Thread: 2013 silverado 5.3 wont idle in park

Advanced Tuner

2013 silverado 5.3 wont idle in park

I am working on a 2013 5.3 truck for a family member. Truck norris cam and headers is the only mods. The truck will not idle in park/neutral at all and is surging very bad/wont stabilize. It will idle in gear ok. I have reduced the virtual torque below 1200 with not much effect, raised and lowered idle spark and airflow which didnt help either. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am currently back to stock on virtual torque. Also i am in the process of getting it dialed in with the wideband, It is fairly close.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    Main thing to "get it running and idling with a cam"..
    Increase your Airflow Final Minimum Tables: add another 20% below 1200 rpms
    Cut your Idle Adaptive Spark Tables by 20-50%
    Increase your base Idle Rpm to 775-800 in Park. 675-750 in Gear.

This should help you get it to idle OK and then you can work on other areas. Truck Norris cam has a pretty tight Lobe Sep Angle

Advanced Tuner
    I have dialed in the ve and am back to maf tuning. Still not idling in park. I have raised the airflow minimum and have the in gear really close but cant get the in park stable enough to know what is going on. Ive also raised idle some more and played with the base spark and under/overspeed tables.

Advanced Tuner
    Here is the current latest files.

Advanced Tuner
    Not sure what worked but the truck is now idling successfully. Seems i may have fouled the spark plugs since now after all the excessive idling and dialing in maf and ve it has a misfire under load. Tune he paid for looked like the truck had never met a wideband.

Tuner in Training
    How is this tune going now that you have the idling under control? I am finishing up on a 2008 4.8 with NSR Truck Norris and I am thinking very seriously about installing the higher lift model in my 2013 5.3. BTR CAMS are being pushed right now in my area so figured I should go with the same.

I have some stock logs of this model with VVT, Flex, DOD disabled if this would help compare the new CAM and headers.

Advanced Tuner
    It is running and driving excellent. Truck pulls hard but would be more fun with a stall.