Thread: Upgrade from MPVI 1 Pro to MPVI 3 Pro worth it? Only tuning Gen 3 & Early Gen 4 LS

Advanced Tuner

Question Upgrade from MPVI 1 Pro to MPVI 3 Pro worth it? Only tuning Gen 3 & Early Gen 4 LS

Hello,

I've been tuning for many years but only tune Gen 3 and early Gen 4 LS platforms with my MPVI 1 Pro.

Are there any real advantages of upgrading to the MPVI 3 module? What can the MPVI 3 do that my MPVI 1 Pro can't?

Thanks!

Bill

Not worth it until the MPVI dies completely.

The MPVI3 and the newest software removed a bunch of functions anyway, sticking with 3.X and earlier 4.X versions is better.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    MPVI3 and tune any vehicle on our supported vehicle list and offers universal credits vs your MPVI1 which was limited to essentially older GM/Ford/Dodge applications and had specific credits that were not interchangeable. Lost/stolen MPVI1=not recoverable, MPVI3 virtually always recoverable. Lots of advantages to the MPVI3 vs your older device.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Not worth it until the MPVI dies completely.

The MPVI3 and the newest software removed a bunch of functions anyway, sticking with 3.X and earlier 4.X versions is better.
    That's what I was thinking... What functions have been "removed" with the newer software? Anything Gen 3/ Gen 4 LS related?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    MPVI3 and tune any vehicle on our supported vehicle list and offers universal credits vs your MPVI1 which was limited to essentially older GM/Ford/Dodge applications and had specific credits that were not interchangeable. Lost/stolen MPVI1=not recoverable, MPVI3 virtually always recoverable. Lots of advantages to the MPVI3 vs your older device.
    Since I only tune Gen 3 & Gen 4 LS platforms, doesn't seem that the MPVI3 has an advantage over the MPVI1. Not too concerned about my cable being lost or stolen, since I'm the only one that uses it.

What Gen 3 / Gen 4 LS tuning advantages does the MPVI3 have over my MPVI1? Doesn't the MPVI3 require an internet connection in order to tune a vehicle?
    2001 Camaro SS M6 - 23,xxx Miles

Huron Speed AC Turbo AC Kit - 6.0L 9.4CR, LS3 Heads, 226 232 115 lsa cam, Turbonetics 7575 1.15 AR Turbo

10.98 @ 133 MPH on 9 lbs boost

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Billiumss View Post
    What Gen 3 / Gen 4 LS tuning advantages does the MPVI3 have over my MPVI1? Doesn't the MPVI3 require an internet connection in order to tune a vehicle?
    Because the MPVI3 doesn't use an app key based system and uses a sync system it does require an internet connection to sync your credits to your device. MPVI1 has about 406 licensing slots, we are seeing more and more of these get completely filled with licenses as well.

Again Main advantages are universal credits and being able to recover a stolen/lost device which happens alot more often than you might think. There are a lot of little things the MPVI3 has advantages as well, most are listed on the product page.

Not sure I'm correct so looking for an answer but since all electronics eventually fail, will the licensing on MPVI not be recoverable when it fails at some future time.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by OhTwo View Post
    Not sure I'm correct so looking for an answer but since all electronics eventually fail, will the licensing on MPVI not be recoverable when it fails at some future time.
    Correct, if an MPVI1 fails they are not recoverable nor can they be upgraded if they fail.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Correct, if an MPVI1 fails they are not recoverable nor can they be upgraded if they fail.
    WTF? That has changed.

I remember years ago, like 10-15 years ago, that if your MPVI1 failed all you guys needed was the MPVI Tuning module mailed back to you and ID number on the back of the unit to prove it was yours. We had accounts that tied that number to us and HP Tuners has a record of all credits that we bought.
    2001 Camaro SS M6 - 23,xxx Miles

Huron Speed AC Turbo AC Kit - 6.0L 9.4CR, LS3 Heads, 226 232 115 lsa cam, Turbonetics 7575 1.15 AR Turbo

10.98 @ 133 MPH on 9 lbs boost

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    WTF? That has changed.

I remember years ago, like 10-15 years ago, that if your MPVI1 failed all you guys needed was the MPVI Tuning module mailed back to you and ID number on the back of the unit to prove it was yours. We had accounts that tied that number to us and HP Tuners has a record of all credits that we bought.
    Hasn't changed, if the device fails internally they are not acceptable for upgrade. Licenses are physically stored on the MPVI1 device, if the device fails there is no way to restore these licenses.
    Last edited by Bill@HPTuners; 01-05-2023 at 01:58 PM.

That's what I was thinking... What functions have been "removed" with the newer software? Anything Gen 3/ Gen 4 LS related?
    Mainly emissions related stuff because of laws and such.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Senior Tuner
    One thing if you use it... RTT hasn't worked in a long while (years?) and when it did work with the new software you couldn't clear the scanner histograms like in the old scanner after you applied changes.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Hello Bill

I purchased an MPVI3 and emailed support - they are telling me I have to send in my MPVI2 interfaces to have the licenses transferred over to the MPVI3.....
    this makes no sense to me as I thought the licenses were stored on your server now and not on the interface....

as a professional tuning shop staying booked out 4 weeks in advance (or more) - I can't afford to be without my interface(s) for a week
    -
    furthermore I was told that the MPVI2's will be destroyed in the process so I won't have them for backup interfaces....... WTF?!? - after investing in the MPVI2's because they were the latest and greatest deals I just get to throw them away now?!? Awesome

FWIW - the MPVI1's I have are still my favorite interfaces

JP

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by 68Camaro View Post
    Hello Bill

I purchased an MPVI3 and emailed support - they are telling me I have to send in my MPVI2 interfaces to have the licenses transferred over to the MPVI3.....
    This is correct.