Thread: Help Please!!!!

Potential Tuner

Help Please!!!!

I have a 2005 GMC Sierra that I swapped the original 5.3 for a 6.0. I also had a Brian Tooley Truck Norris cam installed with Speed Engineering long tube headers and Y-pipe, I am having the problem with the truck idling. It will not stay crank parked or when I come to a stop. I am a newbie, as this is my first attempt at tuning. I value and appreciate any advice please help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Who set the idle speed to zero for park/neutral?

You need to change the cylinder volume for the 6.0. Copy over a 6.0 VE table. Add some base running airflow because of the camshaft.

That should get it to run better. Lots of other changes to timing and things like that will be needed.

Will want larger fuel injectors too, a 6.0 with a camshaft will max the stock injectors at full throttle.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Thank You

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Who set the idle speed to zero for park/neutral?

You need to change the cylinder volume for the 6.0. Copy over a 6.0 VE table. Add some base running airflow because of the camshaft.

That should get it to run better. Lots of other changes to timing and things like that will be needed.

Will want larger fuel injectors too, a 6.0 with a camshaft will max the stock injectors at full throttle.
    GM set the idle speed to 0 on manual transmission stuff. I personally segment swap a matching year/operating system 6.0L stock engine and engine diagnostic segment into engine swaps. Much of the code and many tables that cannot be viewed with HP Tuners are different between the various LS engines. The vehicle will run better if you start with the correct calibration for the engine to start with.

I am well aware of that. His tune file shows it's running an automatic still.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    This is the tune that I have now, and I'm still having the same problem with the truck shutting off when I put it in gear. Help please!Ghost (running).hpt

What injectors did you install?

The only thing changed in that tune file is the injector flow rate, so you are missing the rest of the injector data.

Cylinder volume needs to be .74954 I believe for a 6.0.

Lower the idle spark advance to around 20 degrees. Decrease the over/underspeed spark correction tables to roughly +/- 8 degrees.

Return the MAF curve to stock to start over.

Potential Tuner
    Still the stock injectors

Put the flow rate back to stock then, you change it to injectors that are 40 something lb/hr.

Stock injectors are 25lb/hr.

Potential Tuner
    Ghost stock idle adjust.hptIdle.hpl

Here is the stock tune with idle adjustment. Shuts off on decline of rev.

If I could view the data logs I'd maybe be able to help more, I'm using an older version of the software and it doesn't let me.

I don't see any glaring problems with the tune itself so the data log is the key to figuring it out. Look at fuel trims and what some of the sensors are saying and check for codes.

MAP should read roughly 100kpa key on engine off. Fuel pressure should be roughly 55-58psi. Fuel trims should be around zero give or take +/-5, if they are super negative or super positive that would be a problem.

Senior Tuner
    There are several changes that need to be made for that cam. The VE table is still stock and needs to be dialed in. For now, go to table 3003 under the Airflow tab (High RPM disable) and drop it to 200 rpm.
    The big problem is the Base Running Airflow table is still stock. Based on your MAF reading at Idle, it will need to be nearly doubled. There are a lot of other changes required, but these two changes will get it to idle.

Advanced Tuner
    ....and nothing since