Thread: Btr 220 cam specs

Tuner in Training

Btr 220 cam specs

Has anyone measured a BTR 220 cam for a GEN 5? The cam is already installed in a 2015 Silverado LTZ with the 6.2L. I would rather not have to pull the top of the engine off just to get the measurements. At the time of the install I was more worried about getting my daily back on the road so i could make it back to work.

Tuner in Training
    Ok. I understand that this information is not freely given because this is how the cam companies make their money. So i'll ask a different way. I have a 2015 Silverado with a AFE CIA, BTR 220 cam with 32% lobe, stainless works LT's, LT4 HPFP and Injectors. I keep getting a cam over advanced dtc. The cam card states to install dot to dot, which i did. The stock tune shows the base advance being at 2deg. Should I keep this the same or how much can I adjust this table w/o getting into piston to valve clearance issues.

For the fuel side of it, the trucks and LT4 vettes and camaros have different SOI timing. Which one do i need to go with?

2-8-23 MY TRUCK TRANS-MAF FINAL.10.hpt

Senior Tuner
    All the measurements for that cam are on BTR web site except the last digit of the exhaust lobe duration at .050. (220/23x .644/.644 113 LSA) I don't know how you are going to measure that with the cam out of the engine without a cam doctor machine. You could measure it with a degree wheel and a dial indicator with the cam installed in the engine but it is going to be 230-239. I don't know how knowing that is going to matter. It does say the pistons need to be fly cut in a 5.3L but doesn't say if it's required in a 6.2L and to utilize VVT control.

Tuner in Training
    I would contact Brian at BTR he designed the cam and he can sure help you with the tune/setup.

BTR GEN V 220 CAMSHAFT WITH VVT LIMITER (briantooleyracing.com)
    If your scroll down there is a table provided by BTR with vvt control with degree value and RPM.

Tuner in Training
    Wallaceracing.com has very helpful calculators. I was able to identify that the cam has anywhere from -1 to 3.5 degrees of overlap. But to figure out my opening/closing angles, i would need to know the intake centerline. I've followed the cam card exactly in regards to installing dot to dot and the vvt table on the back. I'm slowly building my tool collection and a cam wheel is on order.
    wallace racing-1.png

I see countless videos on tuning the MAF, VVE, and VT for cams, but hardly nothing on SOI or the tables in Engine>Airflow>Variable Camshaft tab. Do these tables stay stock even when cams are installed? How much room do i have to play with before I start running into clearance issues? I dont want to waste a dyno day tuning the truck, just to have it not produce results because of one parameter being off. Or I blow my engine because i changed something 1% too far.

Tuner in Training
    I would follow VVT Table provided by BTR cam card and zero out cam advance below 4k.

I'm old enough to remember the old days, where you had to study cam cards to figure out if a cam was right for a particular application. But now all you have to do is pick one based on whether it has a sexy name created by the marketing department, and/or if it's the hot new thing currently being promoted by your favorite Youtube celebrity. Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    I'm old enough to remember the old days, where you had to study cam cards to figure out if a cam was right for a particular application. But now all you have to do is pick one based on whether it has a sexy name created by the marketing department, and/or if it's the hot new thing currently being promoted by your favorite Youtube celebrity. Progress!
    Then you have us, BTR, which actually put in the work designing our own lobes, testing them in both a Spintron and engine dyno to verify results. New fancy names do work for marketing, but it also helps when they actually perform!
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Quote Originally Posted by Drif10s10 View Post
    Has anyone measured a BTR 220 cam for a GEN 5? The cam is already installed in a 2015 Silverado LTZ with the 6.2L. I would rather not have to pull the top of the engine off just to get the measurements. At the time of the install I was more worried about getting my daily back on the road so i could make it back to work.
    You're getting this code because you haven't set the VVT table up. The entire commanded VVT tables need to be zero'd out and apply the cam card values of retard vs RPM to the table in the tune. This also depends on which limiter you installed with the camshaft. The 220 is designed around a 4deg limiter so any values in the tune greater than 4deg will throw a code due to the phaser not retarding the amount commanded. If you installed a lockout you'll have to leave the VVT tables zero'd out or you could disable VVT with the switch. However be advised that cam is not designed to be locked out.
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Tuner in Training
    I've set all of the tables to the recommended degrees, even the exhaust just for peace of mind. The WOT table was zeroed out. I just changed this and will test it this afternoon.

I got this cam because of the torque curve. My truck is a daily and I'll hook up to any trailer as long as I'm not riding on the axles. Lots of companies won't show dyno sheets like BTR. The only complaint about the cam is the fact that I don't like the oink oink idle. I've been working for weeks on it and have it currently idling around 750-800, which breaks up that pulsating sound.

My s10 has a 355 with a 254/254 solid roller cam and 950 cfm carb. Having to tune that thing requires me to have to carry a wagon around with all of the springs, jets, and tools. It is nice only having to grab the laptop and press a couple of buttons to see changes made.

Advanced Tuner
    I'm not a fan of the "secret sauce" cams. I'd like to know what I'm tuning.

Senior Tuner
    If fixing the cam VVT tables like James indicated doesn't fix the issue, then Datalog the Intake Cam Error degrees. If it shows something around 8.2 degrees advanced, then you missed it by 1 tooth.

Tuner in Training
    The highest error I've seen is 2 degrees at 5800rpm. The cam card shows advancing 2 degrees at 5600, 3 at 5800 and 4 at 6,000. All of my tables jumped from 5600 to 6000. Since my tables was maxed out at 8400 and my limiter is set to 7000, i shifted the cells from 6000 to 8000 up and added 5800 to the cell that was originally 6000.

If I have a 4 degree phaser, does that mean i only have 4 degrees of advance or only of retard, or does it sit in the middle and allow 2 degrees of each? I've read that GM parks the cam at full advance and retards the cam angle with vvt.

2-13-23 blew driveshaft.hpl

Senior Tuner
    The highest error I've seen is 2 degrees at 5800rpm. The cam card shows advancing 2 degrees at 5600, 3 at 5800 and 4 at 6,000. All of my tables jumped from 5600 to 6000. Since my tables was maxed out at 8400 and my limiter is set to 7000, i shifted the cells from 6000 to 8000 up and added 5800 to the cell that was originally 6000.

If I have a 4 degree phaser, does that mean i only have 4 degrees of advance or only of retard, or does it sit in the middle and allow 2 degrees of each? I've read that GM parks the cam at full advance and retards the cam angle with vvt.

GM parks the cam in the full advance position. You'll have 4 degrees of retard available.

Tuner in Training
    Just heard back from BTR, the LSA is 113+8. So I need to set my base advance to 8 degrees correct?

Senior Tuner
    Just heard back from BTR, the LSA is 113+8. So I need to set my base advance to 8 degrees correct?
    No. You'll set the base cam position to 0 degrees...just like their cam card indicates.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LSxpwrdZ View Post
    You're getting this code because you haven't set the VVT table up. The entire commanded VVT tables need to be zero'd out and apply the cam card values of retard vs RPM to the table in the tune. This also depends on which limiter you installed with the camshaft. The 220 is designed around a 4deg limiter so any values in the tune greater than 4deg will throw a code due to the phaser not retarding the amount commanded. If you installed a lockout you'll have to leave the VVT tables zero'd out or you could disable VVT with the switch. However be advised that cam is not designed to be locked out.
    This is the answer right here..

If the error isnt' too bad there doesn't seem to be anything bad about disabling that code
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    I averaged no more than 2 degrees. There was two instances where I feel like I got false readings, both occurred around 5200rpm, the first is at 6.03 of the log (16 deg) and the second is at 6.08 (51 deg). Is this signs of my cam sensor failing? Is this 1-2 degrees average signs of the timing chain needing to be changed?

I averaged no more than 2 degrees. There was two instances where I feel like I got false readings, both occurred around 5200rpm, the first is at 6.03 of the log (16 deg) and the second is at 6.08 (51 deg). Is this signs of my cam sensor failing? Is this 1-2 degrees average signs of the timing chain needing to be changed?

How long ago was this kit bought? The first round of our limiters were cut wrong and only allow 2deg of cam/4deg at crank retard. That appears to be your issue looking at this log. But that issue was very very short lived as we caught that error before many of them got out.
    ShorTuning

Tuner in Training
    I bought it back in July of last year. The limiter was on back order, so I bought one from Michigan Motorsports. I did receive the one that was on back order though.