Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MPVI3 Connect to laptop with Bluetooth?

Potential Tuner

MPVI3 Connect to laptop with Bluetooth?

Hi All,

New to HPTuners. I just got my new MPVI3 and am able to do everything I expect with my laptop if I use a USB cable to connect but Bluetooth doesnt seem to work?

I was able to pair the device with Windows on the laptop but VCM Editor and VCM Scanner don't automatically find the device over BT when I remove the cable.

Is there a process or setting to tell VCM to look for the device using BT? I don't see any settings that look like a way to select the MPVI interface or device to use?

Thanks!
    Dave

Potential Tuner
    This is my question as well

Potential Tuner
    Same question. Trying to log some info for my Tuner, but it randomly disconnects from my laptop when connected via cable.

Advanced Tuner
    I have just received my MPVI3 as well and I'm experiencing the same thing. I was able to hook up the cable just like yourself and get bluetooth on my PC to recognize it, It says its connected to bluetooth in the windows setup screens but when you go into VCM suite or scanner it cant find the MVPI3 unless you plug in the USB cable.

If you click on VCM suite info it will only say connected if the USB cable is hooked up. The second I disconnect the cable, VCM suite cant see the MVPI3 and says cant find interface even though the bluetooth still says its connected.

The instructions are very very vague and poor when it comes to setting up the blue tooth. I did a quick google search and this seems to be a problem for many others as well. I have looked for youtube videos as well and there is really only info on the MVPI2 which doesn't help anyone with a MVPI3.

I really hope someone from HP can chyme in here because its not a cheap product by no means and it doesn't look good when a product doesn't perform as advertised

If you figure it out please post your solution or fix for others to see

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    VCM Editor does not work using bluetooth and VCM scanner is very slow using bluetooth so I would not recommend using it for scanning either to be perfectly honest.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    VCM Editor does not work using Bluetooth and VCM scanner is very slow using Bluetooth so I would not recommend using it for scanning either to be perfectly honest.
    I get what you are saying but none of us in this thread are able to get it to link up and even be recognized via Bluetooth.

Is there a procedure for getting this to work via Bluetooth, because there seems to be no information on this topic?

Now getting to what you said..... This is a brand new product that was advertised with blue tooth.

Your saying it doesn't work well at all?

That's a bit misleading from HP Tuners, not to mention paying good money for a product that doesn't do everything its advertised to do?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Vos View Post
    Your saying it doesn't work well at all?

That's a bit misleading from HP Tuners, not to mention paying good money for a product that doesn't do everything its advertised to do?
    What I'm saying and what I said was that VCM editor does not work using bluetooth, never has, likely never will. VCM editor was never meant to work with it nor advertised to work with it.

VCM Scanner is very slow using bluetooth to the point where its not very usable in practice, its just the nature of how slow bluetooth really is. A wired connection is always your best bet.

Advanced Tuner
    What I'm saying and what I said was that VCM editor does not work using Bluetooth, never has, likely never will. VCM editor was never meant to work with it nor advertised to work with it.

VCM Scanner is very slow using Bluetooth to the point where its not very usable in practice, its just the nature of how slow Bluetooth really is. A wired connection is always your best bet.

Your still not answering our question...?. What is the procedure to hook up to blue tooth? We are not even getting that to happen, never mind having any communication to even see if its to slow..

As far as blue tooth being slow, well I will say this. At the shop I work at we have an AUTEL scan tool that's blue tooth and it works flawlessly, no hiccups or slow downs whatso ever.

So its hard for me to believe that blue tooth is the issue here.

Why would HP Tuners even sell it with blue tooth if it doesn't work worth a sH%t? That what I find misleading.

One of the things that attracted me to the MVPI3 was the Bluetooth option hoping I could run wireless without the cords

There needs to be disclaimers that this does not work right or take away Bluetooth as an option.

Like why have it if it doesn't work??

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Bluetooth is meant to work with your phone and the TDN app and the track addict app.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    With that said this is how to connect via bluetooth on pc/laptop

1. Plug the interface into your pc/laptop using the supplied c-usb cable
    2. On windows 10 click the search icon and type in settings or bluetooth to bring up your bluetooth settings window
    3. turn bluetooth to the on position
    4. Hold down the button marked BT for 5 sections to enter pairing mode
    5. select + Add Bluetooth or other device
    6. select HP Tuners MPVI2 in the pairing window
    7. done.

I've tested this on multiple pc's today and its worked flawlessly on each.

Old thread but I just tested Bluetooth with my MPVI3 and a Surface tablet. The instructions above are the same for Windows 11 and the Bluetooth device name has changed to "HP Tuners MPVI3". I did a completely unscientific test using Bluetooth and my tablet to perform a scan and since I was driving and not watching my tablet, I didn't see any missed information when I reviewed the log when I was back home. I was using the latest beta version of scanner from earlier today.

Tuner in Training
    This has to be the biggest pile of shit device I have ever worked with in my 27 years working on cars.
    And dont ask me to open a god damn trouble ticket. Stop selling shit product.

Next time spend some money on customer support before you put your brand on a fucking F1 helmet

2. On windows 10 click the search icon and type in settings or bluetooth to bring up your bluetooth settings window
    7. done.

