Thread: E78 Re-Tuning with Cam Swap

Potential Tuner

E78 Re-Tuning with Cam Swap

Hey everyone,

I would like to share my experience on here as I am in the middle of a cam swap.

Currently my truck (2011 2500HD, L96, 6L90) has a TSP Low Lift Max cam in it now (228/228, 110 LSA, .550 lift). I'm in the middle of installed BTR valve springs and the Truck Norris cam. I was originally going to go with the 202 Torque cam, but I noticed there was no drop in tq from the Truck Norris cam. Truck has a Circle D 2600-2800 converter in it already.

With this combination I've driven thousands of miles and towed a lot. Mostly towing a 32' camper and an enclosed car trailer.

Truck has a seriously awesome sounding idle, but does buck some at idle and when accelerating from a stop. I've tuned most of it out, however, I believe the tq converter is a little tight for such a large cam. I initially selected the 228 cam thinking that there wouldn't be a loss of torque based on what had been shared on the internet for the sloppy stage 2 cam. However, the last dyno tune showed a pretty big drop in tq down low. Hopefully I can fix this with the Truck Norris camshaft.

I plan on starting the truck friday with the tune that is already on it. See attached.

Let me know what you think.

CSP2.2.2 750 idle.hpt

Potential Tuner
    I have a question for anyone out there...

Is it better to start with a stock tune or the tune I attached above that is for a different camshaft?

Thanks

The truck norris cam makes alot more low end torque than a sloppy stage 2 and nearly as much up top. I would start with stock and use your other tune as a point of comparison.

Check out Richard Holdners dyno testing of the Truck Norris vs the SS2 on YouTube.

Potential Tuner
    Well I got the valve springs replaced and the new cam installed. Ran into a little bit of trouble with the cam retainer plate screws, nothing the welder and a nut couldn't take of though.

Started the truck up on the existing tune and it ran really well. I did some basic logging to check for spark knock and didn't see any. I'll follow up with some MAF and VVE logs. It was late last night and raining so I wasn't able to do much.