jumping all over the place at idle at the beginning of the log is also telling you the fueling is off. When fueling is spot on, the timing will be relatively flat with little bouncing or fluctuation at idle.

Once you turn off the MAF, then we will know for sure which direction you need to go. Right now with blended MAF and VE... it's very difficult to recommend changes. Do you have a wide band O2? Or are you relying on the factory narrow bands? Either way, we can get you up and running, and idling, and have good throttle response. So, for now... turn off your MAF sensor, set the tune for OPEN LOOP, and give us a log of you driving it while keeping the RPM as steady as possible, and keeping the RPM's under 2000 RPM... it will be easy to get a baseline tune going from there.

If you are not sure how to set up the tune for OPEN LOOP, MAF DISABLED... just post back and I will be happy to post up your current tune with those changes made.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by HATEHPTUNERS View Post
    Sleeper-I'm very happy to hear that you are committed to getting it running right, and that you are not about just beating the truck to death. And no, I did not take your reply to be hostile-though you could easily have taken mine that way.

The fact you state the first tuner had you beating on the truck during the first few miles of it's life should have been your first clue that he had no idea what he was doing.. Any "good" tuner would have you holding the RPM's as steady as possible, at slowly increasing rate, so that accurate data could be collected. You want to avoid sharp, fast, transitions in rpm increase as best as possible. Also, unless he was using a wide band O2 sensor... he was essentially limiting your tuning to 4000 RPM or less... though some guys can tune higher than that with factory narrow bands... people like me cannot. Without a wide band, revving the motor up above 4K was essentially just wasting your time, his time, your money, and setting you up for a crappy tune.

Right now.. without making any other changes.. you can try the tune posted above from kevin87turbo. You can see that he has smoothed the VE table considerably in an attempt to get rid of your low rpm lean condition. With his tune, go back in and DISABLE the MAF sensor so that you are running OPEN LOOP off the VE TABLE and do some nice and slow driving while logging keeping your RPM's under 2000. Once you get the VE table completely smoothed out from idle up to 2000, then you can start trying to tune from 2000 up to 3000 rpm. You can do this by pulling the shifter all the way down into L1 and then SSSSLLLLOOOOWWWWWLLLLLYYY accelerating from a dead stop, all the way up to 3000 RPM.. then make your changes to the VE table and go from there... It is absolutely essential that you get the VE table as close to perfect (+/- 3%) as possible as that is the table that all other fueling calculations are done from. if you want, just turn off the MAF, and do a log of a short drive keeping the RPM's under2000. Post that log and then we can make corrections from there to get you dialed in.

Learning to tune takes a LOT of hours, a lot of TIME, and a lot of trial and error. I would say it's going to be at least 100 hours of reading and studying to even get a basic understanding of what you are doing. With guidance though, we can keep you out of danger, and get you where you need to be. For now.. focus only on VE Table tuning, and KEEPING the engine RPM's down until you get fueling dialed in. From your short log I can see you have idle timing set to 23 degrees, but the computer is pulling timing.. that is *usually* an indication that your BRAF is off (high), or your fueling is off in the idle areas of the VE table (which we can kind of see using a LTFT/STFT average graph on the same scan).. the timing jumping all over the place at idle at the beginning of the log is also telling you the fueling is off. When fueling is spot on, the timing will be relatively flat with little bouncing or fluctuation at idle.

Once you turn off the MAF, then we will know for sure which direction you need to go. Right now with blended MAF and VE... it's very difficult to recommend changes. Do you have a wide band O2? Or are you relying on the factory narrow bands? Either way, we can get you up and running, and idling, and have good throttle response. So, for now... turn off your MAF sensor, set the tune for OPEN LOOP, and give us a log of you driving it while keeping the RPM as steady as possible, and keeping the RPM's under 2000 RPM... it will be easy to get a baseline tune going from there.

