Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie with stock l83 Silverado.

Tuner in Training

Newbie with stock l83 Silverado.

Hello. I've just bought the mpvi3 and credits and don't know anything about tuning. My goals are to improve throttle response, and change tcc lockup in 1-4 gears. Only slight mod to the truck is a GM OE 6l90 zl1/ctsv dual clutch torque converter in my 6l80. Also sometimes I get fishbite under light throttle going up slight grades that I believe may be due to lack of power from the engine. I plan to post a log file when I get a chance. I've already had dod turned off and tcc lockup 1-3 turned off by a local tuner. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've been watching goat rope garage and reading a lot of gen v posts here.

Tuning Addict
    There's actually a nice little chunk to gain on the 5.3's. A lot to gain in transmission tuning. If it's got fish bite's then it's either got a clutch shudder problem or misfire so you might want to throw a new set of plugs in it if you don't do anything else. Timing, throttle and some PE changes mainly on the engine side...
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    It's had new plugs about 20k miles ago and the fish bite is somewhat random. Forgive me for lack of knowledge.. what are PE changes?

Tuning Addict
    Power Enrichment.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    Thanks!

You can make the throttle a little more responsive by slightly increasing the values in the driver demand tables. Just don't change anything in the very low pedal positions or it will not want to return to idle when you let off the accelerator. That is basically all those things like a pedal commander does by tricking the computer into thinking you are pushing the pedal more than you are. To much at the lower pedal amounts can also make it harder to drive especially when you need to go slow like in town.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the info! You said slightly.. is there good known numbers to aim for on the table?

You can experiment with it. I wouldn't change anything below 15% pedal. Make small changes not more than adding a couple percent at a time to bring power on faster. I wouldn't worry too much about the 90% up range on an unmodified engine as it's not likely to add much power. I think I changed my 15 L83 by like 5% and made it much more responsive to pedal input.

Tuner in Training
    Awesome. Thank you!

i have issues periodically with fishbite, i noticed yesterday after adding 1* of timing it went away.
    I have tcc lockup in 4,5, &6 gear, unlocked on decel, desired slip at 0. and slightly (maybe 10-15%) raised the tcc pressure.

torque management will make a lot of difference. Personally, my PE tables were too rich for my liking, getting the commanded afr down in the 10's around 4000 rpms. i adjusted it where the richest setting is 12:1, this helped a lot also. i haven't made a big adjustment to the spark tables yet, jus 1* to see how it would like it. ive been told on the l83 to go 1 at a time on timing table, because of the high compression, it will be very easy to get knock.

Tuner in Training
    Cool. Thanks for the information TZTuning

final 2015 maf vs speed dens vs vve.hptfinal 2015 maf vs speed dens vs vve.hpt

this is the current tune i have installed. only mods i have is a magnaflow muffler, K&N air filter and 33" tires.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the tune. I've been doing a lot of comparing my tune vs stock ones and some I've found in the repository. here is my current tune 2016 bobs tune.hpt only changes I asked for when it was done is raise idle to 700 rpm (its about 50rpm too high for me.) turn off TCC lock up in 1-3 gears and have it lock in at 45mph in 4th (plan to change to 50 mph in 4th) , and turned off DOD. Mods are 6l90 ZL1 OE torque converter, K&N drop in filter with end of air box cut out, 33" tires, and Magnaflow muffler with exhaust valve and resonator delete.

youre welcome, i have been doing that as well as going back to my "as found" tune when i started.

Is it ok if I take a look at what you did to your 2015? My tune is stock except for minor changes to the driver demand to not make it so dead pedal feeling and changes in the trans tune.

Tuner in Training
    Jmardlin, sure it's up for anyone that wants a look at it.

I just looked at the PE on mine and it's like wow. There is absolutely no reason a NA engine should be in the 10.8 to 10.9 afr range. Heck you only need mid 12's under load NA to be perfectly safe. Likely as rich as it gets it is costing some power. It looks like they have it tuned for a turbo or supercharger.

Tuning Addict
    Don't be afraid to put some timing in. I typically add in anywhere from 2 degrees - only in select areas - to 8 or 10 degrees for the majority and this is on trucks with large wheels and tires on 87. Knock settings on these are way overly sensitive and I haven't had a single engine failure modifying them. Injection timing will help a little too, but will make the engine show more false knock as injection timing starts getting closer to spark so for safety it'll pull timing via "knock" to keep them further from one another so you have to watch out with that. I personally don't like to add any to the DD on these as that almost always kills economy and you can both gain throttle sensitivity and economy elsewhere. PE can be leaned out to 12.7ish for the best felt gain without being lean.

Again - lots of mods on the trans side - especially for a 6sp

Also if you have a stock converter - wouldn't recommend a 0 slip - almost always causes problems down the road with shuddering plus these transmissions have dampeners built into them and a 0 slip is just that much more abusive. Leave that stock, but raise hold pressure "slightly" and I do mean slightly...
    Last edited by GHuggins; 01-22-2023 at 10:38 PM.

~Greg Huggins~

GHuggins- i didnt know that on the 6l80 mine is a stock replacement. i may have to add a little slip back to it and see how it feels. i just left that part alone since the previous tuner zeroed it out. i did add 10% on the pressure, which made it feel better locking up. thanks for tips on timing and injectors.

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by TZTuning View Post
    GHuggins- i didnt know that on the 6l80 mine is a stock replacement. i may have to add a little slip back to it and see how it feels. i just left that part alone since the previous tuner zeroed it out. i did add 10% on the pressure, which made it feel better locking up. thanks for tips on timing and injectors.
    One of the first things tuner's do is 0 that out - I myself did years ago until I talked to some other transmission calibrators and had one start shuddering not long after tuning it - putting it back and even slightly raising it got rid of the shudder I had caused. If you have an AM converter then you can 0 it out. Stock is made too thin and just causes problems. The dampeners in the transmissions are also the weak link in them - if it goes you'll lose several gears at once. It's also partly the reason why so many people were getting sea sick when these initially came out until they redesigned it a little. The majority of the wear and tear on them happens while cruising at highway speed as they were designed to smooth things out which is where TCC comes into play.

~Greg Huggins~