Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LSA Injector Swap into LS3

Another update for future LS3 humans that might be reading this:

After messing around with some other aftermarket injectors and questionable data, and not being happy...I decided to try the $55 L96 (12613412).

First drive and all is good so far. Will need to tweak MAF and VVE a tad and then start adding more E to see Inj DC.

I did buy the o-rings* mentioned by Blind Squirrel and they did fit. However, the injectors are taller than the LS3 OEM units and they would not let the fuel rail sit on intake to bolt down. ICT Billet to the rescue with P/N 551307-037. The kit has spacers that are 9mm longer, with longer bolts, and even comes with o-rings. ICT also said to remove the cap at the bottom (see pic) but does not provide any instructions or tips. The ones in the picture do not seem to match mine, and since it appeared to be a single solid piece...I did not feel like chucking up in a lathe and going that route. So I stabbed them in and they seem to go all the way down as expected, so no interference issues with the intake manifold as far as I can tell.

*The ICT Billet o-rings are 3.5mm x 7.5mm ID and these are a MUCH tighter fit than the 3mm x 9.5mm

L96 Shroud to Remove.jpg
    A standard approach will give you standard results.

My Tuning Software:

VVE Assistant [update for v1.5]
    MAF Assistant
    EOIT Assistant

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for this thread!
    Let me ask, using the L96 injectors (12613412) -which vehicle should I be looking for a tune from to get the injector data? (I'm using an e38)

2010 Yukon XL 6.0L, found in the repository.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
    I am about to drop in some LSA injectors into my N/A LS3 due to a flex fuel conversion and I have a few questions.

2) And then I am not sure about the Min Rail Pressure. Normally my fuel pressure is 400 kPA (58 PSI)...so I am not sure if I need to change this? Is this needed if the car had a blower?

[ECM] 13541 - Minimum Rail Pressure (LS3 was 300 kPa, LSA is 150 kPa)
    [ECM] 13542 - Maximum Rail Pressure (LS3 and LSA are both 600 kPa)

Where did you land on this Cringer? Im running at 75% duty cycle WOT on petrol but am flex enabled so likely going to swap to these. I'm running a 2014 VF Commodore (L77) and my stock rail pressure settings are the same as yours (300kpa & 600kpa). The Yukon tune I got the injector data from is minimum 425kpa and max 450

Quote Originally Posted by dassaur View Post
    Where did you land on this Cringer? Im running at 75% duty cycle WOT on petrol but am flex enabled so likely going to swap to these. I'm running a 2014 VF Commodore (L77) and my stock rail pressure settings are the same as yours (300kpa & 600kpa). The Yukon tune I got the injector data from is minimum 425kpa and max 450

According to the HPT Editor, it is used for "expected fuel rail pressure used in injector control calculations." Since my fuel system is stock I thought it was best to leave this setting stock for my car (300 & 600 KPa).

Also, I was at 80-85% IDC on E50 with these, so I went with a larger aftermarket injector.
    A standard approach will give you standard results.

My Tuning Software:

VVE Assistant [update for v1.5]
    MAF Assistant
    EOIT Assistant

Tuner in Training
    Appreciate the advice!

Senior Tuner
    ive seen that expected fuel rail pressure to be an actual limit also so just make sure its over the commanded in ur FPCM

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    ive seen that expected fuel rail pressure to be an actual limit also so just make sure its over the commanded in ur FPCM
    Thanks! In FPCM everything is set to 400kpa/58psi

Tuner in Training
    Sorry, another question. I've got the injectors installed but noticed in my FSCM I have injector data as well as in the ECM - table 6991 (FSCM). The HPTuners note says it's a duplicate of the ECM Table.
    Now what is the correct thing to do in this situation? I have never written to the FSCM. Do I ignore it and assume that the FSCM pulls the data from the ECM?
    Thanks

Senior Tuner
    as far as i know just leave the fpcm IFR as it is, all the tunes worked fine before that data was available to adjust anyway just changing the engine inj data side

Tuner in Training
    Thanks 07GTS, much appreciated.

Tuner in Training
    Just wanted to report back I made the swap as according to all instructions in here and everything works great! Thanks for all the help.

Does anybody know the purpose of the extended tip on the LSA injectors? I am wondering if they are good for any blown application, or just the LSA manifold design? Thanks
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

The injector location in the LSA manifold is really compromised, and they used an angled spray to try to get it mostly into free air in the port. If there are other blowers that have the same piss-poor injector positioning then... I guess so?

Senior Tuner
    my little cruze turbo uses the same style injectors extended nose with a split/angled spray to get into the twin intake ports, these ones lock in one way so the face right so if ur using that style make sure they are facing the right way and ur spraying down the port

Ok, Thanks. I am going to forget about the extended tip. I have my injectors pointing at the intake valve. I haven't looked at the LSA intake and didn't know they had a wonky spray pattern.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Thats very close to the spray pattern angle. I ran some on my flow bench and it just looks crazy at how the fuel comes out at a stream and a pretty steep angle vs most of them spraying a cone of fuel straight.

I stuck a .011" pin gage in one of the holes, it's at the actual angle not an estimation.