Thread: Old LS Tuner turned Ecoboost Newby

Old LS Tuner turned Ecoboost Newby

Ok, Where do I start?
    It's been years since I've really done much tuning and life also through me a curve and now have Parkinsons and Hypopituitarism. The only reason I mention it, is both conditions cause severe memory loss, so I'm about as dumb as a box of rocks now, so try to be patient and don't assume that I have a grasp of all the core concepts I should have, but most of the time I can recall things with a little prodding. I'm just looking for a little guidance to get started.

I have a 2015 F150 3.5 Ecoboost Platinum with a CAI and Turbosmart wastegate actuators.
    Thanks for any help you can give and thanks for at least reading this post...

05' Z51 M6 - 1 7/8" Kooks with No Cats and X Pipe, GHL Bullets, Vararam, Ported LS3 Heads, LS7 Ported Throttle body, Trak Cam 231/234 .640/.590 112 LSA, 60# Injectors, RPM Level V Trans, MGW Shifter, RPM Stage III Rear w/3:90's, McLeod Dual Disk Clutch, HP Tuner Pro Suite, Z06 Rear Wide Body

Dyno'd @ 467 rwhp, 417 rwtq
    Best Run 11.03 @ 126 mph with a 1.60 60'

Advanced Tuner
    Welcome to the grind sir! This will be a big learning curve but there is a lot of information here available. Usually people here are patient and willing to help out. Post your tune file when you can and any specific issues you may be having. Posted notes will be my tip for the day. There are a lot of concepts to grasp and I lose my train of thought often so post ideas and understandings and have them at the ready around your tunning computer. Main thing to remember is to not try and undo everything Ford did in the way of operations. They are way smarter than most here so its that way for a reason. Instead try to settle on the idea that massaging what is already there will get you where you want to be. Have fun, Cheers!

Thanks, I`ll definitly be taking it slow, not much choice anyway.

Tuner in Training
    The thing about the Ford system is instead of straight-up telling it what values you want for things, you have a whole bunch of limiters, and you just tell it how much power you want to make, then set those limiters for everything to keep things under control so nothing comes apart. Then the engine decides for itself how to get there. And that's exactly what you want happening, because it knows better than you do how to make the most power most safely. Don't fight it. Just work on setting up your limiters how you want them, then ask for more power and it should just get out of the way. Log everything. When you're not making as much as you want, the answer is always in the logs.

Quote Originally Posted by FastCar View Post
    The thing about the Ford system is instead of straight-up telling it what values you want for things, you have a whole bunch of limiters, and you just tell it how much power you want to make, then set those limiters for everything to keep things under control so nothing comes apart. Then the engine decides for itself how to get there. And that's exactly what you want happening, because it knows better than you do how to make the most power most safely. Don't fight it. Just work on setting up your limiters how you want them, then ask for more power and it should just get out of the way. Log everything. When you're not making as much as you want, the answer is always in the logs.
    Would you have a pre and post tune files to see what areas you are talking about and how much modification is needed? You pick the vehicle. Trying to learn Ford stuff myself.