Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ECU Bricked or Not Responding - 2014 Mercedes CLA 45 AMG

Tuner in Training
    I got a new main battery and backup battery and installed both.
    Received my previously loved ECU for $150 online and already opened it. The part of the case I removed got bent but I will bend it back or look for a new one later.

Here are the pics:
    https://ibb.co/Ms9Jzk9
    https://ibb.co/Yj6JYH9

I should receive my KESS tomorrow and looking forward to causing some trouble!

dont think cloned kess will do it

Tuner in Training
    Really? What is needed? chevota said he was able to do it above on his car?

You mean cloning and ECU with KESS will not work?

Advanced Tuner
    It worked perfectly for me. I don't believe it matters if it's KESS or K-TAG, as long as you have the Tricore dealie and get that boot pin.

Your ECU is shorter, less stuff on it so the boot pin is in a different spot than mine, so I circled it in your pix. The wiring is the same as the pix I gave you so imo you're good to go.
    Do what I did, which is copy the junkyard ECU first. That way you can verify the chinese KESS and Tricore dealie all work before you put it on your ECU.

MED17.7.2 Boot Pin.jpg
    '16 E550 Coupe RWD - C207.373 / M278.922 / MED17.7.3 / 722.909

Quote Originally Posted by i120bspeedy View Post
    Really? What is needed? chevota said he was able to do it above on his car?

You mean cloning and ECU with KESS will not work?
    Ktag has MED17.7.2 just checked
    Xstages Motorsport

Tuning inquiries:

ECU, TCU, CPC Online Tuning
    Whatsapp: +971503383340
    Email: [email protected]
    Insta: @xstages.motorsport
    www.xstages.com

Tuner in Training
    Progress is being made.

Ebay ECU is on the bench. I tried a KESS V2 China clone and could not get it to do anything.
    My KTAG clone arrived yesterday and looks like it is working.

I was able to read and create backup and write from backup.
    692 - BOSCH MED17.7.2 IROM TC1797 MERCEDES GPT(P692)
    A45 AMG (instead of CLA 45 AMG)

"Writing successfully completed"

Next step - Open my expensive and new ECU that Mercedes just replaced and copying or cloning it to this Ebay ECU.
    Aaron
    2014 Mercedes CLA 45 AMG

Tuner in Training
    Uh oh!
    KESS v2 and KTAG are not working with new Mercedes ECU despite it being the same type. Maybe because they are clones. Bummer.

Alternative suggestions? I guess I could buy a virgin ecu and take it to Mercedes but that is not as fun.

Advanced Tuner
    You mean it won't read it? Like you're getting errors or what?
    I would keep trying. Seems odd the KESS didn't work on the old one and now neither work on the new. Like maybe it's something else, like bad software or something? I could send you mine if you want to try. It's portable, smaller and no install required.

If all fails you could virginize the old one. I remeber researching it but I forgot the details since cloning was easier.
    '16 E550 Coupe RWD - C207.373 / M278.922 / MED17.7.3 / 722.909

Tuner in Training
    I forgot what error KESS V2 gave. My ECU is not even on there though and I tried the ones that were close. KESS V2 has 17.7.1 r 17.7.3 but not 17.7.2.

KTAG does list 17.7.2. When using with the new ECU, I get the following error "Communication error with the ECU." This ECU works perfectly in my car so I know it is good.
    I took pictures of how the other one was setup and set this up identically.''

My research indicates that creating a virgin ECU is more difficult and requires very expensive hardware. That hardware costs more then a new ECU form Mercedes.
    Aaron
    2014 Mercedes CLA 45 AMG

get Tactrix Openport 2 and DTS Monaco then contact me to flash your ebay ecu

Tuner in Training
    outlaw_50 - I missed your message here and truly appreciate you offering to help. If I saw this, I would have done exactly that. But, I do have good news!

I did it! I was able to clone it. Super pumped.

I returned my Kess and KTAG clones and bought a PCMTuner for like $199 off of AliExpress. Some parts were super interesting and not straightforward. It came with next to zero documentation that I could find in the box or online.
    I will create a video soon in case there are other MED17.7.2 folks out there.
    Aaron
    2014 Mercedes CLA 45 AMG

Tuner in Training
    How I cloned the ECU on my 2014 Mercedes CLA 45 AMG.

I am not an expert. This is for educational purposes only. I am not responsible for any damage or loss as a result of following these instructions. Cloning or doing any changes to an ECU is risky and could result in a large bill from a mechanic or the dealer.

Vehicle:
    2014 Mercedes CLA 45 AMG

ECU Specs:
    Infineon: TC1797 Micro

Part Number:
    A 270 900 09 00 <--2 of these. One original ECU and the other was from another vehicle)
    Bosch Med17.7.2

Device Used to clone:
    Windows 10 PC with at least two USB Ports
    PCMTuner Ver. 1.2.7 (I bought mine on AliExpress.com
    https://www.obd2gate.com/products/pc...rogrammer.html)

Procedure:

1. Buy a ECU with the same part number and specs (you need two ECUs. Original and another one to clone your original too)

2. Carefully and clearly label both ECUs. You absolutely do not want to confuse them or the order of operations.

3. Carefully remove the covers
    Details: Removed the screws holding the covers on. Took the ECU and screws to home depot. Bought some screws that are the same size as the diameter of the holes on the cover and too
    large to screw into the threads on the main body of the ECU. Screwed these new larger screens into the ECU until there was resistance. Heated up the ECU with a heat gun carefully. Went around and tightened the screws 1-2 turns.
    Repeated this process until the covers came off enough to use a razor blade to cut the sealant. Make sure the blade is only exposed enough to cut the sealant and not far enough to touch the sensitive electronics. This method allowed me to take
    off the covers without any bending or other damage.

4. Solder a wire onto the boot ping/pad location on each ECU.
    <see pic for my ECU>

5. Setup and install the PCMTuner software.

6. Connect the wires per the wiring diagram to your source or original ECU. If done correctly, you should have 8 wires connected to your ECU.
    One wire connects to the boot pin wire (you soldered this one earlier), an S1, an S2, two positive 12 volts, ground, CAN High, and CAN Low.
    PCMTuner comes with an application called ECUHelp. This describes the connections required except for the colors are wrong and it makes no mention of the boot pin. The wires are labeled, use the white labels for reference.
    <wiring diagram>

7. Launch PCMTuner.exe

8. Make sure PCMTuner "J2534: Scanmatik - SM2 USB" is listed in the Interface box

9. The second box you will need to select Module 53 Under the Password Group and select
    [53] VAZ/UAZ ME17.9.71. There is a [53] MED17/EDC17 GPT but that did not work.

10. Click on read and you should get some dialogue that it connected and operation was successful. Press "OK". It will then ask you to save the file.
    Save it to a well labeled folder. This is the password file for this specific ECU that you will need later.

11. Go back to the PCMTuner app. Now change the second box to [53] TC797 Micro. Leave the verify&fix CRC checked and click on read.

12. A dialogue box will come up. Do not change the first box "ECU". On the second box "Password, select browse because the default password does not work.
    Browse to the file you saved in step 10. Leave automatic power control checked. Click on OK. You should see the PCMTuner app copying and this may take 5 minutes or so.
    It should report success and then press OK. It will then prompt you to save the file. Save this in a well labeled folder.
    This is the CPU and related files you just saved.

13. Go back to the PCMTuner app. Now change the second box to [53] TC797 EEPROM. Leave the verify&fix CRC checked and click on read.

14. A dialogue box will come up. Do not change the first box "ECU". On the second box "Password, select browse because the default password does not work.
    Browse to the file you saved in step 10. Leave automatic power control checked. Click on OK. You should see the PCMTuner app copying and this may take 5 minutes or so.
    It should report success and then press OK. It will then prompt you to save the file. Save this in a well labeled folder.
    This is the EEPROM and related files you just saved.

15. Unplug your source or original ECU and now plug in your destination or other ECU that you want the source or original ECU data cloned to. Remember - All 8 wires!

16. Double check the you are now working with your correct destination ECU.

17. The second box you will need to select Module 53 Under the Password Group and select
    [53] VAZ/UAZ ME17.9.71. There is a [53] MED17/EDC17 GPT but that did not work.

18. Click on read and you should get some dialogue that it connected and operation was successful. Press "OK". It will then ask you to save the file.
    Save it to a well labeled folder. This is the password file for this specific ECU that you will need later.

19. Go back to the PCMTuner app. Now change the second box to [53] TC797 Micro. Leave the verify&fix CRC checked and click on write.

20. A dialogue box will come up. Do not change the first box "ECU". On the second box "Password, select browse because the default password does not work.
    Browse to the file you saved in step 18. Leave all boxes check but you MUST uncheck Write SW Areas Only, Skip service areas. Click on OK.
    You should see the PCMTuner app erasing and writing files and this may take 5 minutes or so.
    It should report success and then press OK.
    CPU files are now written to the destination ECU.

21. Go back to the PCMTuner app. Now change the second box to [53] TC797 EEPROM. Leave the verify&fix CRC checked and click on write.

22. A dialogue box will come up. Do not change the first box "ECU". On the second box "Password, select browse because the default password does not work.
    Browse to the file you saved in step 18. Leave all boxes with the default selections. Click on OK.
    You should see the PCMTuner app erasing and writing files and this may take 5 minutes or so.
    It should report success and then press OK.
    EEPROM files are now written to the destination ECU.

23. Unplug your destination ECU.

24. Carefully remove the jumper cables you soldered in step 4.

25. Carefully put back on covers and screws. You may want to put sealant here to protect from water or dust damage.

26. Save and archive all files you created during this process. Never know if you will need them again and these are very specific and not easily replaceable.

27. Install Destination ECU in the car and take it for a test drive!
    Aaron
    2014 Mercedes CLA 45 AMG