Thread: 2618 pistons

2618 pistons

Looking for some options on cold starts with these forged pistons with knock in low rpm range with out completely deadening knock sensors or waiting 15 minutes on warm up?

Advanced Tuner
    At what EOT does it stop seeing rock? What material are those forged outta? Who measured em and did the final hone? How much piston to wall did they say it has?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSick View Post
    At what EOT does it stop seeing rock? What material are those forged outta? Who measured em and did the final hone? How much piston to wall did they say it has?
    Good questions because I run 2816 pistons in a hellcat swapped drag car for 3 seasons and over 400 passes and I never see any warm-up knock or low rpm knock.

well im guessing its piston slap but dont know how because when i put them in bitches were tight as hell broke a ring on one piston trying to get them in so very tight tolerances. Had a Friend of mine do block work cant remember what the final specs were been few years since this is my weekend project it doesnt get alot of attention. there dss pistons if that helps any
    could be vavle train noise to not sure but i just know ive been fighting it for awhile now and not sure what else i can do besides take heads off and inspect which im trying not to do. This is my first tune so dont trust everything ive learned ethier and this isnt really what you would call a noob first try tune engine lol

Last edited by evildodge; 01-07-2023 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by evildodge View Post
    Looking for some options on cold starts with these forged pistons with knock in low rpm range with out completely deadening knock sensors or waiting 15 minutes on warm up?
    2618, a lot depends on manufacturers, different skirts do different things. Also the quality of the batch aluminum, 4032 has tighter QC requirements in the raw materials, so it’s the more consistent raw core. 2618’s can vary from set to set just enough to irritate engine builders and tuners
    04 GTX........ 8.91@151mph 392Ci G3Hemi NA 3600lbs 2.6HP/CI Naturally Aspirated
    05 GTxtreme 9:45@142mph 426Ci G3Hemi NA 4000lbs
    G3 Hemi Videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClS...5mXdDR5sOxs10Q

Do you have any logs before the engine rebuild?
    G3 Hemi Videos

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRam View Post
    Do you have any logs before the engine rebuild?
    No i wish i did but engine was no good had a spun bearing when i bought it

What I do, and this isn’t much of a help to you at this time, is I do what I call “back ground noise” logs, each vehicle has a different amount of background knock noise, some of it is internal, opposing cylinder fire, scavenging spark, external can be tight belt tensioner, clutch fan. Once I have that start point, anything above those voltages is “tuned” out or spark is adjusted.

What I would do in your situation is bump all voltages up to 1.5 in the lower voltage cells to start, and adjust from there.
    G3 Hemi Videos

What I do, and this isn?t much of a help to you at this time, is I do what I call ?back ground noise? logs, each vehicle has a different amount of background knock noise, some of it is internal, opposing cylinder fire, scavenging spark, external can be tight belt tensioner, clutch fan. Once I have that start point, anything above those voltages is ?tuned? out or spark is adjusted.

What I would do in your situation is bump all voltages up to 1.5 in the lower voltage cells to start, and adjust from there.
    does anyone have a stock 6.1 log that i can kinda get an idea where to start?
    I dont wanna guess at the number to harsh before i start desensitizing

I'm looking around for one now, Ray might have one....(6.1 log ) the other thing you can do for now is right click on the RPM scale on your KN Voltage table and scale it from 1200 RPMs up to 6k Then smooth it out to 6k , that'll eliminate any false knock at idle....lets face it if it's actually knocking at Idle you have other issues.
    G3 Hemi Videos

I'm looking around for one now, Ray might have one....(6.1 log ) the other thing you can do for now is right click on the RPM scale on your KN Voltage table and scale it from 1200 RPMs up to 6k Then smooth it out to 6k , that'll eliminate any false knock at idle....lets face it if it's actually knocking at Idle you have other issues.
    Why doesn't he do a log sitting in his driveway from idle to 4000 rpm and use that as the baseline.
    One with hood open and one with hood closed.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by calgarylsswapper View Post
    Why doesn't he do a log sitting in his driveway from idle to 4000 rpm and use that as the baseline.
    One with hood open and one with hood closed.

Rick
    you would have to ask him ?
    62 Biscayne 425/409 SS/D stock class car 10.60s
    66 Dart 426CIG3 8.60@171 2750lbs Naturally asperated
    04 Ram All Alum , 468Ci G3 10.50s @4800 lbs Naturally asperated
    04 Rumble Bee, built 6.1 ,4000lbs 10.48 @ 129s MPH. Naturally asperated
    05 Rumble Stock 5.7, 3.92s TUNE ONLY 13.94@98mph

im not getting kr at idle more in the 1600 to 2000 range and then some at 5600 and 6200 rpm
    What im getting at is what would yall run your sensors at where its still safe to say no real knock is happing (what voltage?) Considering there 2618 pistons
    Im not hearing any but more concerned with detonation