Thread: Help with Ram OBD2 "Type" definitions?

Help with Ram OBD2 "Type" definitions?

Hi all, I thought I saw somewhere in someone's post that they had a list of the "Type" codes that go along with the OBD2 error codes list. I cant seem to find that post anywhere.

I have also scoured the internet with a just about every combination of search words to no avail.

I.E. P0300 with Type 1. If you look at the "Type" options dropdown within HP Tuners, some of the Types are Disabled~Type 12. Anyone have a definition list on what say a Type 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12 mean?

Thanks in advance,

Banned
    Depends on the engine, has to do with how it treats the MIL and stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    Depends on the engine, has to do with how it treats the MIL and stuff
    I'll take anything I can get my hands on at the moment in reference to what the different "Types" mean.

I specifically have the 3.0L Eco Diesel in a 1500 Truck. But like I said, I'll take any definition list for the "Types"

Banned
    I?m clueless on the eco diesel. I?d have to do some digging through my stuff to find what Cummins has them as.

I?m clueless on the eco diesel. I?d have to do some digging through my stuff to find what Cummins has them as.
    That would be excellent. Sent you a P.M. for clarity on why I am asking. But just in case, HP Tuners is the first one of many tuning suites I have, that has had a "Type" within OBD2 Trouble codes.

Thanks again,

Bueller? Bump

Banned
    My list doesn?t say exactly what each type is, just how Cummins sets each Cummins fault code. Whether it?s yellow lamp, red lamp, no lamp, maintenance code, stop engine I think was in there

Advanced Tuner
    what is MIL vs SES?
    [email protected]

don tanklage

Quote Originally Posted by LilSick View Post
    what is MIL vs SES?
    A malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) is the circuit that is turned on by hardware/software of a vehicle. The Service Engine Soon (SES) is the actual warning being displayed. YMMV

Advanced Tuner
    My mileage is horrible ha. Thanks. Your explanation makes sense but I still do not fully understand. So a MIL comes with a auditable chime?

Quote Originally Posted by LilSick View Post
    My mileage is horrible ha. Thanks. Your explanation makes sense but I still do not fully understand. So a MIL comes with a auditable chime?
    Depends on the make and model. Some do nothing more than illuminate. Some will turn on a Christmas tree. Toyo's come to mind. You could have a VSS issue/code and every dang light on the dash is shining in your face.
    Let me try this. A MIL may be on/illuminated or off. A Service engine soon light means you need to fix/diag something. Different makes models and years since OBD2 started has treated and defined it differently. Used to be called a check engine light. Of course it was later defined as Malfunction/or Service Engine Soon light but it changed as ECM's turned into PCM's. Of course there were more added modules like a FPCM, GPM, FICM's and a host of other modules that could effect emissions that were not directly connected to or part of the engine control module.

Advanced Tuner
    I?m only concerned with the difference in the 2015+ GPEC2A PCM LX DODGE (Challenger etc) diagnostics thanks

My list doesn?t say exactly what each type is, just how Cummins sets each Cummins fault code. Whether it?s yellow lamp, red lamp, no lamp, maintenance code, stop engine I think was in there
    I'll take it, what you got? Is it like "1" does this, "2" does this and so on?

Banned
    This is the info in for least the 2010+ Cummins pickups

Type 1 - Stop (solid lamp)
    Type 2 - Warning (solid lamp)
    Type 3 - Warning (blinking lamp)
    Type 4 - MIL (blinking lamp)
    Type 5 - Stop (solid lamp) and MIL (blinking lamp)
    Type 6 - Warning (solid lamp) and MIL (blinking lamp)
    Type 7 - MIL (blinking lamp) and MIL (solid lamp)