Thread: speed odometer correction

speed odometer correction

Hey guys so I switched my tires from BFG Sport Comp 305/35/20 to Goodyear Eagle F1 Super Car 3 305/30/20 and I couldn't find the tire circumference online anywhere so I took the measurement using a cloth tape measure and then inputted it into the speed odometer / tire size tab but my speed odometer is off by 4 mph. What do you guys reccomend that I do? Thanks

Joseph

Senior Tuner
    There is a fudge factor in the original OEM tire size.. I don't know why.. it is what it is.

So if you put a "real" number for tire size the speedo will be off.

At this point do this.

GPS Speed on flat level straight road / indicated speed * tire size in hptuners.

The faster you are when you take the measurement the better it will be.. so do it at 70mph if you can.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Senior Tuner
    You can always just tweak it by the percentage it is off. If that 4mph at 60mph, add or subtract 15% to the circumference.

Senior Tuner
    https://tiresize.com/comparison/
    Do the math with the revs per mile and multiply or divide the rev per mile in the stock calibration depending on if it is a bigger or smaller diameter tire. Smaller diameter = more revs bigger = less revs.
    Last edited by 2xLS1; 01-27-2023 at 09:02 AM.

That's really weird because with the tire size calculator that 2xLS1 posted, that is exactly the size I put in and it still reads 4 mph more than what I'm really doing. But how accurate are the gps in our phones, I thought that I had read their pretty much dead on but not 100% positive. Maybe I should just play around with it until I get it right. What do you guys think? I wouldn't have thought that going from a 35 series to a 30 series wouldn't be that big of a difference but it is because the finder gap now is huge and now I scrap the driveway every time I come or go.

Senior Tuner
    Like was said you don’t put in the actual size a calculator says. You adjust by the percent difference between the two sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
    That's really weird because with the tire size calculator that 2xLS1 posted, that is exactly the size I put in and it still reads 4 mph more than what I'm really doing. But how accurate are the gps in our phones, I thought that I had read their pretty much dead on but not 100% positive. Maybe I should just play around with it until I get it right. What do you guys think? I wouldn't have thought that going from a 35 series to a 30 series wouldn't be that big of a difference but it is because the finder gap now is huge and now I scrap the driveway every time I come or go.
    The phones are very accurate. Just do a small size change of about a half an inch one way or the other. If it shows you are going faster than you actually are GPS lower than speedo just increase tire size a little. If GPS shows you are going faster than the speedo, reduce tire size. I like to do about 75 for accuracy sake.

Senior Tuner
    On gen 4s if you use the wizard many times you will end up with a abs inop light or brake light on so I always adjust every revs per mile field then manually scale the shift and lock up tables by the inverse if an auto transmission. On gen 3 cals like a P01 or P59 just subtract .8 from what the T/S calculator says and use the wizard.

Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    Like was said you don’t put in the actual size a calculator says. You adjust by the percent difference between the two sizes.
    oh ok I get it now. Thanks. And thanks Alvin and Gtstorey

Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    The phones are very accurate. Just do a small size change of about a half an inch one way or the other. If it shows you are going faster than you actually are GPS lower than speedo just increase tire size a little. If GPS shows you are going faster than the speedo, reduce tire size. I like to do about 75 for accuracy sake.
    Thank you to sir

what do I do for the distance - trans? under sensor calibration, tire revs per, dist - trans 5006
    Last edited by morepowerjoe; 01-28-2023 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    On gen 4s if you use the wizard many times you will end up with a abs inop light or brake light on so I always adjust every revs per mile field then manually scale the shift and lock up tables by the inverse if an auto transmission. On gen 3 cals like a P01 or P59 just subtract .8 from what the T/S calculator says and use the wizard.
    Did not know that. Do you know why? Never ran into this although I usually get it right on the first or second shot. Maybe some form of counter on a chip that says f**kit after so many adjustments?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    Well I got it within 2 mph under the actual speed. So you say to increase the tire circumference by a half inch or so higher but do I need to adjust the tire revs per too or not? And one more question when I write the tune to the ecm do I need to write the transmission for it to work or just the engine or both? Thanks

If you are within 2 mph at 70 you are good. I as a habit program both. When you use the tire/gear wizard it does all the math for you so you don't have to.

Ok thank you for your help.