Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cannot get rid of TMA occurring when going from cruising to WOT

Tuning Addict
    I was wondering if it had gotten too rich or something killing the power. May have the same problem with the VVE. I still think it's a fueling/torque calc error caused by so many things being skewed, but it may be something simple I've just overlooked.

That E tune is factory - from the OE to work with a sensor. It's just to go by - not necessarily to copy. I didn't post any of my E tables. I also took down the others cause they had some dialed in inj timing and trans shifting stuff. Torque model has to be right for the trans stuff to work though.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Weird thing is it only happens when downshifting under power. Taking off from a dig it runs perfect so hoping the last log shows improvement that is if it saved before the laptop died

I appear to be going in circles at this point. I do think you are right GHuggins, something is off thus skewing my torque tables. Any change I am making to the TQ tables are effecting my throttle or adding TMA. So after this 1/2 tank of E is gone, I am going to retune starting from the bottom, already got a new tune with a stock VVE table ready to go. All the suggestions have improved the process and are keeping things safer so I am very grateful for your input! I'll update once it gets resolved in the event anyone else is having the same issue and maybe this post can help them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by lynmup View Post
    I appear to be going in circles at this point. I do think you are right GHuggins, something is off thus skewing my torque tables. Any change I am making to the TQ tables are effecting my throttle or adding TMA. So after this 1/2 tank of E is gone, I am going to retune starting from the bottom, already got a new tune with a stock VVE table ready to go. All the suggestions have improved the process and are keeping things safer so I am very grateful for your input! I'll update once it gets resolved in the event anyone else is having the same issue and maybe this post can help them.

You are requesting like a half second long downshift. Which is huge.. Try something between .15-.2x ish

Capture.PNG
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    You are requesting like a half second long downshift. Which is huge.. Try something between .15-.2x ish

Capture.PNG
    I'm gonna give it a shot after work and see how much of a difference this causes. I pray that this fix is that simple. If so, then nothing was lost as I did gain some good info and further understanding from your suggestions.

I compared to my friends Sierra that I mentioned above and my downshift times were significantly higher. Is it possible that is why I am seeing the TMA because the shift isn't happening and the ECM is pulling timing until it does?
    Last edited by lynmup; 02-02-2023 at 01:11 PM.

Tuning Addict
    Did you try the trans corrections in that tune I posted? That had that addressed as one of the possibles.... Only it was taken care of else where in the trans cal...

Also keep in mind the torque model directly controls this - how quick it downshifts via the MAP side of the model - lower = quicker shifts....
    Last edited by GHuggins; 02-02-2023 at 02:45 PM.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Yes, already updated the tune I have not installed it yet, I'm done with work in an hour and a half and I will get on it

Tuning Addict
    The trans cal in that tune I posted should have it downshifting super quick while still driving OEish when you need it to. You have to copy over the entire trans sections changes and again - your torque model has to be right for it to work - you can copy one out of a 16's 5.3 silverado - that will have the model close enough to work right and have the right hold pressures and everything.

~Greg Huggins~

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    The trans cal in that tune I posted should have it downshifting super quick while still driving OEish when you need it to. You have to copy over the entire trans sections changes and again - your torque model has to be right for it to work - you can copy one out of a 16's 5.3 silverado - that will have the model close enough to work right and have the right hold pressures and everything.
    Which tune did you add changes to the trans in? Didn't even look in the TCM portion.

edit...I see it in the first tune you posted, luckily I downloaded prior to you removing them. I already updated the shift, timing downshift, should I copy them exactly as you have them? There was quite a few changes so making sure I get it right so we can end this dilemma.

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    ...your torque model has to be right for it to work - you can copy one out of a 16's 5.3 silverado - that will have the model close enough to work right and have the right hold pressures and everything.
    By torque model, do you mean copy over a stock Virtual TQ table from a 16's 5.3 Silverado/Sierra? I have made so many changes to mine not sure where it is at currently.
    Last edited by lynmup; 02-02-2023 at 03:46 PM.

Senior Tuner
    If your desired shift time is .5 seconds.. that's what its going to try to do. Torque model isn't your issue IMHO.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    If your desired shift time is .5 seconds.. that's what its going to try to do. Torque model isn't your issue IMHO.
    I honestly didn't even know GHuggins updated the first tune with new TCM parameters. Makes a whole lotta sense to me now. And think...I paid someone to do this for me.

Advanced Tuner
    Neutral Down Skip
    - disable to eliminate torque management on downshift skip shifts via neutral

Sync Down Skip
    - disable to eliminate torque management on downshift skip shifts at sync (not sure what these are but generally this isn't enabled anyway).

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by lynmup View Post
    Which tune did you add changes to the trans in? Didn't even look in the TCM portion.

edit...I see it in the first tune you posted, luckily I downloaded prior to you removing them. I already updated the shift, timing downshift, should I copy them exactly as you have them? There was quite a few changes so making sure I get it right so we can end this dilemma.

By torque model, do you mean copy over a stock Virtual TQ table from a 16's 5.3 Silverado/Sierra? I have made so many changes to mine not sure where it is at currently.
    Yes. Copy the torque model out of a 16's 5.3. AND copy all of the changes I made to the trans as they all work together.

Contrary to belief the torque model does directly control all of this. If it's not right the trans won't shift right. You can rework the trans to work around some of it, but....

I didn't make those changes mentioned above by zincGT, so you can try them too. I don't ever mess with those as I usually get the transmissions to do what I want elsewhere - in fact you don't even have to change the shift times for the downshifts as the other settings in the trans directly relate to power mods and how "quick" it needs to do things.

For those interested - airmass side of the torque model controls pressures and most importantly the engine operation on the Gen5's. Map side controls how quick it shifts and at what throttle percentages.
    Last edited by GHuggins; 02-02-2023 at 06:34 PM.

~Greg Huggins~

Thanks to you all... This is some good stuff... I'll just copy my virtual TQ from my stock tune.

So far, noticed a big improvement in the downshift tune

Just finished a few logs with the new updates and wow.. this thing is a whole other vehicle. Six gear, I hit the gas and it goes to second instantly. I did put my virtual TQ table in to compare and it drove the same however the torque was much higher since my numbers were bumped up. Is there any harm in leaving it higher or does that hurt it? I compared times on the log and it looks like it shifting the same, doesn't feel any difference in performance just the numbers are larger. Also need to get rid of that lean condition when I let off the throttle, the stock file does it even when I rev the engine.

Even when I put the VVE table you provided still does the same thing. Any changes it would fix that as well?
    Last edited by lynmup; 03-23-2023 at 11:42 PM.

Slight Rev and goes lean therefore shifting feel weird.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here's the log I just did. This seems to be the last issue and she'll be perfect, just not sure how to fix this. Between shifts and anytime I let off the throttle.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Just had to come in and say one more time, you guys all rock.. this beast rips when I downshift now, it's like driving a whole nother vehicle... Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Tuning Addict
    Just watch out changing shift times now - like I said - all of that was addressed elsewhere in the trans tune I gave you. Please don't share that one either.

After adjusting your E multipliers and E mbt timing table, I would put it back on gas and then re-visit your MAF and VVE calibrations. Everything will effect this from inj timing to rail pressure and even torque model and O2 settings.

Sounds like you've got it headed back in the right direction now.

~Greg Huggins~

Changes all worked as provided. Already got a VVE tune set up and ready with the VVE table you provided as well as the stock Virtual TQ tables when I get rid of this tank of E.