Thread: 8.1 idle help

8.1 idle help

So I got this 8.1 dbc stuff figured out by using a bone stock 6.0 file and transferring over the inj date and ve table from the 8.1. It now starts runs drives great my only issue at his point is my idle. Its a stock 8.1 with a decent cam that I had tick grind for me its a 224/234-112+2 so its got about 5 degrees overlap. My issue is some times when I drop the truck in gear it wants to die other times it is fine. I have tried the russ k config and it wants me to take air away from it but when I do it wants to die all the time. Any ideas? Here are a the most current tune and log.
    dually 8.1 idle spark 25 2 more air.hpt
    8.1 idle.hpl

Advanced Tuner
    dually 8.1 idle spark 25 2 more airtry.hpt
    Try that. It dead pans the min IAT at what looks like a happy Place for stable idle and lets the idle spark manage the idle speed. See what it does for the park to gear stumble

I will give it a try first thing in the morning. Thank you

8.1 idle iac up to 60.hpl
    It still wants to under run and die once in a while. I even bumped the counts up to 60 in that area where you changed it to 40. But it still wants to drop down to around 500 rpm. Sometimes is catches itself and other times it dies

Advanced Tuner
    Ok keep going. I had one that took 175 before this issue went away. The idle spark adjust is ramping up really high when put into gear which says to me more airflow is needed. try 100 as the minimum and see what you get.

Is there a reason why adjusting the iac counts is better than just giving it more throttle blade with the screw?

I set it to 80 counts and that fixed the park to gear issue so thank you very much for that. Do you have any thoughts on throttle blip in say a parking lot and then it wants to die instantly after the throttle input?

Advanced Tuner
    Get that issue on a data log and lets look at the new data. I have a few thoughts. Add if not already throttle cracker and follower. I like to add this method on top of adjusting the idle screw. Sometimes the idle screw alone is not enough. After all, we can only go so far before the tps will not reset to zero.