Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving from 1 bar to 3 bar MAP

Moving from 1 bar to 3 bar MAP

Quick question for the forum. I am currently running a 1 bar MAP with MAF tune in my 07 C6Z06 twin turbo. Everything is tuned well with current setup including VVE, timing, PE, etc. Up through 105kpa.
    Thinking of moving to a LS9 3 bar MAP for improved reolution especially for AFR's in the scanner under boost. My question is, if I stay MAF tune but refine the VVE, timing, and PE tables for the boost, areas.can I start the process by coping the 105kpa lines into the new boost areas and work from there? Is that how the 1 bar MAP tune interpolates it now?
    Thanks for your help.

Sure you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.z0611 View Post
    Sure you can.
    Thank you…

Senior Tuner
    you can also calculate GMVE from MAF to fill in the areas above 105kPa..

Honestly its strange how you did things. I'm sure it's fine but having a 2+ bar sensor should have been in there from the start.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

I agree…It’s how Lingenfelter tuned it back in 07. Been learning and improving it since. I added a 2 bar for meth injection and it has an extended fuel controller for fueling under boost which works but it could be better. MAF covers a lot of deficiencies. Puts out 873/853 RWHP/RWTQ even running rich at 10.84 AFR. Learning the tuning as I go and appreciate the feedback and help.

Senior Tuner
    must be lucky that last row on the 105kpa must be fat enough to still fill in the transients for maf when needed

Yep, plus the extended fuel controller and meth make the fueling fat into boost where PE and regular fueling stop. Most of my issue with the tune was actually steady state. Lot of bucking surging. Getting VVE and timing right and starting MAF at 2500RPM helped a lot. Now that I have a taste of what could be I am anxious to tune it better into boost. I don't want to screw it up though since it runs really well up through its 16PSI limit with Boost by Gear. That's why I was asking if I could just begin with the tables set the way it works today which I assume is interpolating forward the 105kpa line. I would do the same with the PE tables and timing although with no Kr through full boost I could probably bring the last line of that table forward and interpolate from the .56 line or something. Total timing at max torque is about 16* to 18* now at the end of the 1 Bar table.

Senior Tuner
    aah yea adding meth controlled separately will change it alot, explains how it was being used on 1 bar setup

OK...my LS9 3 bar and harness came in the mail today. I really only need 2 bar of resolution but bought the LS9 MAP anyway. When I update the operating system should I do the 2 bar or 3 bar? If I do the 2 bar, do I use the linear and offset associated with the 3 bar or should I just install the 3 bar OS?

You can use the 2 bar os. Use the linear and offest of the 3 bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.z0611 View Post
    You can use the 2 bar os. Use the linear and offest of the 3 bar.
    Thank you!

It also looks like I have a Manifold Vacuum boost patch that is disabled...should I enable that as well?

Senior Tuner
    u can enable that patch, the 2 bar OS will only go to 2.5 bar or 22psi anyway

Quote Originally Posted by 07GTS View Post
    u can enable that patch, the 2 bar OS will only go to 2.5 bar or 22psi anyway
    Thanks! I only need 18psi max. Does enabling the patch for manifold vaccum require me to populate injector tables for boost?

Senior Tuner
    if ur using the delta in the IFR table then it will just use the values there as per normal that wernt used before if ur table all has values in it

if ur using the delta in the IFR table then it will just use the values there as per normal that wernt used before if ur table all has values in it
    Got it, thanks again.

Hey guys,
    Before I do the "write entire" to the car can you take a look to verify that I am on the right track with the 2bar update file.

I did not do anything with the Charge Temp Mult and TPS Mult tables but extended the VE table 105kpa row to the last row of the table. I was going to add 20% and interpolate but I am so rich now in boost with MAF, meth and fueling that until I can get some good logs I should be good. Does not look like there is a way to calculate coefficients anymore like you can with VVE. Is it all manual now in smoothing between zones?

I also copied my Hi Octane table to my low octane as I heard the new OS may only use low.(Not sure if that is true or not).
    I took a best guess at my new PE boost tables based on how my meth and fueling are coming in during boost. I can fine tune once I get some logs.

Missing anything? If I screw this up can I go back to my 1 bar by write entire the old file?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ttz06vette; 01-31-2023 at 05:51 PM.

Did you address the axis swap form VVE to VE? Increase your map estimation max. MAF curve is now different you can copy and paste from your old tune to the new one on the close enough cells that almost match. Regrading the main VE yes it's all manual. Moreover, didn't had the chance to confirm which timing table it reference. You can go back whenever you like and write entire. Also, if you go back you can change VVE from 1 bar to 2 or 3 bar.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ttz06vette View Post
    Hey guys,
    Before I do the "write entire" to the car can you take a look to verify that I am on the right track with the 2bar update file.

I did not do anything with the Charge Temp Mult and TPS Mult tables but extended the VE table 105kpa row to the last row of the table. I was going to add 20% and interpolate but I am so rich now in boost with MAF, meth and fueling that until I can get some good logs I should be good. Does not look like there is a way to calculate coefficients anymore like you can with VVE. Is it all manual now in smoothing between zones?

I also copied my Hi Octane table to my low octane as I heard the new OS may only use low.(Not sure if that is true or not).
    I took a best guess at my new PE boost tables based on how my meth and fueling are coming in during boost. I can fine tune once I get some logs.

Missing anything? If I screw this up can I go back to my 1 bar by write entire the old file?
    there are no zones with the proper VE is all airflow and if u change one cell then that is all that changes it dosnt matter about the surrounding cells with proper VE which is why i also like it, i think they have a adjustment now where u can inverse the table so its the same axis as the vve which can help copying over data, havnt looked at your tune but dont add in too much more as u are using the last 105kpa row from then on so it may not need much at all to be where ur at just u will have further control now

there are no zones with the proper VE is all airflow and if u change one cell then that is all that changes it dosnt matter about the surrounding cells with proper VE which is why i also like it, i think they have a adjustment now where u can inverse the table so its the same axis as the vve which can help copying over data, havnt looked at your tune but dont add in too much more as u are using the last 105kpa row from then on so it may not need much at all to be where ur at just u will have further control now
    Just tested it out works great. View inverted sure made it a lot easier and faster. Thanks for pointing it out.