Thread: Main Spark Table (base, then what?)

Main Spark Table (base, then what?)

I'm confused by the "Base" section of the Spark Advance section.
    When look at TPS, speed, etc., the description says this:
    [ECM] 2600 - Main Spark Table Select TPS: This value is the Throttle Position required to disable the Main Spark tables.
    So above my default setting of 1.19% TPS, the main spark table is disabled? So what gets used? I want to make sure I'm modifying the right table.
    The idle tables make sense. I would expect those to be in effect until we get above a TPS or speed, then kick over to the base table (High octane / low octane), but the description is confusing me.
    Untitled.png
    • 2001 C5 Corvette (625rwhp - Procharger, LS6 heads, Torquer V2 cam)
    • 1991 Volvo 940 - 2JZGTE (600rwhp - PT6466, HKS 272 cams)

Advanced Tuner
    So you will see Idle Spark Advance being used at idle. The parameters to the left are was is considered idle. So less than 255mph and less than 1.19% tps it uses those tables.
    Then you have a idle spark table for in P/N and another for In gear.

You can datalog the different spark parameters to see which is being used.

Quote Originally Posted by RDF1 View Post
    So you will see Idle Spark Advance being used at idle. The parameters to the left are was is considered idle. So less than 255mph and less than 1.19% tps it uses those tables.
    Then you have a idle spark table for in P/N and another for In gear.

You can datalog the different spark parameters to see which is being used.

But if you're not at idle, and you're above 1.19% TPS, what table is being used?
    Yes, I'll have to datalog it to see what values I'm getting, but trying to get a firm understanding of this while the weather is crap and there are not many days I can get the C5 out over winter.

Advanced Tuner
    What channels are you datalogging?
    If you look at all the "Advance" channels you can see where its reading timing from.

Quote Originally Posted by RDF1 View Post
    What channels are you datalogging?
    If you look at all the "Advance" channels you can see where its reading timing from.
    I'm not datalogging anything right now. It's going to be a bit until I get a day that allows me to get the car out.

Senior Tuner
    You really can't rely to much on the HPT descriptions. They can be very cryptic. In your example they may be trying to say that the when TPS is below 1.19% the main spark tables are disabled and the idle tables take over.

Quote Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
    You really can't rely to much on the HPT descriptions. They can be very cryptic. In your example they may be trying to say that the when TPS is below 1.19% the main spark tables are disabled and the idle tables take over.
    That's what I'm hoping. I guess I'll just have to be patient unless I put the car up on the lift and in-gear to do some datalogging that way.

Senior Tuner
    Depending on how completely the tables are mapped for your application, you may not be able to see many of the various tables in the ECM and will not be able to have a simple it's running these parameters, therefore it's pulling from these particular tables.

Idle spark advance is at an idle. Low TPS %. As soon as you go above you use High octane/Low octane