Thread: Virus protection keeps deleting VCM editor Gen:Var:Tedy.274923

Tuner in Training lumberjackzac's Avatar

Virus protection keeps deleting VCM editor Gen:Var:Tedy.274923

Antivirus

The file C:\Program Files (x86)\HP Tuners\VCM Suite\VCM Editor.exe is infected with Gen:Variant.Tedy.274923 and was moved to quarantine. It is recommended that you run a System Scan to make sure your system is clean.

Whats going on here?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by lumberjackzac View Post
    Antivirus

The file C:\Program Files (x86)\HP Tuners\VCM Suite\VCM Editor.exe is infected with Gen:Variant.Tedy.274923 and was moved to quarantine. It is recommended that you run a System Scan to make sure your system is clean. Whats going on here?
    Get rid of that anti virus. Nothing works better than windows built in. Anything else is just a scam. Not only that, but anti virus programs generally slow down the PC as they are very resource intensive, and intrusive to boot. Get rid of it.

Senior Tuner
    i just got the same virus warning

AV programs look not for actual malicious code, they look for code that's similar to known malicious code. I reckon the false detection to real detection ratio is something like 10 to 1, if not worse.

Senior Tuner
    yea cant even reinstall it without it stopping me, ill have to allow the file and go from there

Senior Tuner
    now its all just turned to sh#t cant even install it now, something so simple just stuffing it all up, always says ''verify i have access to that directory'' no matter the permissions i allow or where i put the install file it dosnt get past that and its only for the editor the scanner side loads up fine, even the virus program says same thing when i go to restore the detected file back

What antivirus software do you have installed?

Senior Tuner
    got Bitdefender on there, even disabling it still has the problem, think it may be a directory issue now or something

Advanced Tuner
    FYI, first patch Tuesday of 2023 was this week.

Remember when all our 3d graphs turned black and it was all HPTs fault but it really was not actually their fault?

Have you tried to install as administrator? Right click and pick run as Administrator.

Senior Tuner
    my last windows update was 13th and this showed today 15th, was fine last night just this morning boom problem and no updates in-between except prob the virus program which may have blocked the directory from being used as well maby but im not sure how all that works

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    Have you tried to install as administrator? Right click and pick run as Administrator.
    i dont get that option to run the install file as admin at all, but ive gone in and set permissions for everyone to full and all folders it makes set them to full control and sill dosnt change anything

Senior Tuner
    if i let it go thru and the virus blocks the file same as mentioned by OP then the scanner side installs fine its just the editor side that dosnt, but if i try to allow the editor file then the virus program cant place it back as it dosnt have permission for the file directory even tho ive enabled all of it and same as if i then try to install with the file allowed it dosnt have access to that directory so cant install the editor.exe file properly, damn directories ill have a play for a few days till the next windows update happens then if still not right ill do a refresh/repair of windows

Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    i dont get that option to run the install file as admin at all, but ive gone in and set permissions for everyone to full and all folders it makes set them to full control and sill dosnt change anything
    So you are going to the download folder and when you right click you are not given the option of "run as administrator"?
    What version of windows are you running?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    So you are going to the download folder and when you right click you are not given the option of "run as administrator"?
    What version of windows are you running?
    windows 10 yea there is no option for it, if i try on other programs in windows its there but not for the hpt install file

Senior Tuner
    ok just tried installing it again and all went thru as per normal, no windows updates, no hpt updates, only virus has updated

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by danmw2003 View Post
    Get rid of that anti virus. Nothing works better than windows built in. Anything else is just a scam. Not only that, but anti virus programs generally slow down the PC as they are very resource intensive, and intrusive to boot. Get rid of it.
    I totally aggree