Thread: LQ4 Turbo Base Tune Review

Potential Tuner

LQ4 Turbo Base Tune Review

I am putting together a 2003 S10 Blazer with a LQ4 turbo and I plan on running 12LBS of boost, I am new to tuning but have been reading the LaSota THE ULTIMATE GM EFI TUNING GUIDE and the Dan Maslic Master EFI tuner books, I have primarily built the base tune off of the both books and since I am new I wondered if someone could review the tune and give me pointers? I am a few months away from being able to buy the rest of the parts needed to finish so I have time to learn some more about tuning and get the base tune right before I start it up.

The build is:
    Lq4 rings gapped 30/28
    317 heads with Trick flow springs matched cam
    Summit 8706 cam 226/230 @ .050 .600/.575 lift
    4L80e
    3000 Summit Pro LS stall (Still need to get)
    TBSS intake
    Injector dynamics 1050.34.14.15.8 injectors
    92mm Throttle body
    Hooker LS turbo manifolds
    Onn3 84 MM billet wheel turbo
    VS Racing VSR44WG Wastegate
    VS Racing VSR50BOV Blow Off Valve
    Ford 9" 3.73 gears
    Cal Tracs
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by MukIT; 02-06-2023 at 08:10 AM.

Senior Tuner
    There are quite a few things that need to be changed before you fire it up, but we don't have enough information to help you finish it.

Which MAP sensor are you going to run? Whichever you decide to use, make sure you enter the correct characterization data for it.
    What fuel pump(s) are you running? Are you using a boost referenced regulator?

The VE table is likely going to be too rich at idle, then way too lean at anything between idle and 2 psi boost. It'll likely be way too rich above 125 kPa.

The idle speed table and Base Air Flow tables will have to be increased for that cam.

The ETC scalar that was changed can be put back to stock. It's only applicable to Electronic Throttle Control applications.

Change the three MAF DTCs to MIL on First Error.

It would be best to zero the Base fuel spark adder table (12626). As it is, it'll add up to 10 degrees of unwanted spark advance.

You'll want to max out the 14040, 14041, 4020 and 14030 Diagnostic tables.

It looks like table 440 was toggled from 4L60E to 4L80E. That won't affect anything in the system. It will have to be segment swapped in order to have the 4L80E function.

Disable brake torque management.

Change table 750 to "Fan #2" if you're using two fans.
    Last edited by kevin87turbot; 02-06-2023 at 08:50 AM.

Potential Tuner
    I will be running the 12592525 GM performance map sensor, Walbro 450 fuel pump and boost referenced fuel pressure regulator.

I will change the ETC scaler back and go over the other suggestions you made as soon as I can and repost and hopefully get it better.

Thank you Kevin for you input I greatly appreciate it.

Also should I run a MAF or stick with SD?
    Last edited by MukIT; 02-06-2023 at 10:07 AM.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MukIT View Post
    I will be running the 12592525 GM performance map sensor, Walbro 450 fuel pump and boost referenced fuel pressure regulator.

I will change the ETC scaler back and go over the other suggestions you made as soon as I can and repost and hopefully get it better.

Thank you Kevin for you input I greatly appreciate it.

Also should I run a MAF or stick with SD?

Good deal. Use 312.5 for the linear data and -11.25 for the offset on that MAP.

SD is the way to go with that combo.

Advanced Tuner
    What are you future goals with this?
    84mm turbo on a 6.0 with only a 44mm WG could have some pretty fun boost creep in 2nd and 3rd gear

Potential Tuner
    I am open to suggestions on wastegate size or anything really. this is my forray into turbo and fuel injection so it is a learning curve. I have always built Carbureted vehicles before this.

Two 44mm wastegates, one on each bank, and given priority flow, works pretty well. If you want to have the ability to dial the power down you can't have too much wastegate. Better to have more capacity than needed and end up not needing it than having to rip it all out and start over.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    There are quite a few things that need to be changed before you fire it up, but we don't have enough information to help you finish it.

Which MAP sensor are you going to run? Whichever you decide to use, make sure you enter the correct characterization data for it.
    What fuel pump(s) are you running? Are you using a boost referenced regulator?

The VE table is likely going to be too rich at idle, then way too lean at anything between idle and 2 psi boost. It'll likely be way too rich above 125 kPa.

The idle speed table and Base Air Flow tables will have to be increased for that cam.

The ETC scalar that was changed can be put back to stock. It's only applicable to Electronic Throttle Control applications.

Change the three MAF DTCs to MIL on First Error.

It would be best to zero the Base fuel spark adder table (12626). As it is, it'll add up to 10 degrees of unwanted spark advance.

You'll want to max out the 14040, 14041, 4020 and 14030 Diagnostic tables.

It looks like table 440 was toggled from 4L60E to 4L80E. That won't affect anything in the system. It will have to be segment swapped in order to have the 4L80E function.

Disable brake torque management.

Change table 750 to "Fan #2" if you're using two fans.
    I made changes hopefully I did exactly as instructed and did not make it worse. 2003 Blazer_Updated_v2.hpt

Senior Tuner
    That looks much better. I'd remove the PE time delay and disable the Brake torque management from table 18150 by changing the "1" to a "0". Then you'll be ready to start tuning.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    That looks much better. I'd remove the PE time delay and disable the Brake torque management from table 18150 by changing the "1" to a "0". Then you'll be ready to start tuning.
    Thank you so much for all of your advice it is greatly appreciated!

Tuner in Training
    new here, just searching, reading, learning, and searching some more.....

maybe i missed it here somewhere , but what is brake torque management and what will setting it to 0 do ?
    from how its said i gather 0 will disable it, but what exactly is being disabled???
    not sure i understand what it is

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by newbie1987 View Post
    not sure i understand what it is
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXv4zrv6ZuU
    google is your friend