Thread: 2015 Mustang 5.0 V8 - "PATSENABLED" PID toggles enabled/disabled about once a second

Potential Tuner

2015 Mustang 5.0 V8 - "PATSENABLED" PID toggles enabled/disabled about once a second

2015 Mustang 5.0 V8 - no crank/ no start - "PATSENABLED" PCM PID toggles enabled/disabled about once a second

1965 Mustang gets 2015 Mustangs heart and soul - PCM, BCM, GWM, RTM, BJB, keyless entry system. Rest of the modules are out.

The challenge: The car does not start and I THINK its a PATS issue as I see in FORScan live data that "PATSENABLED" PID in PCM toggles between enabled/disabled state about once a second. See the screenshot. On the screenshot you can see other PIDs "ENG_START_DIS" and "ENG_START_NRML" also toggling, BUT they have the same pattern as "PATSENABLED", but lagging a bit behind, which makes me feel PATS is the cause, not the symptom.

PCM_BCM_enabled_disabled_FS_Win.png

What has been done?

1. PATS disabled from the VCM Editor. That said, from HPTuners forums it seems the flag does nothing for 2011+ cars. Does nothing is not quite accurate tho - I do not have any codes related to missing Steering Column Lock Module (SCLM) after the disable.
    2. Powers, grounds, network restores etc. Full list - https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=23169.

Questions:

1. Anyone seen "PATSENABLED" PCM PID toggle like this before? I would expect it to either stay in "disabled" or "enabled", not toggle. Toggle makes me FEEL like the PCM has issues.
    2. What does disabling PATS actually do in VCM Editor? It did make the Steering Column Lock Module (SCLM) DTC-s go away, but is it just hiding DTC and still misses the SCLM? By the service info the SCLM is part of the PATS and IF BCM has no comms with the SCLM, which is true as ours has been tossed, then the car WILL NOT start.
    3. Scrapyard SCLM - not sure if it is worth wiring up when there are no more DTCs? Depends what the answer to the previous question is. Also, probably need some tool to do introduce the new SCLM? What tool?
    4. Are there any places to bench test a PCM? Best if in Europe, but any will do.
    5. Can you copy over PCM contents including VIN or it is inevitable that after new PCM you have to introduce it to the BCM

All input is appreciated!
    Last edited by tiblu; 01-09-2023 at 02:29 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    you can send the pcm to eric brooks on here and he can go in a disable the pats and ship it back out to you

in this case why specify this feature in vcm editor?
    like most other functions that do not actually work

GM FORD DODGE
    custom xdf for hpt

Advanced Tuner
    yea that part i dont know they have had that pats disable switch in there for a while on the coyote vehicles but hes been one of the go to guys on here to get that handled

Potential Tuner
    Thanks to all for participating!

Quote Originally Posted by svvag2000 View Post
    Made a separate topic to find out what the PATS enable/disable in the VCM Editor actually does? - https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...623#post712623

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by svvag2000 View Post
    Unfortunately not as simple as the switch in these and many other applications, requires some additional work outside of our software/hardware.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Got junkyard body (14A005) and instriument panel (14401) wiring harnesses and the car runs.
    So, wiring mistake confirmed, unfortunately did not trace it down to exact mistake as being to expensive.