Thread: Need internet to tune Tundra?

Potential Tuner

Need internet to tune Tundra?

Something change? To write a file to my 18 tundra I have to have an active internet connection. To open the file and edit it I have to have my mpvi2 plugged in and an active internet connection. Is this a Toyota thing? Month or two ago when I was tuning my Durango I didn?t need one.
    2014 Silverado - Long tube headers//Volant Intake//L86 Intake//L86 Throttle Body//3" Exhaust//AFP Tuning

YES, most of the cars now needs a defintion file from the HPtuners server so you are going to need internet connection

Potential Tuner
    That?s annoying. Any reason why?

Hptuners cannot access the file i would assume.. seems like the security on these is something else

Potential Tuner
    Ok so that makes sense for the initial file but why the continuous need for it just to tweak it and load it?
    2014 Silverado - Long tube headers//Volant Intake//L86 Intake//L86 Throttle Body//3" Exhaust//AFP Tuning

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by centex View Post
    Ok so that makes sense for the initial file but why the continuous need for it just to tweak it and load it?
    I'm assuming the same reason you have to buy 'credits' so they know it's legit and using their servers.

Tuner in Training
    Does anyone know if you need internet during the write process? Or just before or after?

Tuner in Training
    It's before, but personally, I don't touch anything until it's finished. Bricks are not a good time.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Wynnded View Post
    It's before, but personally, I don't touch anything until it's finished. Bricks are not a good time.
    That's what I figured I just wanted to see if anyone has experienced an internet outage during a flash... That's really the only thing that bothers me with the whole process, routers aren't the most reliable thing...

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanallaire View Post
    That's what I figured I just wanted to see if anyone has experienced an internet outage during a flash... That's really the only thing that bothers me with the whole process, routers aren't the most reliable thing...
    I don't know for certain, but I think that it uses the internet just briefly to check to make sure you're legitimate and whatnot, it doesn't require that it be connected the entire duration of the flashing process. I'd think that if it were otherwise, it would've been commented on often enough that we'd have stumbled upon someone reporting an issue.