Thread: E40 with TH400 questions about speed signal

E40 with TH400 questions about speed signal

I purchased an 06 GTO that had a holley sniper to run the fuel and a msd LS coil box to control the timing. Car runs great with the TH400 that is in it currently but I want to boost it. The sniper cannot support boost being the throttle body style it is and I am not a big fan of snipers anyway so I want to install a factory LS2 intake setup back on it. I bought a new engine harness and have all the schematics get the car back to "stock" setup. I have an E40 out of my old TBSS, can it be flashed to a manual tune since I am running a turbo 400 or am I better off just leaving it the auto tune and set the tune to "non electric trans"? I want the speedo to work so the auto or manual tune needs a specific reluctor from what I have read, any insight on that would help too?GTO small.jpg
    Just another day on the laptop...

Advanced Tuner
    If you want any chance of using any factory GTO things. You will likely need to flash, if even possible, a manual GTO OS to that TBSS E40. Or flash the auto GTO E40 that is currently installed to a ?06 manual GTO OS. The trans select drop down does not do anything. You will need to use Techline/SPS to flash it.

I am sure there are others that can help with the specifics and correct me if I said anything incorrect.

I dont have any ecm in the car currently, just happened to have a spare E40 out of my last swap that I was going to try to use. Can I just turn off all the trans codes in the auto ecm to make it work or will it need a manual OS to run the th400?

It does not work like the Gen 3s, you need a manual trans OS if there is no TCM.

Is your spare ECM service number the same as what's called for with the tune file you want to put on it?

The only way to change OS/platform on Gen 4s is to do the initial programming with GM SPS. HPT only writes 6 of the 8 segments.

I do have a TBSS TCM I could run with the E40. Could a person just run those and turn off all the trans codes? How do folks with automatic TBSS or GTO's run TH400s? That is basically what I could replicate.

If the TBSS ECM is 12596679, and the 2006 GTO manual trans VIN also calls for a 12596679 (I believe it does, but it's your car, you should look it up yourself), then yes you can (or someone with the tools can) SPS flash the TBSS ECM using the VIN for a manual trans 2006 GTO.

The TBSS ECM with the TBSS operating system still in it will not work in the GTO, GTOs are weird. Comms between the ECM and the rest of the car are not like other 'normal' GMs.

The way people do auto-to-manual swaps on a GTO is, they get the ECM flashed with a VIN from a manual trans GTO.

Cool, thanks for the info man. Last but not least, will I need the 17 or 40 tooth reluctor wheel in the th400 to get the speedo to work correctly? I have read in a few places that the manual and auto used different tooth counts but not 100% sure on which one was what?

Tooth count won't matter. You can use the "Speedo" tab and modify the settings to correct for inaccuracies.