Thread: Can you VIEW a scan in 3 bar, on a 2 bar OS, if you have a 3 bar MAP sensor?

Advanced Tuner

Question Can you VIEW a scan in 3 bar, on a 2 bar OS, if you have a 3 bar MAP sensor?

I have a 2 bar OS w/flex fuel in my car, a 2000 Trans Am.
    I have had a 3 bar MAP sensor installed and functioning through the previous 2 engine configurations, one a 3 bar OS with turbo, and one, a 1 bar N/A MAF setup. Now with a 2 bar, w/flex, turbo setup.

MAP sensor has always read properly, and since "Tune" only uses whatever OS "MAP" it is configured for, have never had an issue....

I know a 3 bar OS would allow me to TUNE fueling, up to 30psi of boost, but I only target, usually only as high as 15...although during a wastegate malfunction, it has seen as high as 22.5psi.

What I am trying to find out, is if there is a way to SCAN past the hard limit of "2 BAR", since "Manifold Absolute Pressure - 2 Bar" is my only channel option in the channels list?

I know I cannot TUNE a 3 bar capable setup with a 2 bar OS. That's not my question.
    Since I drag race and datalog every pass, I would just like to somehow be able to VIEW what is happening with FUEL and if at all possible, SPARK, if/when the engine goes beyond the 210kpa limit??? which it has done on several occasions.

I know the sensor can read up to 3 bar, and it is calibrated as such, in the current tune.

I am sort of stuck with the current 2 bar OS, as I have a segment swapped P01 to allow a FLEX FUEL sensor, that I do not want to lose, nor do I want to swap ECUs
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2000 Trans AM WS6 6.0, 4L80e, 9"
    2008 Silverado LT 5.3 liter Work Beater

Senior Tuner
    The best way is simply to install a P59 and be done with it. I can't really see any downside to doing so. It'll handle the full three bar limit, and even allow you to tune to three bar as well. They are cheap and plentiful. I've got files that will work great on flex fuel, with the 4L80E, and compatible with DBC and have 3 bar OS options.

If you don't want to do that, I guess you could simply tap into your MAP sensor output and route it to the EGR input on the PCM. That would allow you to directly measure the 3 bar sensor voltage. If you're handy with math, just enter an equation in your scanner that converts that voltage into boost.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    The best way is simply to install a P59 and be done with it. I can't really see any downside to doing so. It'll handle the full three bar limit, and even allow you to tune to three bar as well. They are cheap and plentiful. I've got files that will work great on flex fuel, with the 4L80E, and compatible with DBC and have 3 bar OS options.

If you don't want to do that, I guess you could simply tap into your MAP sensor output and route it to the EGR input on the PCM. That would allow you to directly measure the 3 bar sensor voltage. If you're handy with math, just enter an equation in your scanner that converts that voltage into boost.
    Not all that math handy, so Option #2 is probably out, lol.

I'm still at work, so can't do a whole lot of researching at the moment.
    Any idea if a P59 swap is a plug & play deal, or will I need to do some extensive reading, re-wiring, etc.?
    I'll have to find out what the suggested P59 comes in, and try to acquire one
    2000 Trans AM WS6 6.0, 4L80e, 9"
    2008 Silverado LT 5.3 liter Work Beater

Senior Tuner
    It's nearly a plug and play...from memory, you'll just have to add a couple of wires to power the O2 sensor heater circuits, and change from the red to a green connector.
    I saw your post on LS1Tech too. You might ask there about the wiring...Or pull the schematics.

Tuner in Training

Potential Tuner
    Would you mind sharing one of those p59, 4l80e, DBC, 3 bar flex tunes with me? I'm in the middle of doing a p59 swap, I have a p59 out of an express with the IAC driver. looking for an os that will support the previous criteria. Thanks!

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 99RedRado View Post
    Would you mind sharing one of those p59, 4l80e, DBC, 3 bar flex tunes with me? I'm in the middle of doing a p59 swap, I have a p59 out of an express with the IAC driver. looking for an os that will support the previous criteria. Thanks!
    Here ya go. This one had a mild 5.3L with 4L80E and 6-7 psi boost. It had the 50 lb flex injectors. It's capable of E85 as well, but he just ran the combo on 93 octane.

2004tahoe53Lwith4L80ESegmentand DBC TB and 3 bar OS.hpt