Thread: LB7 ECU e-fan control?

Tuner

LB7 ECU e-fan control?

I am in the process of installing electric fans on a 2002 Silverado 2500HD with an LB7 duramax.

I reached out to HPTuners tech support as I was wondering if there is an option hidden in the ECU to control an e-fan using unused pins on the ECU. I remember doing this on a 2004 1500 silverado with a 5.3 where tech provided a "beta" that had the appropriate tables opened to adjust. Unfortunately, tech support wasn't helpful in this area as they just kept responding with "we don't get into best practices, ask on the forum".

So, I'll ask here.

It may or may not be possible, but what I'm envisioning is being able to add pins to an unused port on the LB7's ECU, open up a table to trigger to ground at "XXX" temp and control the fans using the ECU. This would be preferable to having to use a stand alone temp switch (which I have, but before I go cutting heater hoses and wiring a switch, I prefer to ask the question).

Any insight? As I said, I've done this multiple times on the gas trucks that came with mechanical fans, even long before the table was standard in the production HPTuner sweet. I just don't know if the LB7's ECU has the ability to do this, or how I would approach it (I've never gotten into combining bin files and such).
    2004 C5 Coupe - MM6

Advanced Tuner
    Ambitious and cool idea, but without a schematic for the ECM, we don't know if there's any unused outputs available for an electric fan. And, if even if there were unused outputs, there's no software support inside the ECU to control them.

This only worked on the gas truck because GM used a common PCM on vehicles that were equipped with either mechanical or electric fans, and they used a common software code base for these. LB7 ECU is Bosch hardware and software, and as far as I know, there was no electric fan application using this ECU, hence there's unlikely any software support in it.