Thread: required Fuel pressure for LS3

required Fuel pressure for LS3

Alright guys so I fix one problem and another one pops up like whack a mole. I'm not sure what's going on but I think that maybe my fuel pump is going out or something because when I floor it now around 6k rpm it drops fuel pressure to 50 psi and cut's timing to -10 is where I have the torque management set to. Could someone please take a look at my log and tell me what you think? It does it at the time 11:32 and some other times too. Thanks guys.

Camaro log with cut out at high rpm.hpl
    Camaro SS3 best tune 2 test.hpt

Fuel delivery issue. Pressure dropped, AFR went to 13 to 1. FPCM was commanding 58. Need to daig it. Restriction? Bad pump? plugged screen? higher requirement due to power adders? Maybe even a higher E content than what it is thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    Fuel delivery issue. Pressure dropped, AFR went to 13 to 1. FPCM was commanding 58. Need to daig it. Restriction? Bad pump? plugged screen? higher requirement due to power adders? Maybe even a higher E content than what it is thinking.
    All I did was remove the cats and went with a true x pipe among all the other mods I've done main thing being a GPI SS3 vvt camshaft. So do you think that is why it also pulled timing? And it's been a couple weeks since I did the exhaust work. Maybe pump starting give out, it does have a 171k miles on it.

Senior Tuner
    It loosing 8 psi isn't a huge deal. Most will loose a couple.. Its on the edge of excessive but without seeing pump duty cycle and learns its hard to say for sure.

The huge timing dip in the middle of one run looks like that VVE error but the tune appears to be in speed density. Does it pick up a MAF code after driving? Could be a bad ground too.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

No it doesn't have a maf code and the tune should be in maf only.

Is there a way to log pump duty cycle?

You are at 13 to 1 AFR at full throttle, 100% load. Needs more fuel one way or another
    Last edited by TheMechanic; 02-06-2023 at 10:36 AM.

Ok understood. Thank you.

I'm N/A right now and it will be a while before I go to boost. I'm driving a 2012 Camaro SS Auto with the stock pump on a built engine. If I go to a ZL1 fuel pump, can I just change the pump and reuse my SS fpcm or do I need a ZL1 one? And is there tuning that must be done?

Senior Tuner
    Datalog the fuel pump duty cycle and long and short term fuel pump trims also.

13:1 isn't overly lean.. I don't know what your targeting but the fuel pressure isn't the reason why it is lean.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    Datalog the fuel pump duty cycle and long and short term fuel pump trims also.

13:1 isn't overly lean.. I don't know what your targeting but the fuel pressure isn't the reason why it is lean.
    Well I couldn't get it to hic cup again but here is the log. I messed around with my braf settings again, that wouldn't effect it would it? Thanks Alvin
    fuel pump log.hpl
    Camaro SS3 best tune 3 test.hpt
    L99 A6 - DSS FX Forged Piston's, Eagle ESP L19 Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, LS9 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnion Upgrade, TSP Chrome Molly Pushrods, BTR .660 Valve Springs, GM Hollow Intake Valves, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, IR EGM-205 Oil Pan Baffle, CAI Intake, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, ZL1 Pump, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter

Senior Tuner
    it does appear like the pump is weak. Its trying to add to pump dc and the pump is near 100%. Its not an emergency. I do think you an get the AFR down from where you are but I'd think about putting a pump in it soon.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com

Thanks Alvin

Kind of off topic but could someone tell me why my EQ Err on the graph isn't logging. Do I need to add the channel equivalence ratio for it to work?
    L99 A6 - DSS FX Forged Piston's, Eagle ESP L19 Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, LS9 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnion Upgrade, TSP Chrome Molly Pushrods, BTR .660 Valve Springs, GM Hollow Intake Valves, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, IR EGM-205 Oil Pan Baffle, CAI Intake, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, ZL1 Pump, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter