Thread: Having trouble tuning VE LTFT

Tuner in Training

Having trouble tuning VE LTFT

I have a 2001 Trans Am with a 408 stroker, 625 lift / 238 dur cam, LSXR intake, 102mm TB, 100mm MAF.

I just installed NX direct port and decided to change to a colder plug before tuning for nitrous.

The motor was installed about 2 years ago. Hawks Performance did the original tune and I have driven it all this time with no issues. So with motor running fine I changed the plugs and the intake. The intake is the same model but purchased from from Nitrous Express with the direct port pre-plumbed.

After the install the tune immediately felt different. Engine struggled to idle and acceleration was not nearly as smooth. I checked vacuum and then just chalked it up to the plugs being a different heat range and decided to re-tune.

On the first scan I noticed that LTFT's were staying at zero. LTFT's had been disabled. I'm assuming they just tuned the MAF. I enabled the LTFT's and began to tune the VE.

The first few paste special % were around +/- 8 or 9 and then dropped to under 3 or 4 but as the cruising and light acceleration area improved, other areas got worse, like 12-18. And as one area got better the other got worse. I kept making adjustments but after 21 times I am basically in the same area I started.

I feel like I am missing something and was wondering if someone can look at my tunes and scans. The ones attached are about midway through.
    2001 Trans Am
    Stock LS1 Bottom End
    LS6 Intake
    Edelbrock Heads Ported By Lingenfelter
    Comp Cams 230 234 Duration, .600 .601 Lift
    Comp Cams Ultra Gold Rockers
    B&M 3000 Stall
    LT Headers
    Magnaflow Exaust
    Racetronix Fuel Pump

Advanced Tuner
    did you try and put the original plugs back in just to see if it was that or the intake change

Tuner in Training
    Yeah if it's not something I missed in the tune or scan then I am going to do that.
    2001 Trans Am
    Stock LS1 Bottom End
    LS6 Intake
    B&M 3000 Stall
    LT Headers
    Magnaflow Exaust
    Racetronix Fuel Pump

I personally wouldn't even use the LTFT with a setup like that. Wideband only and hand smooth the table where I feel/see it's needed. Use STFT for the instant changes.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    I personally wouldn't even use the LTFT with a setup like that. Wideband only and hand smooth the table where I feel/see it's needed. Use STFT for the instant changes.
    Yeah I put the original tune back in, raised the idle airflow, disabled the LTFT's and adjusted the AFR error and its coming around.
    2001 Trans Am
    Stock LS1 Bottom End
    LS6 Intake
    B&M 3000 Stall
    LT Headers
    Magnaflow Exaust
    Racetronix Fuel Pump

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    I completely agree. This cam is in the category where your going to get bad results trying to use the stock o2's/fuel trims.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs