Thread: MPVI1 Should I upgrade?

Tuner in Training

MPVI1 Should I upgrade?

I have not tuned in a long time. I have a MPVI1 still running on an old computer, the version is 3 something. I have the latest HPTuners on the computer I use for Holley/MSD software tuning my drag car, I have not paired my MPVI1 with it yet.
    I'm thinking I'm going to mess with my Vette some more and maybe my ATS. Is there any advantage to getting the MPVI3 over the MPVI1? Will the MPVI1 work with the latest version of HPTuners or will I be leaving something on the table by not using the MPVI3? Mine is not the pro version, it's the standard one. Thanks for any advice you can give!

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Not really much of an advantage if you are simply sticking with a handful of GM vehicles TBH. While having inputs for things like widebands can help greatly with tuning if you don't have a wideband and don't plan to get one theres not much of a point.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Not really much of an advantage if you are simply sticking with a handful of GM vehicles TBH. While having inputs for things like widebands can help greatly with tuning if you don't have a wideband and don't plan to get one theres not much of a point.

Should I stick with my old software then? Or should I hook my MPVI1 up to the latest version and let it upgrade?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by 59VetteFI View Post
    Should I stick with my old software then? Or should I hook my MPVI1 up to the latest version and let it upgrade?
    Thats up to you really, but I don't think there is anything in the newest software that you require for your MPVI1 to function perfectly fine.

Tuner in Training
    Cool. Thanks for your help!

Same question here, just really tuning E38 (LS3 in Chevy SS), doesn't seem like there is anything to be gained with MVPI3 over what I have now MVPI(1) Pro? Only thing I can see is support for Windows 11 with newer MVPI interfaces.
    2017 Chevrolet SS, Orange Blast Metallic, Rotofab CAI. Headers coming soon. Stock Tune for now
    Previous Rides: 2008 G8 GT, 2004 GTO, 2004 GTP, 2002 TA

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    universal credits, lots of room for standalone datalogging(8gb vs 32mb of storage over the MPVI1), and license recovery for stolen/lost devices. Those are just a few of the reasons to upgrade.

On Universal Credits, it just seems to be the same if I am just licensing per vehicle, meaning I have to buy 2 credits for my 2017 SS either way. I can see universal being handy in a shop where I don't know what make/model is coming next, but for individual use seems like it works the same way.
    2017 Chevrolet SS, Orange Blast Metallic, Rotofab CAI. Headers coming soon. Stock Tune for now
    Previous Rides: 2008 G8 GT, 2004 GTO, 2004 GTP, 2002 TA

Personally I would keep the MPVI 1 and its software. Get an MPVI3 for any newer vehicles and run the new software on VMware. You can read with the 1 do mod's you can't on the 3 then write or do additional on the 3. Read files on the 1 can be read and mod'd on the 3 but not always vice versa.

Potential Tuner
    quick question, also on the same boat thinking of purchasing an old mpvi1 someone has for sale.. how does the credit aquision work for the mpvi1? Do I still need to buy credits on my own account through the website or is there some other method?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Yes, credits are purchased on the devices page for MPVI1 they are GM/Ford/Dodge credits.

Tuner in Training
    Hate to bee the one that beats a dead horse on this subject, but just wanna be sure. I have an old MPVI1 and wanting to do some tuning on the engine and transmission. I can use the mpvi1 and just purchase 2 GM credits? Do I have to update to latest software to purchase credits?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    universal credits, lots of room for standalone datalogging(8gb vs 32mb of storage over the MPVI1), and license recovery for stolen/lost devices. Those are just a few of the reasons to upgrade.
    Bill i can't get my MPVI work with my new laptop with Windows 11. I'm sure its a driver issue but not sure which one to use. Any suggestions??

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by eldale2001 View Post
    Bill i can't get my MPVI work with my new laptop with Windows 11. I'm sure its a driver issue but not sure which one to use. Any suggestions??
    MPVI1 and windows 11 are not compatible.

Upgrading to MPVI3 would be our recommendation.