Thread: chart vs time "generic sensor tip" pop up

Potential Tuner

chart vs time "generic sensor tip" pop up

I am looking for help in explaining the "generic sensor tip" - which pops up every time I try to define a sensor in the chart/time window (for a sensor that is already in my channel list).

I thought I was simply identifying a PID already defined in the channel list. But the "tip" introduces concepts suggesting there is more going on behind the scenes. The suggestion is that I am better off selecting "generic". Since I don't understand what the context is - I'm mystified every time the "tip" pops up. The "tip" goes on to say if you still want to use a "specific parameter" - then it needs a channel to back it up. But wait - I thought it was very clear that I needed a channel defined/identified - for the chart/time to work. So - I don't understand.

For me, the "tip" description gets more confusing - as I read the rest of it. What am I missing?
    Thx.

Senior Tuner
    the generic is the common obd2 pids which should be default on most if not all vehicles, choosing that generic uses that pid, if u choose not to then the pid may be specific to that vehicle so may not be seen on all if ur using scanner on alot of different vehicles, i usually dont select generic but im not tuning many different vehicles

Potential Tuner
    Thx. But - when I go through the channel selector process - and the VCM scanner can handle the PID in a generic sense (so I can use the list with different vehicles)- why not always use that capability? In other words - what is the advantage of selecting "specific" since I don't really know if the item I'm selecting is unique to the vehicle or not?
    I am in the same situation - I expect to only use hptuner on 1 specific car - but if the scanner can handle the PIDS in a generic sense what is the downside of always selecting "generic"?

Senior Tuner
    if u cant see any difference between them then just use either, i mainly tune the same style vehicle/engine so i use specific which sometimes have faster poll rates

There is some info here: https://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm-sc..._parameter.htm

As it describes: "Using these parameters allows much more compatibility and portability from vehicle to vehicle."

In short, use the sensor it suggests by default. Only switch to a specific parameter if the sensor is not working or you have a very specific use case.

A specific use case might be where you want to plot an individual wideband lambda (1 or 2) separately, instead of just the wideband lambda sensor which would average both 1 and 2.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...