Thread: Which cable do I need to tune a 2004 Avalanche?

Tuner in Training

Which cable do I need to tune a 2004 Avalanche?

Do I need the MPVI3 cable?

Or will the MPVI1 DB-15 cable work as well??

Senior Tuner
    If you are buying new the MPVI3 is the only one available.

Tuner in Training
    Is that because the older ones are no longer being sold new?

Are the MPVI modules registered to specific accounts? Or can I try finding an older used one on eBay??

Tuner in Training
    Also, do I need any additional cable to tune a 2004 Avalanche?

Correct, the MPVI and MPVI2 are no longer being sold. The MPVI3 is the only option if you want a new product.

Buying used is an option but beware of who you buy it from so you don't get scammed. You'll need as much information about the used unit as possible to make transferring the device into your name/email a simple process. Best to email the sales people or support to get exact information.

No additional cables are needed for a vehicle that old.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Senior Tuner
    [QUOTE=_Bowser_;715674]Is that because the older ones are no longer being sold new?
    The original MPVI units are long gone. You might find a used one, but I'd be leery to buy one from someone that I didn't know.

The MPVI2 has not been available for quite a while either.

The MPVI3 is the only one that is currently available. That's all you'll need to tune yours.

Tuner in Training
    Okay thanks for these insights.

So, will the first MPVI work with these older NBS trucks too?

Senior Tuner
    Yes. The MPVI will work. So will the MPVI2. The MPVI2+ will also work. Just bear in mind that since none of those are currently available, there's less support available. The original MPVI will work fine on yours, but if you decide to tune a 2019-up truck, you'll have problems.

Tuner in Training
    Ok gotcha, ya if I end up tuning a newer truck, I could justify buying a new MPVI3, but I mainly want to swap in electric fans from the facelift NBS trucks into my older ones that came with clutch fans, so don't need the all that firepower just yet.

Tuner in Training
    Is there a way to verify the serial number on a used unit before purchasing to assure that it has been deleted from the previous account, and is ready to register on a new one?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by _Bowser_ View Post
    Is there a way to verify the serial number on a used unit before purchasing to assure that it has been deleted from the previous account, and is ready to register on a new one?
    Yes. Contact [email protected]