Thread: something seems off? looking for a second opinion

Potential Tuner

something seems off? looking for a second opinion

hey, got my trucked tuned and after dealing with a few small issues i got Hp tuners for my self
    looking at the tune i think i maybe got rooked?yukon.01.28.23.hpt

looks like all the timing adjustments where done in the low oct table? and i dont see any real fuel adjustments

granted I am a newb with this program and know just enough to be dangerous but doing a file compare to a stock tune Im not seeing much difference.
    using a 07 escalade stock file to compare

my truck is a 07 yukon Denali
    Basics of build
    alumi 6.2
    4.075 bore
    9.5/75:1 compression
    218/227 .600 cam
    stock heads
    stock injectors
    1 7/8 headers no cats, stock muffler

Stock file from the repository, same engine & OS
    2007 Yukon 1500 1GKFK63817J314905 6.2 A6 1376673403.hpt

Main things I see that were missed/skipped is Cylinder Volume was not updated, and VVE is completely untouched which might maybe be kinda sorta OK sometimes if it was a MAF-only tune like most of the quickie guys do, but it's not. Still MAF/VVE blended like stock so it's definitely using that VVE for more than just transients.

Potential Tuner
    could this lead into some idle/ starting issues? and feeling like this thing has no balls? im guessing having a bigger cam in it is going to throw those tables out to lunch?

Tuning Addict
    A lot of your idle issues are in some of the changes made in the idle section. Power is most likely the timing and PE settings. Then of course all of the air models and what not being off. You could probably start over from stock and do better.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Potential Tuner
    woof :S

found a 376/480 tune file from a GM crate motor on the repository. wonder if that would be a closer starting point as its already got a hot cam accounted for vs fresh zero ?

Not really recommended. There is a lot of stuff in an ECM that you can't see in the editor's settings, and the GMPP/CPP stuff all uses E67 ECMs. The parts you can see that look like they'd work may not work with the other parts of the calibration you can't see (or change in HP Tuners).

And it's definitely a no-no to flash a file you found somewhere to your ECM, though you couldn't in this case because of E38 vs E67.

Potential Tuner
    noted. thank you
    going to give from scratch a go. thought it may be worth using something like that as a reference

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZCrew View Post
    noted. thank you
    going to give from scratch a go. thought it may be worth using something like that as a reference
    Let me know if you need help dialing it in. I can get it fixed up for you.

Potential Tuner
    If you got some pointers id gladly take the advice. I know enough to be dangerous. Haha

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZCrew View Post
    If you got some pointers id gladly take the advice. I know enough to be dangerous. Haha
    Save your current tune AS FOUND and keep a couple copies on different drives or a USB.
    I had the same issue when I started out. Had a pro tune and was curious what was done. Turns out he only adjusted MAF and never touched the VVE or timing.

I've since learned a ton and many of the guys here are great help.