Thread: Removing an 8L90E and replace it with a TCI trans, possible?

Tuner in Training

Removing an 8L90E and replace it with a TCI trans, possible?

Hey all, I have a 1972 Chevy Nova and I put a GM connect and cruise LT4 with an 8L90 trans in it. I have had nothing but issues with this trans as it just wont shift correctly and now the trans is making noise. Does anyone know is it possible to remove the 8L90 and replace it with a non computerized TCI turbo 400? I assume there would be a bunch of items I'd have to turn off or delete with the trans setup in the ECM but in searching the internet I couldn't find much info on what I'd like to do. Has anyone successfully done this?

Here is a link to my latest post on my problem:
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...0-trans-issues

Thanks
    Jim

I gave you some links on your other post. Although you didn't mention it was a "Connect and Cruise". Those things have special programming. Tried doing one about 2 or 3 years ago and no matter what change I made it did not modify the stock OS tune. Made me think that something was modified to lock the factory tune in them. If you are going with a TH400 then I would do a complete conversion to an E38 2009 Corvette with a manual trans OS. Anything else is going to be a headache.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    I gave you some links on your other post. Although you didn't mention it was a "Connect and Cruise". Those things have special programming. Tried doing one about 2 or 3 years ago and no matter what change I made it did not modify the stock OS tune. Made me think that something was modified to lock the factory tune in them. If you are going with a TH400 then I would do a complete conversion to an E38 2009 Corvette with a manual trans OS. Anything else is going to be a headache.
    Thanks. I am able to tune the ECM with no issues, it's just the TCM/Trans where the issue is. I have not tried the fast learn procedure yet, but I can give that a go.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jims72nova View Post
    Thanks. I am able to tune the ECM with no issues, it's just the TCM/Trans where the issue is. I have not tried the fast learn procedure yet, but I can give that a go.

Jim
    What I am saying is you will have many issues if you try and tune this with a TH400 non electric.

Don’t do a TCI trans

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C