Thread: Says I need to license a vehicle to *save a file*, not flash.

Tuner in Training SolarSupremacy's Avatar

Says I need to license a vehicle to *save a file*, not flash.

I don't understand. On one of my computers, I can edit files just fine. On the other, it's telling me I have to license the vehicle the tune came from in order to save the file.

Not flash it to the car... literally just to save the file. You don't need a license to save a file. Never have.

What the hell is going on?

Edit: Somehow, the popup for "would you like to save this file" when closing VCM Editor actually saved the file even though none of the other save-related popups would. Luckily didn't lose all the work I just put in and everything seems fine now.

I'm not sure how to delete this post. It offers very little value now that the issue is fixed.
    Last edited by SolarSupremacy; 01-19-2023 at 12:55 PM.
    Owner of Solar Customs

If you want help with tuning, automotive electrical stuffs, or other car mods, add me on Discord: SolarSupremacy

Tuner in Training
    You need to connect the MPV to the computer to "license" the VCM editor to the car. The VCM license is located in the MPV and will add the license to the computer without a license. Look in VCM Editor > Help > License Information and if there isn't a 10 digit number in left column and some "specific Controller" in the table then the software is very limited and can't save. Connect the computer USB to the MPV and ReSync the interface then exit VCM Editor and open VCM Editor again, then and check Help. The MPV doesn't need to be connected to the OBD port to do this. This is how I have 3 computers with VCM Editor licensed. This isn't necessary for VCM scanner. Remember the MPV contains the license and is added during the interface synchronization process.
    Bernie Pella
    [email protected]