If you are not sure how to set up the tune for OPEN LOOP, MAF DISABLED... just post back and I will be happy to post up your current tune with those changes made.
    thanks for the input brother, i do appreciate everything you guys are doing.. and yeah as far as the first tuner beating the crap out of my truck, he was driving and i was holding his laptop in the passenger seat. had i known then what i know now, i never would have reached out to him in the first place.. after we got back to my house (and i flipped the turd out of my drawls) i flat told him that he just drove my truck harder than i ever will.. he just kinda chuckled.. but lets face it, i was so new to this that i didnt even know you had to tune any cam outside of the stock stick that came out of it.. so yeah, thats my error.. in the meantime, i have kevin87turbo's tune revision downloaded to my laptop and once it gets a little later and traffic dies down, i will throw it in and take the truck for an under 2k spin and log it for you guys.. and im sorry if i seem hard to work with guys but i have serious A.D.D and that makes everything hard for me. especially learning something brand new.. i usually have to watch a 5 minute video 4-5 times in order to gain the 10 seconds worth of knowledge i set out for.. so widebands... i have watched a fair amount of goat ropes videos and yes he pounds the drum on widebands. which makes perfect sense considering the switching on and off vs a smooth transition makes tuning that much finer. i however do not have that luxury yet but i am pursuing it.. but all the setups im finding are $500+ and thats a pretty tough pill to swallow in these trying times. but i will somehow make it happen. so now that i see there is some interest in whats going on with the truck, i will note everything that i have done as well as everything that was done when i got it..

"ME"

eagle forged rods
    stock flat tops
    hastings rings ( stock gapped )
    BTR stage 2 cam kit:
    .553 intake lift
    .553 exhaust lift
    .325 lobes I-E
    111 center
    111 lobe
    P.N BTR31218110
    LS7 springs, lifters
    +10 pushrods
    1-2 duals at stock muffler
    cat delete
    BS cold air intake
    stainless shorty headers
    ---------------------------
    the previous owner had 2013 dated castec 706 heads put on it when he had it rebuilt vs the 243s that i believe came stock for the L33.

nothing in the drive line has been altered that i know of.. in reference to the VE tables, what exactly are they and where do i find them? just to see what you guys are looking at.
    and as for the logging, im trying to figure out how to add channels and graphs but even thats a challenge for me sometimes.. i find it, change and then immediately forget how i did it... i know, i probably shouldnt even be doing this in the first place but im out of options.. sorry to be your basket case.. i know a lot of stuff but this digital era is all brand new to me..

Tuner in Training
    sio i have looked up the method for disabling the MAF and it seems like a bit of a journey with all the abbreviations and stuff.. from what i gathered, i go to

vcm scanner / DTCs and set both P0101 and P0103 to mil on first error and SES light you can either set to come on or stay off.. am i warm?
    then from there you go to engine diagnostics/ air flow/ MAF frequency fail high and set that to 0 correct? i just pulled this info from a forum and i hope its right. hate it when i need someone to hold my hand. i did see that its value has been touched already as well as just about everything around it. changing that wont hurt anything will it? thanks again for everything.. if this is right, ill edit the tune again and re-save it under a different alteration..

Tuner in Training
    I need 2 sensors right? 1 for each bank.

Advanced Tuner
    Yes you got it, I set p101 102 103 to be safe, mil on first error. I leave Ses light to come on so you know it has failed over.

Under engine diagnostics, airflow, mass airflow sensor, find MAF fail High and set it to 1 Hz

Then go to engine, airflow, dynamic, find High RPM Disable, set it to 8000 rpm

Also, yes it's both o2 sensors, so bank1 sensor 1 and bank 2 sensor 1 (narrowband upstream o2 sensors)
    Last edited by Matt_lq4; 12-28-2022 at 09:53 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Then when you want it in Maf-only mode to tune the maf, simply revert the High RPM Disable values from 8000 to 300 rpm, put the maf codes back to stock as well as the MAF fail high value.

Only one wideband. Pick a side, doesn't matter since you have only one VE/MAF table that isn't bank-separated.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_lq4 View Post
    Yes you got it, I set p101 102 103 to be safe, mil on first error. I leave Ses light to come on so you know it has failed over.