Just tried this with mine and it wouldn't allow me to pair unless I was connected to the internet. Once I did that, it paired based on you directions. I'm pretty disappointed that I won't be able to scan without connecting a cable to my laptop. That was my biggest reason for upgrading to the MPVI3...
    69 Suburban Bagged & Blown: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200387
    68 Farm Truck build thread-LS3/6L80/TVS1900: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=358692

What vehicle/ECM are you trying to scan and what version of Windows are you running? What version of VCM suite? Stable or beta?

Quote Originally Posted by OhTwo View Post
    What vehicle/ECM are you trying to scan and what version of Windows are you running? What version of VCM suite? Stable or beta?
    2019 Z06
    E92A/T87A
    Windows 11
    VCM 5.0.4
    Stable
    69 Suburban Bagged & Blown: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200387
    68 Farm Truck build thread-LS3/6L80/TVS1900: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=358692

I'll do some testing on a few cars tomorrow. I don't remember having to connect to the internet to scan via Bluetooth but I was in my garage so MS surface may have been connected. Otherwise, I'm using Win11 Pro with both 5.0.4 and whatever beta I have recently downloaded.

I'll let you know what I find out and will make sure I'm not connected to the internet via my local WiFi.

Quote Originally Posted by OhTwo View Post
    I'll do some testing on a few cars tomorrow. I don't remember having to connect to the internet to scan via Bluetooth but I was in my garage so MS surface may have been connected. Otherwise, I'm using Win11 Pro with both 5.0.4 and whatever beta I have recently downloaded.

I'll let you know what I find out and will make sure I'm not connected to the internet via my local WiFi.
    Thanks, appreciate it!

I only tried on 2 cars today as I forgot I had an evening meeting so not a lot of free time. I connected to a 2002 Trans Am and a 2013 Infiniti G37 with out a problem after... I figured out a connection issue. I removed an old Bluetooth connection to my old MPVI2 which probably wasn't necessary but on my TA try (1st one) I had my USB cable plugged into the MPVI3 to make sure it would scan. Pulled out the USB cable but couldn't get the MPVI3 to turn on Bluetooth. Shut the car off, unplugged from OBDII port, and reconnected and turned car on. Bluetooth on and then connected to MS Surface running Win11 Pro. Scanner used Bluetooth to connect to car and scan. Same situation with Infiniti but I didn't use the USB cable so learned my lesson. I shut off my wifi connection before I started on both cars and Surface doesn't have a cell card so no network connection.

Sorry that was so long but you may want to make sure your MPVI3 has the latest firmware by resuncing when it's plugged into your laptop and vehicle. Once that's complete, turn off vehicle, unplug cable, unplug MPVI3, plug it back in and turn on vehicle. Can you hit the Bluetooth button to make the MPVI3 discoverable and see if it shows without requiring a network connection. If not, I'm stumped and can test a few more cars tomorrow and see if it's a vehicle specific thing.

Potential Tuner

Thank You Bill for the information

7. done.

Thank you Bill for the information......may not be what everyone wants to hear, but at least we all know where we stand.
    Yes, Bluetooth is just about like wifi. I use a hard (ethernet) line to my desktop PC and even the best wifi modem cannot match or come close to the hard line speeds......maybe if you
    buy a very top end and expensive wifi router, but for most of us a hard line is the fastest, so it makes sense that bluetooth is the same way. I do not think people realize how much information
    is exchanged upon using VCM Editor and any glitches or static/noise errors could mess up the connection and possibly brick your ECM so I would NOT want my Bluetooth connection to
    handle that task given how many other bluetooth signals there are which could interfere with your bluetooth signal especially at a track or around a crowd of people many using bluetooth with their cellphones for earbuds, etc.
    Former electronics tech here and I was working on stuff in the late 1980's through the 1990's and witnessed a lot of technology blooming. I used to work on fax machines when they were only over the phone line.
    I remember the BIG DEAL when fax speeds went from max of 28K to 56K and it was mostly through enhanced compression methods.....lol. YES 56K....lol.
    Anyways, new to HP Tuners but back in the day I tuned my 11 different 1986/87 Grand National/Turbo Buicks as technology advanced, so understand tuning a turbo motor but the LS motors seem to be so much easier and forgiving as far as tuning goes so it should be fun and exciting to tinker around with. Definitely need to get me a wideband sensor though which I am in the process of and along with the hpvi3 I have I should be set to start tuning. The stock 2001 Chevy 5.3 Silverado I have has some kind of tune on it already so I need to hook up HP Tuners to it to see WHAT it has had done to it as far as the tune goes. I know it has much less torque management as well as modified shift points, xmission line pressure, and supposedly a mid grade (91 octane in my part of the USA) performance tune, but we will see once I get into it.
    Anyways, thank you for clarifying the BlueTooth use on this MPVi3. I am learning and really appreciate your efforts to educate us noobs.

Tuner in Training
    Bill said that the bluetooth option was really only for connecting to phones and apps. With that said, does anyone use the MPVI3 with an apple iphone and trackaddict? does it work well? is there a better option out there to use when talking about the OBDII device?