Thread: issue with procharged 22 camaro ss starting/wont start?

Tuner in Training

issue with procharged 22 camaro ss starting/wont start?

So I got a 22 camaro ss here, procharger p1 installed, has lt4 inj, lt4 HPFP, otherwise basically a stock car.

Customer said he had it running with the stock tune just didnt run great, assumed it was because he didnt have lt4 inj data in the tune.

Now it wont start up at all regardless of what tune is on it, stock or modified with lt4 inj/hpfp data

I did notice when attempting to start HPFP was dropping very low, 50-100 psi when it didnt fire, but didnt know if that was just a result of it not firing up or an actual issue.

Is this abnormal? Should this combo fire right up on a stock tune? Could the plugs be bad after running with inproper injector data/too rich? What am I missing here?

Tuning Addict
    Tune if nothing else needs to be posted....... Did you change anything in the hpfp section - if wrong axis used it'll cause problems.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Tune if nothing else needs to be posted....... Did you change anything in the hpfp section - if wrong axis used it'll cause problems.
    I pretty much copied over LT4 injectors and HPFP data from an LT4 car tune and changed the MAP settings for the 3 bar as a base file, figured it would fire up and I could actually datalog and work on the tune lol...didnt think getting it to start would even be a concern at all. I messed with it a bit otherwise, tried giving it more fuel, less fuel, more timing, less timing, but the thing didnt wanna fire regardless. Im wondering if maybe the plugs are fouled somehow with him running it with lt4 injectors and a stock tune? Or is that unlikely?

edit 1.hpt
    Last edited by justinschmidt1; 02-04-2023 at 10:11 PM.

Tuner in Training
    crank attempt.hpl

heres alog of the attempted crank, not much to see there, hpfp I assume would come up if it actually cranked up

Tuning Addict
    Under the hpfp tab put the pulse params back like they were and the fuel pump dc voltage back. Also hot soak and desired pressures.

The pulse params in particular will cause a lot of problems - don't know if they're locked elsewhere in the cal or what, but I've had them bite me a few times.

Now as far as the plugs goes - it can go either way - changing the tune caused them to flood or they were already coated and once dried they're shorting out. Had that happen once before working on startup and if it won't fire on either cal anymore - I would check them.
    Last edited by GHuggins; 02-04-2023 at 11:45 PM.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    Under the hpfp tab put the pulse params back like they were and the fuel pump dc voltage back. Also hot soak and desired pressures.

The pulse params in particular will cause a lot of problems - don't know if they're locked elsewhere in the cal or what, but I've had them bite me a few times.

Now as far as the plugs goes - it can go either way - changing the tune caused them to flood or they were already coated and once dried they're shorting out. Had that happen once before working on startup and if it won't fire on either cal anymore - I would check them.

I will give it a try, he also has a LT4 LPFP in tank, thas why I changed to the lt4 settings on the pump dc voltage but Ill put those items back and see if it helps any.

did try with the stock settings as well and it still wouldnt start like that,so yea im def gonna pull a few plugs and see what they look like, wouldnt be surprised if theyre causing problems at this point

Tuner in Training
    fouledp lug.jpg

Im pretty certain the isssue is the plugs are all fouled up from being started on the bigger injectors with improper injector data

Tuning Addict
    I'd say time for new plugs for sure. You still need to change the other stuff too.

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    I'd say time for new plugs for sure. You still need to change the other stuff too.
    Yea, ended up being the plugs LOL

threw new plugs in with the base file I had worked up with the tweaks you mentioned and it started right up and leveled out no problem

assuming they got destroyed running without a tune and all the fuel stuff added

Tuning Addict
    Good to hear. Just watch out with changing some of the hpfp stuff on these - you have to change some things for cam lobes, but that and hpfp pressures are about as far as I would alter things. I've even had a fuel pressure offset setting cause the throttle to close on one very recently - never had that before... Seems like the newer they are, the more "safeties" they have in them for "background" protections....

~Greg Huggins~