Thread: Tuning and Throttle Lag Time???

Tuning and Throttle Lag Time???

On another board they are claiming some tuning product call devil or diablo (something like that) can change the lag time experience with drive by wire throttle control.

I had my truck tuned by a guy who uses HP Tuners (he specialized in Vetts and Cameros) and he claimed not much could be done thru tuning to make up for throttle lag time

Apparently this is why some guys like Pedal Commander.

So what's the deal? Can this devil tuner make adjustments to take away throttle lag time and HP Tuners cannot?

Or, is the guy that tuned my ride mistaken and HP Tuners can actually take away throttle lag time?

Hi, I am having the same problem so am interested in the replies.

The tuner I worked with claimed to have been using HP Tuners for years and was unable to make any significant changes to throttle response using the HP Tuners program

No responses... Apparently it is actually true that HP Tuners software cannot do anything to make up for throttle lag time

I guess getting a Pedal Commander or similar product is the way to go for this issue. Glad we got this all cleared up.

Advanced Tuner
    No log, no tune, no indication of what truck platform this relates to, and no indication of the modifications to said unknown truck platform...

Quote Originally Posted by Rockrz View Post
    On another board they are claiming some tuning product call devil or diablo (something like that) can change the lag time experience with drive by wire throttle control.

I had my truck tuned by a guy who uses HP Tuners (he specialized in Vetts and Cameros) and he claimed not much could be done thru tuning to make up for throttle lag time

Apparently this is why some guys like Pedal Commander.

So what's the deal? Can this devil tuner make adjustments to take away throttle lag time and HP Tuners cannot?

Or, is the guy that tuned my ride mistaken and HP Tuners can actually take away throttle lag time?
    Yes, the DiabloSport tools can adjust a "Throttle Boost" setting... There are torque tables that get adjusted to improve/increase throttle response... BUT - that setting/adjustment is only available in 2014 or newer vehicles/ECM's... -----
    Those settings/tables, do not exist in the ECM for your 2012 truck...
    Last edited by 06MonteSS; 02-09-2023 at 10:25 AM.
    06MonteSS

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, Custom paint-matched Bowtie emblems, Custom painted SS emblems, BMR strut tower brace, CAI - Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Bo White Ported/Polished throttle body, Custom DiabLew Tune

Senior Tuner
    The pedal commanders take what you inputted and adds to it.. So its like you are moving your foot faster/further.

On most GEN 3 and 4 stuff you can't make significant or meaningful changes to the throttle vs pedal tables without getting some bad errors/problems.

I'll say this.. most of the "lag" people complain about isn't related to FBW or anything like that.. they are just lazy tunes. I never touch the throttle tables in GEN 3 or 4 vehicles but hear back from customers about how great the throttle response is after.

Timing down low is mostly responsible for this..

There is a service bulletin on GEN 5 trucks about the pedal mount flexing.. That is a huge source of a soggy pedal in 14+ trucks.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuning Addict
    What Alvin said, but there's also work arounds for slow throttle response. Just not the normal adjusted items as they can get dangerous...

Diablo's throttle boost is just adjusting the driver demand tables on newer gen V platforms. You can do the same thing by changing the etc scaler or baro tables on the gen 4's. Gen 3's you can adjust the etc scaler, but causes more headaches than it's worth... You can also make small tweaks to the throttle tables themselves, but again as Alvin stated a good timing adjustment combined with other things will get you leaps and bounds more than anything diablo will give you.

Plus a lot of throttle response is in the trans tune - getting it to downshift quick like it needs to.

The reason you aren't getting many post is because it's in the wrong section. Better to ask under the vehicle you have whether it be a gen 3,4 or 5 GM
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC