Thread: Gen 3 Coyote Turbo Base Tune

Tuner in Training

Gen 3 Coyote Turbo Base Tune

I'm new to the forum and have already learned so much. This forum is much different than many I have joined. Im not sure why but the information is there, you just have to dig very deep to find it. There are many helpful folks on here, I have learned a bunch from reading posts with murfie, veeefour, SultanHassanMasTuning, engineermike, Thatwhite5.0, the HPTuners guys, and other....thanks so much!

I think I understand Mapped Points for cam timing and the way spark and torque tables are used based on those cam positions. I even graphed the MPs and then later found posts where several had already done the same thing. I think I learn more by figuring it out, with the confirmation. I tested my understanding by changing some distance tables and a MP to create a ghost cam, first try.

Im currently working on a base tune for a twin turbo Gen3 Coyote. I was able to rescale the spark tables, torque and inverse torque tables, driver demand table, IPC monitor tables, modify knock sensor limits to limit advance, changed Power Enrichment tables and settings, and etc.

Many of my unanswered questions come in on the Airflow section. I read some posts but I still don't understand how the ECU will use the Airflow/Speed Density part. I think it will use the MAF to calculate a MAP along the regression lines (or linear line). Is it as simple as allowing it to calculate above a load of 1.0 by removing some limitations on MAP calculations since this is a stock engine?

The engine is bone stock so I think the Speed Density tables apply and extending them past 1.0 load would work.

Here are the questions:

Airflow>General>MAF Calibration
    • Cylair Filter, do I leave this Enabled?
    • Cylair Anticipation, do I leave this Enabled?
    • Cylair WOT Multiplier, do I just raise this to my intended load level (8 psi would be = 1.6)?
    • Cylair Max Multiplier, do I need to raise this? Currently at 0.95

Airflow>General>Airmass Correction
    • Max Multiplier, do I raise this to 100% + intended boost (100%+60%=160%)?

Anything else on the General tab?

Airflow>Speed Density>General
    • MAP Max Delta above BP, do I raise these to anticipated boost levels (8psi=1.6 load = about 18 inhg above ATM)?
    • MAP Max vs. Airmass, do I raise these to anticipated boost levels (8 psi = about 48 inhg)?
    • Calc MAP Max, do I raise this to about 48 inhg (or a little higher)?

Airflow>Speed Density>Aircharge
    Do I need to make changes?

Airflow>Speed Density> Aircharge Mult

Airflow>Speed Density> Aircharge Maximum Load

Anything else on the Airflow tab?

Probably too many questions for my first real post. I will tell you, I have done my best to understand this platform, made good progress by reading your posts....just need some help on the Airflow.

Thanks!!

Advanced Tuner
    I think I would study the stock ecoboost tune along with the GT500 tune. I would then look at a Roush FI tune. Compare and see what ford is doing different with the turbos.

Sorry I know not much help.

Tuner
    Here are the questions:

Airflow>General>MAF Calibration
    Cylair Filter, do I leave this Enabled? Yes, if you disable engine won?t run well
    Cylair Anticipation, do I leave this Enabled? Disable, this seems to use more influence from SD, so creates more problems in a turbo car
    Cylair WOT Multiplier, do I just raise this to my intended load level (8 psi would be = 1.6)? Make 1.9
    Cylair Max Multiplier, do I need to raise this? Currently at 0.95 Make 1.9 as well. Don?t know why but the load and fuel calcs don?t work well when at stock values.

Airflow>General>Airmass Correction
    Max Multiplier, do I raise this to 100% + intended boost (100%+60%=160%)? Think this stays 1.0

Anything else on the General tab?

Airflow>Speed Density>General
    MAP Max Delta above BP, do I raise these to anticipated boost levels (8psi=1.6 load = about 18 inhg above ATM)? This should be the boost you expect at each rpm. Leave off boost low rpm?s at zero else you might get shitty idle and off boost running
    MAP Max vs. Airmass, do I raise these to anticipated boost levels (8 psi = about 48 inhg)? Max MAP, so boost plus 14.7psi
    Calc MAP Max, do I raise this to about 48 inhg (or a little higher)? Same number as above

Airflow>Speed Density>Aircharge
    Do I need to make changes? Leave stock

Airflow>Speed Density> Aircharge Mult
    Do I need to make changes? Yes, for the higher rpm multipliers keep the multiplier constant, don?t let it reduce as this seems to allow lambda to go lean as you get into these rpm?s.

Airflow>Speed Density> Aircharge Maximum Load
    Do I need to make changes? Think these are your boost plus 14.7psi