Thread: Replacing OE Torque Converter with Circle D Billet Converter

Potential Tuner

Replacing OE Torque Converter with Circle D Billet Converter

New to programing - guidance would be appreciated. I did see an earlier post but the conclusions were not finalized.

I am replacing my OE Torque converter with a Circle D converter with a stall speed of 1800-2000 rpm. It is my understanding that this is very close to the OE stall speed. Circle D advertises this converter to be a replacement but recommends a tune, but when I called them they said it was not necessary. Hearing conflicting responses. I assume the website recommends a tune to mitigate liability.

Current situation and application.

2014 Silverado
    6.2L L87
    75,000 miles - truck is running great. Stock tune no mods
    Concerned about durability since I am starting to pull a 24' trailer to distant locations.

Circle D torque converter - Pro Series - Billet cover with triple disc 1800-2000 stall speed.

What would this group recommend?
    Delete DOD?
    Reduce Slip and if so which gears?
    Eliminate lock up in gears?

Does anyone sell an HP Tuner standard program for this replacement?

Thanks - diving into this project and looking for guidance.

Tuner
    Is this a 6L80E transmission ???????

Senior Tuner
    I would make sure the converter is tight like the factory since you will be towing.

If it is close to OE on the stall speed I'll be it can get by with factory programming.

It might not be a bad idea to limit the amount of torque converter slip the factory programming allows for. Specifically on the highway. Everything else is optional.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Potential Tuner
    Yes it is the 6L80E - thanks

Potential Tuner
    Thanks Alvin, I see PCMofnc does remote programming. I will install and if I need any adjustments to improve drive ability I will contact you. thanks again.

Tuner
    You will just want to change the slip of the TCC in- 4-6 gears and turn off TCC altogether in 1-3 gears.. Your stall is only 200 over stock.. So that won't affect anything . I run an 1800 in my 14 yukon denali 6.2

the tuning school has a booklet on the 6l80/90 and a specific section on how to tune the circle D tripple disk. buy the booklet and follow the pids, plus you get 1 year over the phone help..
    i would rather know how to do it myself then order a remote tune from an online tuner..