Thread: Transmission temperature settings for CVPI

Tuner in Training

Transmission temperature settings for CVPI

Hi guys
    The temperature in my country ranges between 40 and 50 degrees Celsius.
    Please I need to set the transmission temperature so that the cooling fan will work when the transmission fluid temperature reaches 55C.
    Please help and thanks
    2023-01-04.png

I could be wrong but there is no strategy for cooling fan operation based on transmission operating temp. Only based on Engine/Trans code fail-safes, A/C operation, and engine coolant temperature.

Tuner in Training
    Is the transmission oil temperature in my vehicle normal or high?

The file is attached for viewing110644_5.hpl

Your hpl is a new format so I can't view it. Typicaly a locked up converter will be in the range of 140-160 degrees F. A trans that is using torque multiplication (unlocked will typically run 180 to 200. If it is held right below stall/flash with severe use could run 240 temporarily. Trans fluid will make a difference. If you have an older trans that uses DexIII it will not take as much abuse/heat as Dex6 due to Dex6 being 100% synthetic.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you

The CVPI uses the same aux trans cooler as the civilian Crown Vics as of like 1998. It's basically an external oil to air cooler integrated with the A/C condenser, and uses a thermostatic housing to bypass the cooler until a certain temperature. I recall the thermostat housing opening around 200F.

4R70W/4R75W uses Mercon-V (Not Dex III) and was prior to Ford's switch to Mercon LV or ULV.

So as long as your trans fluid temp is kept below 220F it should be fine. Keeping it a bit cooler like around 200F is better but not mandatory. The old adage to keep trans fluid at 160F is woefully outdated.

The Crown Vics sold to the Middle East are going to be a bit different as they often have extra cooling/HVAC systems like dual zone A/C and the engine oil cooler added as well.