Thread: 5.7 hemi engine swap tune?

Tuner in Training

5.7 hemi engine swap tune?

if i wanted to run a 5.7 hemi from a 2011 ram, 65rfe on a engine dyno. would there be a way to set up the ecu to ignore the security features and transmission?
    similar to what you might do for a engine swap?
    id like to be able to test run a engine without it in the vehicle.
    thanks

Advanced Tuner
    I always wondered how they engine dyno'd these things. Seems like you would need a stand alone controller or two. Ray might have experience
    [email protected]

don tanklage

I have a superflow 902 I use for stand alone testing, I do not test with transmissions attached.

Depending on what the end user’s vehicle is and the year of the vehicle , I several bench mounted ECU’s
    But all engines I build I break in, and that’s done with a MSD Hemi 6 box and a Ritter single plane intake and a Holley 950CFM carb is re-jetted per displacement, for the 03-08 headed engines I have a Ritter intake that the port ends are welded up to match the Head port.

ON the early ECUs it's easier , the later ones you have to make sure SKIM is disabled.

If the ECU has a Manual transmission option, that is selected, I run an On off toggle switch that acts like a clutch pedal.

In Engine General , you have the option for ESP Displacement, set it to 0 .

is the Engine from a 2011 Ram and you want to test it before you put it in a pre G3 hemi equipped vehicle ? like a duster or 70 Charger ?

Are you trying figure out how much HP is being wasted Trying to drive a RFE65 trans.
    Last edited by PurpleRam; 01-26-2023 at 11:26 AM.
    04 GTX........ 8.91@151mph 392Ci G3Hemi NA 3600lbs 2.6HP/CI Naturally Aspirated
    05 GTxtreme 9:45@142mph 426Ci G3Hemi NA 4000lbs
    G3 Hemi Videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClS...5mXdDR5sOxs10Q

Tuner in Training
    so honstely its a spare engine for my truck or 71 roadrunner, and i wanted to break it in on a homemade engine run stand and make sure my rebuild went well...
    i also have a 71 roadrunner i swapped an 5.7 545rfe engine into using the hotwire harness and pcm, so i was wondering if it could duplicate that setup with a spare 2011 ram pcm and harness i have from the doner truck. i thought it would be cool to make a engine test stand for 5.7 hemis using the stock harness i already have... i could even use a spare junk 545rfe to cut the bell housing off and bolt up the starter...
    im about a 3-4 hours drive from you, maybe i should just have you dyno it for me when im done lol

but im a swamp yankee and I'm always trying to do things myself for cheap as heck...
    Last edited by nmineau; 01-27-2023 at 09:56 AM.

It's not hard, , Cleveland Power sells "crate" test engine's, they are basically Engine/Trans with ECU Dash cluster ,Gas pedal,

Your tricking the ECU into thinking it's still in the vehicle.

hit Ebay for a early small block truck Bellhousing , or a NAG1 bell house , to mount the starter to, take your Donor/truck gas pedal and mount it next to your ECU on the stand.

Program wise there's not a lot you have to do.
    04 GTX........ 8.91@151mph 392Ci G3Hemi NA 3600lbs 2.6HP/CI Naturally Aspirated
    05 GTxtreme 9:45@142mph 426Ci G3Hemi NA 4000lbs
    G3 Hemi Videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClS...5mXdDR5sOxs10Q