Thread: Unlicensed Vehicle - I think I screwed up, but customer support won't help yet

Potential Tuner

Angry Unlicensed Vehicle - I think I screwed up, but customer support won't help yet

The short answer is that HP Tuners allowed me to be stupid and license the wrong vehicle and now I can't write to the vehicle without buying two more credits. Read on if you want the long answer.

I have an LS swapped Blazer with an P01 ECM. I'm moving to a P59 ECM for various reasons that are irrelevant here.
    I bought a 2003 Yukon from the junk yard to use. I was going to copy all my tune parameters over and be good.
    I downloaded a 2003 Silverado tune that has a 4L80E off of the repository. I need the 4L80E and the Yukon tune did not. I know I should have segment swapped, but hind site is 20/20.
    Now here comes the screw up I think. I used the VIN wizard to copy the Yukon VIN to the Silverado tune and then started to write the tune. HP Tuners asked me to
    license the vehicle, which I did and then when I hit the write button it said Unlicensed Vehicle.

Licensed Vehicle: 2003 GMC Yukon (8 cyl), 0HA01N5N3073, (2)
    Current Vehicle on ECM: 2003 GMC Yukon XL 1500, 5.3 L, V8, Serial: 2CC1ZS183055

All I can figure is that HP Tuners let me license the Silverado serial number with the Yukon VIN. Which I guess makes sense, but why wouldn't it check if it could be written before it was licensed. So frustrating.

Support has not been helpful. It's beyond me that customers would get this kind of treatment. Yeah, I probably screwed up, but it's important to have happy customers.

HTML Code:
    Corey Clayton (HP Tuners)

Jan 18, 2023, 3:31 PM CST

Licensing is permanent, you can not remove or change them.
    Corey Clayton

Josh

Jan 18, 2023, 12:22 PM CST

Ok, that makes sense, but I was able to license 2003 GMC Yukon (8 cyl), 0HA01N5N3073, (2), but can't write to it because it doesn't exist. I wasted 2 credits.

Serial 0HA01N5N3073 was on the base tune I downloaded off of the site and I stupidly copied the Yukon vin to it and then licensed it when starting the write process. Is there any way I can fix the incorrectly registered vehicle? Right now when I try to write to the Yukon it says Unregistered Vehicle because of the serial number.

Ideally I'd get rid of 2003 GMC Yukon (8 cyl), 0HA01N5N3073, (2) and replace it with 2003 GMC Yukon (8 cyl), 2CC1ZS183055, (2)

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    You really should not be licensing repository files, this typically causes more issues than it fixes and it is not something we recommend. What you SHOULD is have the JYD ecm flashed to the vin/os pairing you wanted via tech 2 or similar oem style flash device, then simply read, license & tune away. Any other way is not recommended and you do so at your own risk and risk to your credits and ecm.

The software ABSOLUTELY does tell you this exact thing at the licensing screen.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    It's probably annoying to deal with customers that don't read the manual like myself, I get that. But don't you agree that happy customers pay more in the long run than making them pay double in the short run for a dumb mistake?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
    It's probably annoying to deal with customers that don't read the manual like myself, I get that. But don't you agree that happy customers pay more in the long run than making them pay double in the short run for a dumb mistake?
    Let me ask you this, do you plan on still using that file that you licensed to flash to your vehicle? Or do you plan on having the ecm flashed via tech 2 to the vin/os pairing you require?

Potential Tuner
    No, I do not plan on using that file I licensed, that was the screw up. I mistakenly licensed it and will never use it.

Potential Tuner
    However, I still need to license the correct ECM. My goal is to spend $100 on the license and not $200 because of a dumb mistake. Can you help me with that?
    Last edited by Crawford; 01-19-2023 at 01:30 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    What is your ticket number?

Potential Tuner
    Support Ticket #81125
    Order #838151

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    thank you, I'll take a closer look in the morning.