Under engine diagnostics, airflow, mass airflow sensor, find MAF fail High and set it to 1 Hz

Then go to engine, airflow, dynamic, find High RPM Disable, set it to 8000 rpm

Also, yes it's both o2 sensors, so bank1 sensor 1 and bank 2 sensor 1 (narrowband upstream o2 sensors)
    10-4! ill change all that over and get ready to toss the tune in... thanks again guys. i really appreciate the help on this. from the bottom of my heart..

Advanced Tuner
    You're welcome!

Just to confirm, if you are simply buying new o2 sensors to replace the existing upstream narrowbands, yes if that is what you are asking.

If you are asking about a wideband o2 sensor such as for full throttle tuning, you can pick any bank and only need 1 wideband as blindsquirrel mentioned.

And if you were thinking that you'd replace the factory O2s with two widebands, can't do that either. The stock PCM is built to read a non-linear narrowband signal which maxes out at like 1.2 volts, but the add-on wideband has a linear 0-5v signal. Not compatible.

In the past it was fairly common to find a 'simulated narrowband' output option in WB controllers, but that was a linear 0-1v, and the stock PCM really doesn't know what to do with a linear signal even if it's in the right voltage range it's capable, technically, of reading.

screenshot.28-12-2022 22.45.30.png

Tuner in Training
    So I just got the tune loaded into my truck, im letting it warm up now.. I added cylinder air mass as well as burst knock retard to my channels.. took me a minute but I figured out how.. turns out, you have to pause your log to add/remove channels lol.. ill post logs as soon as I do my runs. Ill do the under 2k rpm run as well as the L1 slow crawl to 3k rpms.. see y'all soon..

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_lq4 View Post
    You're welcome!

Just to confirm, if you are simply buying new o2 sensors to replace the existing upstream narrowbands, yes if that is what you are asking.

If you are asking about a wideband o2 sensor such as for full throttle tuning, you can pick any bank and only need 1 wideband as blindsquirrel mentioned.
    If a wide band is what I need to get this thing spot on, ill go that route.. and im glad y'all mentioned that I only need 1. Not a big fan of wasting money.. well not anymore lol.. truck is sitting at 170?F so its about time to do some science stuff.

Tuner in Training

2 logs as requested..

idle to 3k rpm logs ( MAF disabled ).hpl
    under 2k rpm log (MAF disabled).hpl

so a little footnote i would like to add... at about 45-50 mph or so and 1700(ish) on the tach, if i apply even the slightest bit of throttle to the truck to even gain a few mph, i hear a lot of chatter that sounds like detonation.. i noticed it after i saved the idle to 3k log and was driving back home.. i dont know if there would be a trace of it on the (under 2k) run or not. let me know if this helps fellas.. thanks again
    Last edited by Sleeperado; 12-29-2022 at 12:00 AM.

Add Knock Retard and Trans Current Gear. Logging burst knock is not really useful since that should be shut off altogether anyway.

What's the purpose of the 'MegaSquirt-2/3 CAN' things? Should probably remove those.

Tuner in Training
    Add Knock Retard and Trans Current Gear. Logging burst knock is not really useful since that should be shut off altogether anyway.

What's the purpose of the 'MegaSquirt-2/3 CAN' things? Should probably remove those.
    so the MegaSquirt-2/3 can, beats the hell out of me lol

as far as the burst knock retard, i believe it was mentioned above to add that channel.. if its something i need to disable, i will (with some guidance if i may request)

so i will add the knock retard and current gear channels and make another set of logs here shortly.. anything else you think i should add to it since i will be in there?

Tuner in Training

so i went up in the comments and seen it was you that mentioned the knock retard.. and yeah i misread it as burst knock.. sorry about that. ill change it

Senior Tuner
    The fuel trims look pretty good in that one. When you get a chance, load this revised tune and get another datalog. Definitely need Knock Retard in your next log.

06' raydo modded tune KW MOD 2.hpt