Thread: Gen 1 Coyote Forced Induction (6R80)

Potential Tuner

Lightbulb Gen 1 Coyote Forced Induction (6R80)

Howdy ya'll! I've wanted to share my first tune that I have been working on for some months now. I'm still a beginner, but am working with a '12 F-150 with a 1st gen Coyote and 6R80. Let me know what ya'll think! I'd love to hear back from others of their thoughts, critiques, and overall opinions of the tune. I have 2 variants of this tune. One with VCT (the daily tune) and the other without VCT (track tune) using cam lockouts. This tune has the VCT enabled. Unfortunately a dyno in my area is hard to come by, so this has all been done using VCM scanner.

A good amount of the engines tune has been assisted with the help of Evans Performance Academy Gen 1 training modules (SUPER helpful by the way!!)

The trans tune has been based off of the Magnuson supercharger tune (as far as the shift pressures, oncoming / offcoming elements go)
    The shift schedule / tcc apply release has been reworked by me for the high stall converter / turbo application.

Overall, the tune feels pretty refined. The truck responds really well to it.

Here is a lists of mods that have been done to the engine / trans:

Engine:

- Forged bottom end (11:1 CR)
    - King main / rod bearings
    - Comp Cams 191160 camshafts
    - ARP studs (heads/main)
    - Billet oil pump (housing/gear)
    - Billet timing gear
    - Billet chain guides
    - Billet rear main housing
    - Boss 302 manifold
    - Ford perf valve covers
    - K&N PCV breathers
    - 62lb GT500 injectors
    - 440lph DW pump
    - Twin GT3076 billet turbochargers @ 7psi
    - MAF curve rescaled to fit 3" charge pipe
    - E85 fueling
    - A/C delete cause if you're going fast enough, its not needed

Transmission:

- CircleD 3800 billet 5 disc coverter
    - Stage 3 clutches
    - Billet intermediate shaft

Side notes: VCT scheduling is lock in optimum power

I've had a really pleasant experience tuning with HPtuners. The forum has been extremely helpful with a good community.

How close are you to running out of MAF with it in a 3" tube? I ran into some issues a while back with a 3" charge pipe setup where no matter what we did it would cut out at a certain load point, only to find that the car was out of MAF.
    Owner/Tuner@Evolution Automotive Performance
    Lincoln, Ne

Potential Tuner

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Evo8john View Post
    How close are you to running out of MAF with it in a 3" tube? I ran into some issues a while back with a 3" charge pipe setup where no matter what we did it would cut out at a certain load point, only to find that the car was out of MAF.
    In the past, I had some issues with the MAF being WAY out wack and needing to be rescaled running a 3" pipe.

Here's what I would recommend to do:

- In the editor, under Engine / Airflow / General, make sure to have MAF Adaption disabled, Cyl Antic disabled, and Initialization Switch disabled before logging the MAF
    - Use the WOT tuning channel / Coyote Layout to log MAF ( I've attached both )
    - Make sure you have the Layout match your Airflow vs Period table before starting the log
    - Open VCM scanner and log the MAF
    - Copy logged data after a few runs, go to Airflow vs Period and "paste special - multiply by half %"
    - Flash and repeat until satisfied.

If you are still getting "cuts" after the MAF rescale, use the WOT tuning channel and look at "Spark Source / Fuel source" and see what it references at the cut.

For example:

"Spark source" will be referencing "borderline" - "MBT base" "knock" or "TIP IN KNOCK" etc..
    "Fuel source" will be referencing "Stoich" - "TIP IN injector cut" etc..

My issues were not ONLY the MAF being bad, but I was getting "TIP IN KNOCK" and "Injector cut" due to misfires from fouled plugs and bad coil packs. I replaced the spark plugs with NGKs with a heat range of 7, and OEM coilpacks along with a new MAF. After the rescale of the MAF at this point, the cuts went away.

Side note:

Have you messed with fuel tables / spark tables at all before the MAF? The best advice someone has ever given me is "K.I.S.S." or "keep it simple stupid". Engines need 3 components to run; Air, fuel, spark.
    Do you have air?
    Do you have fuel?
    Do you have spark?

Once you know what you don't have, the process becomes much easier. Hope this helps!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    How good does your trans shift under boost and normal driving? Im trying to dial in my trans and its kicking my but trying to get the shifts correct. I have a few questions

1. What parameters firm up the shifts? I have been researching and reading but somewhat confusing.

2. What needs to change if anything for the Circle D convertor? I have a similar converter with a single turbo

3.Where did you find the magneson Tune? I've looked in the repository to do a compare file with mine.

4. Have you had any training or know of good training info on the 6R80 tuning? I have the Evans Performance Academy training but auto tuning isn't touched on in that training.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Radialoutlaw View Post
    How good does your trans shift under boost and normal driving? Im trying to dial in my trans and its kicking my but trying to get the shifts correct. I have a few questions

1. What parameters firm up the shifts? I have been researching and reading but somewhat confusing.

2. What needs to change if anything for the Circle D convertor? I have a similar converter with a single turbo

3.Where did you find the magneson Tune? I've looked in the repository to do a compare file with mine.

4. Have you had any training or know of good training info on the 6R80 tuning? I have the Evans Performance Academy training but auto tuning isn't touched on in that training.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you

The trans shifts very well in any condition I've thrown at it (under boost and in normal daily conditions)

As far as the trans tuning goes:

1. Firming up the shifts will be under Trans/Shift Pressures/Upshift. In here, you have you Oncoming Clutch and Offgoing cluth tables that are based off of pressure. Increasing these will result in a more firm shift. Keep in mind, you have a ceiling of 150psi from the factory. To increase this, under Trans/Shift Pressures/General/Max Pressure and increase this value. I recommend no more than 200psi to be on the safe side.

2. To adjust converter lock up rate / desired slip you will need to go to Trans/Torque Converter. under the General tab, you'll find the slip tables. Since Circle D high stall converters are designed to slip mechanically, you'll want to zero out the TCC Desired slip tables. To change the initial slip based on RPM / or change when the converter goes to full lock, go to Trans/Torque Converter/Apply&Release. Here you will see all the tables you need to change for converter lock up based on current engine running conditions. Make sure when you change the apply and release, the graphs don't intersect.

3. The magneson tune is on the tune repository. It should be for a 2013 F150 if I'm not mistaken

4. I've had hands on training with the 6R80 and have learned alot of my knowledge for this trans from the community of HPtuners.

Hope this helps!!