Thread: Using HPtuners as a scan tool

Potential Tuner

Using HPtuners as a scan tool

I?ve been looking for a new scan tool to use at work for a while now and came across HPtuners when looking into tunes for my Sonic RS and the boss man?s F150. I?ve been considering autoenginuity for a while, but if I can run diagnostics and data logging without getting a license for each vehicle then HPtuners would be considerably less expensive than autoenginuity and I could get back into tuning. We have about 15 trucks in our fleet and for the most part I really just need a scan tool, which the company would pay for, but if I?d need to license each vehicle to unlock all of the diagnostic features then autoenginuity with the domestic dealer package may be a better way to go.

Senior Tuner
    HPT Scanner has never required licensing.

But, it's really not built to be a replacement for a real scan tool/application. You can kinda get most of the way there but it's just not built for doing that.

What happens when you need to find a pesky EVAP leak? It sure is convenient to have the bidirectional controls for all the EVAP stuff, and the related data PIDs, all on one page all at the same time.

Potential Tuner
    I really appreciate the replies, I?ve been stuck using a Bosch scanner from Oreilly?s for the last few years that really can?t do much more than read or clear codes and display the PID values. The bidirectional control would be a huge help even if it would be more tedious to navigate than something more purpose built for diagnostics and I figure any software I get would have some learning curve.
    How robust are the bidirectional controls with HPT and are you able to use all of them without vehicle specific licenses? Back in the day I had a 1984 300zx that I swapped a VG30DETT into and the NisTune software I had was a huge help figuring out weird little issues that came up with the swap, from what I?ve seen on YouTube it seems like HPT has a lot of the same functionality as that had and more

Is there a use-case for EVAP controls at all in tuning software? Just to stick with that example. HPT scanner is really for recording data, not really for displaying it in real time. What bidirectional controls there are, are for tuning-related things primarily, anything else it can do is kinda by accident. Because it is not intended to be a full featured scan tool for diagnostics. It's great for tuning but would suck as your only main diagnostic tool. You need a real, modern scan tool made for diagnostics.

If you have not used a current-gen diagnostic tool, you don't realize what the limitations of trying to use the HPT will involve. You might be able to kinda-sorta do some things but other things you'll end up stuck. HPT is engine/trans(and some fuel pump modules) ONLY, no body control systems, no instrument cluster access, no reprogramming door modules or finding out why the airbag light is on, etc. It's very very limited compared to real diag tools.

https://www.aeswave.com/Topdon-Phoen...-2-p10173.html

Potential Tuner
    Check out Vident, They offer scanners at a very reasonable price. Bidirectional controls as well. I have one and it works well!
    2002 S-10 LQ4, Sloppy's Best, TBSS, 92mm Fitech, 4l80e, 3.55 8.8

Potential Tuner
    That Phoenix and Vident scanners both look like they would be a huge upgrade over what I have now. I haven?t really considered a standalone scanner, Snap-On is the only brand I?ve used at all in the past (Modus 3 i think? it was about a decade ago) but I never liked the interface compared to using NisTune on my laptop. I also just assumed the pc based ones would be the best bang for the buck since I have a Surface Pro tablet that I can install the software on.

I work at a steel fabricator/erection company, so mostly I?m working on forklifts and heavy equipment and maybe one of the trucks every couple weeks mostly for routine maintenance. Last year I probably only used my OBD2 scanner a half dozen times or so.

Potential Tuner
    I just picked up a XTool D7 for under $400(regularly $489, click the coupon and save) off Amazon, bidirectional, seems very nice, the D8 offers Flash capabilities as well I think

looks pretty much like all the other current tablet based units

There are many reviews on YouTube
    Last edited by dave89iroc; 01-19-2023 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Added info